Just thought I would right a report on the iPhone 4 waterproof case and mount that I fixed to my LT.
But first, I will give you a history of my previous communication system.
I had an Autocom Pro-M1 hard wired to my Garmin 610 Sat-Nav and the bike radio. My iPhone 4 was linked to the Sat-Nav via Bluetooth. All worked really well, I could listen to the bike radio on the helmet speakers and control the volume, channel change etc from the handle bar controls. I could receive and make calls via the Sat-Nav and listen to my music loaded on the Sat-nav. But the down side was:
1. - Being linked to the bike by cables and all that entails.
2. - No communication with other bikers in my group.
3. Unable to play my music collection on the iPhone
4. Unable to use the Sav-nav feature on the iPhone (If my Garmin went down)
5. Unable to view text messages. (I know, I know Very dangerous) but with the iPhone in my pocket, I did not know if I had received any text messages. When I stopped, I would have to dig out the iPhone from my pocket to check normally in the rain.
So, I purchased a Scala Rider G4, iPhone 4 waterproof case and a handlebar ram mount.
Normally you would Bluetooth the iPhone to the Sat-Nav and Bluetooth the Sat-Nav to the Scala Rider G4. However my Garmin 610 Sat-Nav is not compatible with the Scala Rider. However, the Garmin 610 Sat-Nav has a built in FM transmitter, so I tuned it in to an unused channel and can pick it up on the Scala Rider G4`s radio (using one of the 6 preset channels). Due to the close proximity of the FM transmitter to the Scala Rider, it would take a very strong radio channel to block out the transmission.
So I have Sat-Nav instructions and Sat-Nav music direct to the helmet speakers
The other bonus of this arrangement is the fact that I can also tune the bikes radio to the same frequency and get the Sat-Nav`s instructions and the music on the Sat-Nav over the bikes speakers, with full usage of the handlebar controls (cool). Also very useful if the Scala Rider G4`s battery went dead.
I connected the iPhone to the Scala Rider G4 via Bluetooth. This gives me send and receive phone calls, full usage of my music on the iPhone. However, when making an outgoing call you would normally just speak the name of the person you wish to call, I found this to be very much hit and miss. This leads me on to the main reason for buying the iPhone waterproof case. I can safely select the name of the person I wish to call directly from the iPhone`s screen. Also, when a call comes in, I can see the name of the person ringing me on the iPhone`s screen and can decide to take it or not (very useful).
What have I achieved?
1. No cables
2. Full communication with my passenger and other bikers
(via the Scala Rider G4)
3. I have 3 sources of music to my helmet speakers.
Radio stations from the built in radio on the Scala Rider.
Music Library via FM transmitter on the Sat-Nav and
Music library on my iPhone.
4. - Able to utilise the Sat-Nav feature on the iPhone if the Garmin went down.
5. Able to see when a text message comes in stop the bike and read the text message without haveing to dig the phone out.
6. Another Gadget (boys and there toys)
The waterproof case is exactly as shown on the eBay site. Good quality product with full iPhone functionality while in the case.
I am sorry if this is very long winded, but if it is useful to anyone out there then it was worth it.
The following are the links to the iphone setup