Lane Splitting - Legal in your state? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Question Lane Splitting - Legal in your state?

Just found out it is a no-no in Kentucky. Anyone ever seen a list where it is OK and where it is not? Also wondering what the fine or penalty would be...

thanx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:10 pm

Not legal in Ohio, in fact you are entitled to the width of the whole lane, and quess what, so is the car.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:48 pm

Could not get around So. Cal. without learning the fine art of choosing when to and when not. Sure gives you a real quick lesson on controlling the beast in tight situations.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.

post #4 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:05 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
Just found out it is a no-no in Kentucky. Anyone ever seen a list where it is OK and where it is not? Also wondering what the fine or penalty would be...

thanx...
It's a short list...California.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #5 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

In Oregon it is very illegal. Watch out for Meese though... He is out to change this law.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #6 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:30 pm

Wyoming:

Land splitting, no - specificly mentioned by statute.

2 'cycles abreast - OK if both consent.

Found this site with info on all 50 states:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Some good info on more than just lane splits.

Are there really states that forbid helmet speakers???!!!

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Last edited by Zotter; Mar 14th, 2006 at 9:38 pm.
post #7 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:31 pm

Quote:

thanx...
Not legal in British Columbia, Canada. I believe the fine is $125.00.

Cheers, Bill
post #8 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Spoiled here in CA. I've done it a few other places... sheeesh, them cagers get downright hostile! The fun part is, that if traffic is truly jammed, the only way to get caught is by a LEO on a motor.

Whatter the odds???
post #9 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Louisiana not
post #10 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:45 pm

Quote:

thanx...
ONLY California "allows" it. There is NO regulation, statute, or law of any kind in the state that mentions in one way or the other. So, it is not specifically "Legal", since there is no mention of it in the rules, but neither is it "Illegal, for the same reason. The CHP states "Lane splitting is permissible if done in a safe and prudent manner". This is in a CHP brochure on motorcycles, and on the Frequently Asked Questions link on the CHP website.

BUT: Some local police may still stop you, for one the San Diego Police.

I did it every work day for 5 years though, about 5-6 miles worth per day commuting to work.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Oklahoma and Arkansas have no laws against lane splitting.. Probably just cite you for reckless driving...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #12 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
In Oregon it is very illegal. Watch out for Meese though... He is out to change this law.
and it darn sure ought to be changed. no reason for it not to be.
post #13 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Wyoming:
------------------------
Are there really states that forbid helmet speakers???!!!
Most stated forbid headphones that cover both ears to be worn while driving. Motorcycles are not singled out, so it applies there also. I know it is illegal in California, but not enforced to any extent. In fact, never heard of anyone being ticketed for it. Did have a couple people post on web groups that they got ticketed for wearing ear plugs though. That law has changed a little now, don't remember the wording, but you still can get ticketed for wearing earplugs if they don't meet the requirements.

One rider was stopped because his tail light was out, he removed his helmet, them pulled out his earplugs and was promptly ticketed for them. Went to court, and lost.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #14 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:52 pm
RMW

Cool

Lane splitting here in Ca. is a must do therefore, mirror tethers are a must have.

F150's with extended towing mirrors are evil creatures!

Teenage girls driving cars and using cell phones, even more evil.

Just random thoughts on the subject, never mind.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #15 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 1:34 am
Ted

Oregonians get downright hostile!! When I moved there in '99 I never checked - to be honest I didn't even cross my mind that it could be illegal - but it didn't take long to figure out it was.

In the Portland area, I split the entrance ramp from the 217 N to the 126 E during evening rush hour and this guy in a Camaro somehow managed to catch up to me and nearly ran me off the road. He was yellin' and screamin' to the point where I thought the veins in his neck were going to burst. So I split away from him, but noticed other drivers not being real happy with me slipping past them, too.

A few days later I stopped into a motorcycle shop and inquired - and the sales guy just laughed at me - said he envied Californians.

It was then I realized I must find my way back to the Golden State! It took me 3 years, and as long as I can ride I'll be living here.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #16 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:02 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Honestly, that's one of the reasons we decided not to move up there. No lane splitting and 50 mph freeways? Plus they have winter.

And Ted's right. Try and lane split in Oregon, and it's a personal affront to every other driver on the road. You might as well have stepped directly on them in order to advance yourself. Just don't ask what happens if a LEO sees you doing it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 5:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Spoiled here in CA. I've done it a few other places... sheeesh, them cagers get downright hostile! The fun part is, that if traffic is truly jammed, the only way to get caught is by a LEO on a motor.

Whatter the odds???
Ah, grasshopper, the cop radio evens odds.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #18 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:02 am
Ted

This was on my Ninja, too, so it's not like I was just squeezing by anyone. At first I thought it was my California plates (Oregonians really don't like Californians, either - call us "equity refugees") but then I realized I was getting the nasty looks BEFORE they saw my plates.

And, in some ways the traffic is much worse up there - just too many cars for the width of the roads (freeway or surface streets). Lived just over 7 miles from Nike and during rush hour it took about 30 minutes.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #19 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:30 am

As David points out, lane-splitting in CA is allowed, because it is not prohibited. In general, laws do not "allow" you to do something, they prevent or penalize.

In light of this, I believe AL also does not mention lane-splitting (or the legal jargon that describes it) in it's vehicle code, so it's not illegal, making it de facto legal.

That being said, in the real world, there is a rather striking difference between riding in SoCal or the Bay Area and riding in Alabama, even in their "big cities". In LA, virtually hours can be saved by lane-splitting.....rush hour in Birmingham pales by comparison.

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #20 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrosie
I believe AL also does not mention lane-splitting (or the legal jargon that describes it) in it's vehicle code.

-tom
Sorry, here is the code from AL that would cover lane splitting.

Title 32: Section 32-5A-242 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic (b) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (c) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #21 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:05 pm

Quote:
As David points out, lane-splitting in CA is allowed, because it is not prohibited. In general, laws do not "allow" you to do something, they prevent or penalize.

In light of this, I believe AL also does not mention lane-splitting (or the legal jargon that describes it) in it's vehicle code, so it's not illegal, making it de facto legal.

That being said, in the real world, there is a rather striking difference between riding in SoCal or the Bay Area and riding in Alabama, even in their "big cities". In LA, virtually hours can be saved by lane-splitting.....rush hour in Birmingham pales by comparison.

-tom
tom ... don't think that's quite correct. lane sharing is specifically spelled out in california law, as are restrictions for when you can and can't do it, and guidelines for how to do it safely.

the law was enacted years ago when air-cooled motorcycles were the norm, due to the fact that they tended to overheat when stuck in traffic, creating safety hazzards.
post #22 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Quote:

-tom
Oops, my bad. I was confusing AL with MS. The 'Tide vs. Ole Miss......I'll never live it down!!

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #23 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
tom ... don't think that's quite correct. lane sharing is specifically spelled out in california law, as are restrictions for when you can and can't do it, and guidelines for how to do it safely.

the law was enacted years ago when air-cooled motorcycles were the norm, due to the fact that they tended to overheat when stuck in traffic, creating safety hazzards.
That's news to me. The last time I researched the Vehicle Code, I could find no reference. Could you let me know in what section and paragraph that information can be found. Thanks.

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #24 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit

Please find that and post the reference information!

I and others have searched for this, and I specifically did a full search on the CA vehicle code, not one word exists that I can find. Two CHP officers, one a motorcycle training officer, said that there is no code or regulation regarding lane splitting. It may have been in there in the past, as I have heard several people mention it, but don't think it is there now.

Please proove me wrong!

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #25 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 1:33 pm

well i'll be switched. i just did a search and you are right ... it is not expressly legal, but it is not ILLEGAL. i just assumed it was because i was stopped once for doing it illegally ... warned, then sent on my way with no ticket. here is what the cop told me. you can only do it:

- during rush hour
- when there are two lanes going your direction
- when you can do it without weaving back and forth between lanes
- do no exceed the speed of the slowest lane by more than 5 mph

i've been doing it here in the bay area for about 16 years.

here are some references:

calif. motor vehicle code, which strongly discourages (but does not forbid) lane sharing ... see pg. 15:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

san fernando valley discussion group, which states that lane sharing is legal, but which does not provide a link to any vehicle code:

http://www.sfvbikenight.com/content.php?p=legal

i apologize for misstating the facts as i (mis)understood them.
post #26 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:03 pm

You're probably thinking of the drivers handbook they give you at test time. It did have an explaination and 'rules' for lane splitting at one time (perhaps still does) but I believe it phrased it as 'allowed' or not illegal rather than cite a code number making it specifically legal.
post #27 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Most stated forbid headphones that cover both ears to be worn while driving. Motorcycles are not singled out, so it applies there also. I know it is illegal in California, but not enforced to any extent. In fact, never heard of anyone being ticketed for it. Did have a couple people post on web groups that they got ticketed for wearing ear plugs though. That law has changed a little now, don't remember the wording, but you still can get ticketed for wearing earplugs if they don't meet the requirements.

One rider was stopped because his tail light was out, he removed his helmet, them pulled out his earplugs and was promptly ticketed for them. Went to court, and lost.
Ah, yea - headphones. Those are illegal here in Wyoming. But helmet speakers aren't - least according to that AMA page I linked to - gotta find me the rules on that to see how they differentiate.

Ear plugs - sheesh. Man, state to state bike laws're almost as convoluted as CCW laws.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #28 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
You're probably thinking of the drivers handbook they give you at test time. It did have an explaination and 'rules' for lane splitting at one time (perhaps still does) but I believe it phrased it as 'allowed' or not illegal rather than cite a code number making it specifically legal.
maybe ... more likely my conversations with that cop, and conversations i've had over the years with motorcyclists. i just assumed it was law.

that'll teach me.
post #29 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Ah, yea - headphones. Those are illegal here in Wyoming. But helmet speakers aren't - least according to that AMA page I linked to - gotta find me the rules on that to see how they differentiate.
I have the same questions here in Taxachusetts. I'm installing an intercom system, with the speakers mounted in the helmets. Does this qualify as headphones? FWIW, I'm not hooking the system up to the radio (rider/pillion, GPS and bike to bike only) so I will have the argument that I wasn't listening to stereo music.
I've seen a lot of bikes (GWs and LTs) with helmet mics, and I have to assume they have helmet speakers, but I've never seen or known of anyone pulled over in Mass because of them.

Lane splitting is illegal here. Try it, you won't need a cop to tell you it isn't (if you survive the attempt). I did it once in stop and go traffic on my way to Cape Cod one summer afternoon, and had someone in a pickup truck OPEN HIS DOOR right in front of me (he had been watching my slow progress in his rear view mirror).
post #30 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Even in California where it's allowed some cagers display their aggravation with someone else doing something they can't. I've been deliberately cut off, flipped off, honked at, and had things thrown at me. And I'm very cautious and polite when lane splitting. On the plus side, I've had a surprizingly large number of cars move over to allow me through the last couple of years. Maybe they are afraid that big LT heading their way will scratch their car as it squeezes past.
post #31 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
Even in California where it's allowed some cagers display their aggravation with someone else doing something they can't. I've been deliberately cut off, flipped off, honked at, and had things thrown at me. And I'm very cautious and polite when lane splitting. On the plus side, I've had a surprizingly large number of cars move over to allow me through the last couple of years. Maybe they are afraid that big LT heading their way will scratch their car as it squeezes past.
In 5 years of daily lane splitting, I only had TWO obvious attempts to block me. One was an out of state driver (John Wilson was following me, and let the driver know what the score was here) and one young girl in a raised 4X4. That girl was absolutely NOT going to let me by. I backed off, she slid back to the left, and when I thought she had realized she almost hit me, I tried again, only to have her swerve over again. That is when I just moved to the next lane, went by, and on my way. Know that pissed her off mightily.

As you noticed, MOST drivers in SoCal will move left if they know you are coming up.

Lordy am I going to miss that if I ever move back east and get another bike. That will be one strike against me getting another one, but in the area I am planning to move to hopefully it won't be missed as much as it would here. Less traffic!

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #32 of 63 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 9:20 pm

For the most part I agree, it doesn't happen often but it does happen. I suspect it has a lot to do with the roads we happen to be on. The areas I've experienced it the most have been heavily congested to the point the drivers are just plain pissed off to start with. Other areas have been incident free.
post #33 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:27 pm

You poor souls need to ride in Europe, and watch the traffic part for you as you approach (mostly). There is always the odd idiot who resents bikers riding through and will try and cut you up, but most people are courteous and move over to allow you free passage. Unfortunately there are also the odd bikers who insist on lane splitting at 90+ mph when the traffic is already moving at 80... On the motorways (freeways) round London and Paris you'd be crazy to ride a bike if you couldn't split through. The M25 around London during rush-hour is a parking lot, but I can ride the 100 miles from home to the channel tunnel in under 2 hours at the worst of times...

The best story I heard here last year was the guy who got pulled up for NOT splitting. He'd been riding down the center line for miles passing slow moving traffic but when he caught up to a cop car he pulled in behind and followed them. They pulled him over wanting to know why he hadn't passed them too! The thing to watch is to not cross a solid line as that really is illegal. You can get real close to it, but don't let your tire go on it for even a fraction - unless there are no cops around, of course.
post #34 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:46 pm

"LANE SPLITTING: Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes" From the AMA database for motorcyle laws in New Mexico. Does this make it leagal or does this make it a "judgement call" for the officer?

x2 2005 K1200LT, 1999 R1100S. All 3 sold. No bikes currently...
post #35 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 1:07 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerod521
"LANE SPLITTING: Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes" From the AMA database for motorcyle laws in New Mexico. Does this make it leagal or does this make it a "judgement call" for the officer?
Howdy Jerod,

Click HERE for definitive insights into lane-sharing/splitting.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #36 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 2:10 pm

Not legal here either

Don't try it in Virginia either! With court cost was $106.00 includes court cost and 6 points (reckless driving)
post #37 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 2:37 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigphoto
Don't try it in Virginia either! With court cost was $106.00 includes court cost and 6 points (reckless driving)
Here in California a rider splitting lanes could be written up for "reckless driving" as well.

That's why the CHP tosses out statements about how to do it as though they were part of some printed regulation. What they are really saying is that in THEIR judgement, this is how the practice should be performed. Totally subjective, but a reasonable stance considering the alternative.

I split lanes all the time, as long as it is SAFER to do so than not. I believe that the act of doing it properly, safely and with consideration for cages, more of the public and police accept it. I make it a habit to split lanes up to the front of the lines of cars when the light is red especially when there is an LEO stuck in the line. I've done it when they are at the front right next to me so they have a chance to roll the window down and say something, or even pull me over. I haven't had it happen yet, aside from a comment like, "nice bike". Not saying I won't get hassled...but, it has been 40,000 miles in every major city in California so far.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #38 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 3:07 pm

Riding in SoCal?

I don't even like to DRIVE in SoCal. I lived in the Bay Area for 20 years, and have relatives that see me about every three years - that' plenty of time down there!! I wouldn't trade Oregon for all of California.... the rate it's going down there, it probably won't be part of the US much longer anyway...
post #39 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 3:07 pm

Not legal in Indiana. jrlakin
post #40 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 3:13 pm

I suggest we all join the AMA and lobby for lane splitting to be legal in all states
Of course cagers will have to learn to play nice as most Californians do...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #41 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Howdy Jerod,

Click HERE for definitive insights into lane-sharing/splitting.

Thanks!

I guess it's not LEGAL anywhere in the US. It is just tolerated in some places.

x2 2005 K1200LT, 1999 R1100S. All 3 sold. No bikes currently...
post #42 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 4:36 pm

It is very illegal in Washington State. David Hough once did a piece about this in MCN. After riding in California a couple of times, I decided that cagers are generally more aware of bikes and more accommodating of bikes there than practically anywhere else in the country. I can only guess that this is because there are more bikes per capita there and, especially in SoCal, people pretty much ride year round.

I would be nervous about splitting lanes here because people are already oblivious to bikes occupying a normal lane position.

When I was a motorcycle courier in Washington D.C., it was common for smaller bikes to zip in between lanes of stopped cars to get up to an intersection. The Capitol Police -- who had Honda Trail 90s -- did this all the time, and generally turned a blind eye to others who did the same, as long as it was not creating a hazard for anyone. (Just don't try to ride on the sidewalks like they did!)
post #43 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 4:51 pm

I believe that it is legal as long as you don't get caught
Rock
post #44 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 5:10 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
I don't even like to DRIVE in SoCal. I lived in the Bay Area for 20 years, and have relatives that see me about every three years - that' plenty of time down there!! I wouldn't trade Oregon for all of California.... the rate it's going down there, it probably won't be part of the US much longer anyway...
That's funny, Bill, as I don't like riding in Oregon for exactly the opposite reasons. Sticking dead-on to the posted limit doesn't make you a safe driver, especially if you ignore everything else around you and plod along holding up the normal flow of traffic. Sometimes they drive up to 5 mph below the limit, usually in the far inside lane. And then when you do get a chance to go around them, they act like you physically stepped on them just to get ahead. It's just weird, I tell you.

The funniest thing was everyone freaking out last week because Portland got 1/2" of snow that didn't stick. Folks were scrambling to go home early, schools wanted to close, and everyone just pretended it was all so horrible so they could get a free day off of work. Then when the real snow hit this week, they all just stood there dumbfounded and the city pretty much shut down. Sheesh.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #45 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I suggest we all join the AMA and lobby for lane splitting to be legal in all states
Of course cagers will have to learn to play nice as most Californians do...
That's a great idea, but it would take a whole generation for drivers' training that included awareness of lane-splitting bikers to make it safe for us. Or, it would take a massive ad campaign. I can see a lot of rednecks around here (sorry, can't think of the politically-correct term) taking it upon themselves to run a lane-splitting bike off the road, or worse.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #46 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 6:21 pm

The lucky ones are not those that get to lane split.....but those that live and ride where you never feel a need to lane split.

Mick
'00LT Canyon red "Miss Ruby"
'99 LT Basalt grey "Coyote"
post #47 of 63 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 8:36 pm

Well lets expand this one..In the Commonwealth of VA you can get in all sorts of trouble without trying.

46.2-857. Driving two abreast in a single lane.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives any motor vehicle, including any motorcycle, so as to be abreast of another vehicle in a lane designed for one vehicle, or drives any motor vehicle, including any motorcycle, so as to travel abreast of any other vehicle traveling in a lane designed for one vehicle. However, this section shall not apply to any validly authorized parade, motorcade, or motorcycle escort, nor shall it apply to a motor vehicle traveling in the same lane of traffic as a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped

Beware of Iron Butting thru Virginia

46.2-812. Driving more than thirteen hours in twenty-four prohibited.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth for more than thirteen hours in any period of twenty-four hours or for a period which, when added to the time such person may have driven in any other state, would make an aggregate of more than thirteen hours in any twenty-four-hour period. The provisions of this section, however, shall not apply to the operation of motor vehicles used in snow or ice control or removal operations or similar emergency situations.

46.2-845. Limitation on U-turns.

The driver of a vehicle within cities, towns or business districts of counties shall not turn his vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction except at an intersection.

No vehicle shall be turned so as to proceed in the opposite direction on any curve, or on the approach to or near the crest of a grade, where the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of any other vehicle approaching from any direction within 500 feet.

and there is more....

46.2-826. Stop before entering public highway or sidewalk from private road, etc.; yielding right-of-way.

The driver of a vehicle entering a public highway or sidewalk from a private road, driveway, alley, or building shall stop immediately before entering such highway or sidewalk and yield the right-of-way to vehicles approaching on such public highway and to pedestrians or vehicles approaching on such public sidewalk.

Enjoy your stay in Virginia

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #48 of 63 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 5:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman
46.2-826. Stop before entering public highway or sidewalk from private road, etc.; yielding right-of-way.

The driver of a vehicle entering a public highway or sidewalk from a private road, driveway, alley, or building shall stop immediately before entering such highway or sidewalk and yield the right-of-way to vehicles approaching on such public highway and to pedestrians or vehicles approaching on such public sidewalk.
That one makes sense doesn't it? Blasting out into traffic is just plain rude. Driving on the sidewalk seems to be OK though.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #49 of 63 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 5:54 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith

Whatter the odds???
If traffic were heavy, it would likely be "rush hour." Odds just slightly greater than the price of the citation.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #50 of 63 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 6:33 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Ah, grasshopper, the cop radio evens odds.
Most disronerable ring rong: even to porice radio and porice herocopter not as fast as most ronerable crotch rocket ZX-14.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in