headlight options for cruisers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 17th, 2012, 11:24 am Thread Starter

headlight options for cruisers

Hey guys,

Not been around much lately, but still look to you guys for the best advice. I have been helping some folks that own several bikes with their maintenance. They are wanting better headlights on a couple of cruisers (750 Shadows) that they own. What all is out there - from mild to wild? I know from experience that the HIDs give out great light, but then you have to carry spare bulb to fit the particular kit etc. What else?

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 17th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Re: headlight options for cruisers

I have several bikes, and wonder about the lighting thing too. The real limiting factor is going to be the bikes electrical output. Ya gotta' be careful not to overload that. I see a lot of folks having to put LED turn signals and brake lights in just to lighten the load to compensate for more forward lighting. Some guys will even unplug one headlight bulb to help.
My own belief is that aux lighting might be best, thus only used when necessary to avoid over taxing your system.
LED aux lighting would be the best bet if you're working on a bike with limited output. That and, as you said, HID.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 18th, 2012, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Go with HID.
Brighter.
Less Power Consumption, so it dose not tax the electrical system.
Easy mod to install.
They'll never go back to incandescent.

Check with our supporting vendor, XenonDepot, they'll hook you up.
+1 if you want to see out better than the stock lighting..

HID is the first thing to try ... most of the rest increase your visibility,but that too has limits.

My feelings though on being seen:

I think that a big part of the visibility problem / concern on a motorcycle is not that the other motorist doesn’t see the motorcycle; it’s that he doesn’t recognize it and take action in time.

What I mean buy this is that the eye does physically “see” the motorcycle, The picture is on the brain. His brain just doesn’t recognize it in time to take action either way. Action being to not pull out or over or action to stop. All of the lights in the world won’t make much of a difference.

It is the same as someone in a car driving into a train. “How can that happen?” The train is so big and so loud!

The motorist brain did “see” the train. It just wasn’t recognized in time to take action. It was not expected so “it was not there.”

My point is that no matter how many lights you add to your bike, YOU have to be the one to be ready to take the action. Don’t expect the other motorist to avoid you or stop for your lights.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 7:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
+1 if you want to see out better than the stock lighting..

HID is the first thing to try ... most of the rest increase your visibility,but that too has limits.

My feelings though on being seen:

I think that a big part of the visibility problem / concern on a motorcycle is not that the other motorist doesn’t see the motorcycle; it’s that he doesn’t recognize it and take action in time.

What I mean buy this is that the eye does physically “see” the motorcycle, The picture is on the brain. His brain just doesn’t recognize it in time to take action either way. Action being to not pull out or over or action to stop. All of the lights in the world won’t make much of a difference.

It is the same as someone in a car driving into a train. “How can that happen?” The train is so big and so loud!

The motorist brain did “see” the train. It just wasn’t recognized in time to take action. It was not expected so “it was not there.”

My point is that no matter how many lights you add to your bike, YOU have to be the one to be ready to take the action. Don’t expect the other motorist to avoid you or stop for your lights.
Oh yeah PERCEPTION is a big part of reacting to something. I think these folks are wanting to see better at night, more than being seen. But thanks for the recommendations.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in