Unbelievable sadness 2 Sundays in a row. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 4:24 am Thread Starter

Unbelievable sadness 2 Sundays in a row.

I sat in an AFB billeting room and watched the horrific IRL crash that took Dan Wheldon's life last week, watched the entire broadcast live. Then just now sitting in the same foreign apartment room watched Marco Simoncelli lose his young life to the sport he loved. Watched the entire broadcast live until the final announcement.

These are 2 great racers. Dan had won his championships, and I believe Marco was on his way to his championship in the next year or two.

Having been involved in each of these 2 sports at some level, I have had 2 tearful weekends in a row. It is sad to see the losses as well as the negative connotations associated with such loss.

I am sure that all on this site can truly appreciate the danger involved and the skill required of motor racing. But, there are those of us that will love it forever.

God bless these boys, as well as those that compete in the future.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 5:05 am
cws

Garage
Re: Unbelievable sadness 2 Sundays in a row.

Vale Simoncelli....
It was a horrifying crash, both Edwards and Rossi will be devastated. As the commentators said, absolutlely nothing they could do when Marco's bike veered across in front of them. They were incredibly lucky not to be badly injured also.
Despite the early season issues with his riding causing problems for others, he was a very talented rider who made watching MotoGP really exciting.
Very sad.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 4 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 6:20 am

Sad sad day. I knew the minute I saw his helmet was ripped off that it was not going to be good news, I spent the next hour hoping he would at least pull through.

A very sad day.

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 1:31 pm

My routine is usually to record the Moto GP events and watch them Sunday night in bed with my wife who has also become a fan. We had not heard or seen any news that day so the recorded event Sunday night was the first we had heard of the accident. As soon as it happened we both gasped in horrific disbelief hoping beyond hope for the best but knowing in our hearts that the outcome was not going to be a good one.

We sat there in silence for a long time with too many thoughts swirling in our heads. The image of Marco's girl friend, her face in her hands, the stunned looks on crew and rider's faces. The thought of Marco's family, friends and loved ones and the shock and horror they must have been experiencing in those moments.

The thought then went to my own children and my own 24-year old son... also a fan and sport-bike rider. The fragility of life... the precious moments we all too often take for granted.

The thought of my own riding habits and how I wanted to rededicate myself to impeccable attention to safety and defensive riding - not so much for me as for those that depend on and care for me.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you Marco.. and to your family.. Dio vi benedica!

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Blog:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in