Wife and I back from the Dragon - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 6:59 am Thread Starter

Wife and I back from the Dragon

Yep, she rode her 250 Ninja there and back. Unbelievable. And she loved riding the NC roads: the parkway one misty, moisty morning was fabulous. Rt 28 was a great warm up for the dragon. Then the dragon itself. First run through we passed three other bikes (should I say what make?) who graciously waved us through. She was a star. The next day we did the dragon again and then road the fabulous Cherahola Skyway. No words really express the pure joy of riding roads like these.
Now we're back and looking for a heftier bike for her. Maybe a Ninja 500 or a lowered CBR600. Not sure. Also looking for sturdier rain gear for her. Her suit got shredded on the way home. Had to hold it together with black electrical tape.
We did a lot of riding in the rain both going and returning. More on the return trip.
Longest day was 500 miles, most of it through rain.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 1:11 pm

Re: Wife and I back from the Dragon

You have one tuff woman. I don't think I could do that at my age on that small a bike. There ought to be some kind of reward for that....

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 1:26 pm

I don't know what type of rainsuit your wife was wearing but I would recommend Tourmaster or First Gear LINED rainsuits. Buy the top and bottom separately. You can get a good price from places like motorcyclecloseouts.com. You can probably get a suit for less than $70. It will last for years.

Stay away from the Frog Togg crap. (That's just one mans opinion)

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
I don't know what type of rainsuit your wife was wearing but I would recommend Tourmaster or First Gear LINED rainsuits. Buy the top and bottom separately. You can get a good price from places like motorcyclecloseouts.com. You can probably get a suit for less than $70. It will last for years.

Stay away from the Frog Togg crap. (That's just one mans opinion)
I use the Frogg Togg crap and it works very well for me. It goes on over my gear quickly and easily (boots too), and has kept me dry in the heaviest gully-washers that last all day.

In the future, when it is time to replace my protective gear, I would like to buy new protective gear that is waterproof so I don't have to stop to add rain gear. The Gore-tex lined Aerostich might be one choice. Too often I have been soaked by the temptation of thinking "the drizzle will stop" when it actually gets worse, slowly turning into a downpour.

I am also not impressed with systems that come with a waterproof inner liner, such as my Rev'It jacket. The outer layer still gets soaked, and changing the waterproof liner in and out is way too time consuming and un-fun, with all the little loops and snaps. That is especially true when the jacket has a third layer - an insulated liner separate from the waterproof liner. They also lie about their "breathable" waterproof liner fabric. It breathes like rubber. Never again.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Greg, sounds like you had a nice trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I use the Frogg Togg crap and it works very well for me. It goes on over my gear quickly and easily (boots too), and has kept me dry in the heaviest gully-washers that last all day.

The outer layer still gets soaked, and changing the waterproof liner in and out is way too time consuming and un-fun, with all the little loops and snaps. It breathes like rubber. Never again.
Plus one on the Frogg Toggs Road Toad suit.

The waterproof liner in my Olympia Airglide jacket is easy to add/remove. But in the summer in the rain, I get about as wet by sweating as if I didn't put it in. Think I'll stick with the "Toggs".

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Last edited by Lee510; Sep 30th, 2011 at 9:02 pm.
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Now we're back and looking for a heftier bike for her. Maybe a Ninja 500 or a lowered CBR600. Not sure.
I started my wife on an SV650, but once she rode a cruiser (VL800 / C50), she converted. Lower seat, real windshield, more chrome are all advantages to her. I don't like it much (weak brakes, mushy suspension, laid-back riding posture), but I don't have to ride it. I am thinking of trying to get her on a R1200C or similar, mostly for the better (ABS) brakes.

Try to get her on several different bikes before making a decision.
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 10:10 am

Sounds like it was a great trip! And welcome to the Southeast, home of some of the best motorcycling roads in the country.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #8 of 9 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 3:51 pm

I grew up riding that corner of GA, TN, and NC for years and I think there's a strong case to be made that this is the true heart of America to any motorcyclist that likes to wear the tires out on the sides. Countless hundreds of miles of great roads from northern GA to West Va all through Appalachia. Just watch out for the logging and coal trucks!
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 4:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgerrity
I started my wife on an SV650, but once she rode a cruiser (VL800 / C50), she converted. Lower seat, real windshield, more chrome are all advantages to her. I don't like it much (weak brakes, mushy suspension, laid-back riding posture), but I don't have to ride it. I am thinking of trying to get her on a R1200C or similar, mostly for the better (ABS) brakes.

Try to get her on several different bikes before making a decision.
I got my wife started by taking her to the dealer to look at scooters, she worked a half mile from out house and I thought I could use it to put around town on. When we got there she said why get a scooter when she could get a real motorcycle and ride with me. (backfire)
She started out and got her license on a Yamaha 250 (actually a v twin) after a year and a quite a few all day rides, she decided something a little bigger was in order. So back to the dealers (yes plural) and trying out about a hundred bikes, she decided on a Yamaha 650 cruiser. I talked her into the Silverado because of the windshield and bags and she loves it. I don't really care for it, but it is not my ride. I have a real hard time getting her to ride with me on my LT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in