Dakar - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

Smile Dakar

hey all;

Anyone watching the Dakar this year? Would love to discuss as it goes.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 7:13 pm

Re: Dakar

I try to watch it every year. When it was canceled due to terrorists threats, it was a sad day. The ones afterward were not as good, and had pretty poor coverage until last year, that one was pretty decent. Still far to sparse coverage though, a far cry from a few years ago.

Which tv broadcaster is carrying it this year?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 11:27 pm

Sbs Tv

I am completely enamored by the Dakar Rallye, following it for many, many years.

US coverage, unfortunately, always sucked and still sucks to high heaven. I do not have access to Eurovision anymore, which used to be much better.

For last several years I found Australian TV's webcast to be the best:
http://www.sbs.com.au/dakar/#. Highlights are posted every night,with occasional "human interest" featurettes inbetween

Also, I invite you to visit ADVrider Racing Forum , which contains many detailed and spirited threads on this subject, including photo and video reportage, as well as posts by actual Rallye participants.

2012 Dakar Rallye starts the day after New Year's. Enjoy!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Dec 23rd, 2011 at 11:37 pm.

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 24th, 2011, 10:51 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: Dakar

Cant wait. Its like the start of racing season for me. Not the Nascar stuff, real european type stuff. No disrespect to the nascar guys.
It was truly a sad day when terrorist actually would want to shoot at racers. The POINT?
But anyways, yes the USA coverage is terrible. 1/2 hour a night, are they kidding. I dont think they realize there is a billion watchers for there advertisers.
I heard it is on Versus again. But last year there was some sort of contact crap and versus went off the air during it.I only had internet reading. You think Coma will win his 4th.
Alot of guys on KTMs again since BMW dropped out. Should be good.
And they say the Baja is a hard race, yea right, try 10000k and get back to me. Or well, one more week.
Im only a little passionate, excuse me. lol

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Dakar

Hey All;

Did you see the Dakar highlights. USA guy Cody, HARD crash is an understatement. Out of the Rally. Coma takes wrong turn drops 10 min. Depres in lead. Still early.

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Both US motorcycle hopes now out, Looks like it is going to be a shoot-out between Marc Coma and Cyril Despres, again. Of course anything can happen, and there are a couple other riders showing quite well in the early stages.

Considerably better coverage this year, just wish it was an hour show instead of half hour. They have to cram so much in the show I know we are missing a lot. They are spending more time on the trucks this year, good, also more time on the quads, bad. I just cannot get into the quads. I like the cars, motorcycles, and the big trucks.

Robby Gordon's Hummer team doing pretty well, in spite of some problems
Today Gordon said they do not have enough parts to keep both Hummers going for the whole Dakar, he picked up Al-Attyah late in the game due to VW pulling out this year, now they are babying the parts and tires they do have. That could be their Achilles heel this year. They hit the big dunes tomorrow, where the Hummers should shine, if they can keep them both going.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 29th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Was afforded the opportunity to watch the Dakar Rally while posted to the American Embassy in Niamey, Niger (west Africa). The cars and trucks were neat to see careening through the desert sands, but the bikes were the most fun to watch. Well, I guess I was a tad prejudiced. Shortly thereafter they discontinued the African portion which was a real disappointment to all of us. We were looking to view it again the next year with a tailgate party but didn't happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in