Confession of a slob - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 7:08 am Thread Starter

Confession of a slob

My confession: I don't wash my bike very often. I mean I'll give it a little spit now and again to clean the bugs off, but mostly I just ride it. It looks pretty good from a distance, but up close, ugh.
I know, I should take better care of her. I mean I change the oil and tires when I need to, and have the other basics taken care of by the dealer pretty much on schedule...when I can afford it. And love the way she rides and handles.
But let's face it, if you want to ride a clean and shiny machine, you have to wash it just about after every ride. Too much washing for me. Don't think I could afford the water bill it must take to own a Harley!
Any other slobs out there?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 8:04 am

Re: Confession of a slob

Meese takes the prize. Literally. He won a set of tires from his local dealer in some type of "worst ugly bike" contest. He has more species of bugs on his bike than most university entomology departments. There are so many layers of bugs, you could remove the panels from underneath and the bike would hold its shape.

I would rather ride than wash, but I do try to keep the bugs from building up on the oil cooler and radiator. Another thing that I do often (about once a month) is treat those expensive Bill "Rocky" Mayer seats with the "Leather Amore" they provided, to protect them from sun and rain. Finally, I like a clean windscreen. Even if I don't wash the bike, I will take the windscreen off from time to time, and clean it when I shower. I take my showers outside in the backyard, so it is convenient to clean the windscreen at the same time. (My kids would say "TMI". At least it keeps the police helicopters from disturbing our neighborhood.)

I wish I could find the time to wash and wax my bike before long rides. I believe that waxing the bike gives it more protection from kicked up debris (sand, pebbles, gunk) and helps keep the bugs from sticking. It always seems that last minute farkling and pre-trip maintenance fills up the time. Oh well.

I get around to a real wash and wax about once or twice a year at most. It feels good to ride on a freshly cleaned bike, and I don't mind the teasing I take from my fellow long distance riding friends when they see it.
post #3 of 33 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 8:16 am

I suppose I qualify as a slob-wannabe. A bike covered with dust, dirt, grime, animal viscera and bugs is a bike that has ridden many miles and has stories to tell. Like the advertisement says, "Never been polished, never gonna be polished." On the other hand, a bike in such condition is probably owned by a semi-skilled worker, who never sees a dentist, rarely changes the oil in his t-shirt and has enough dirt under his fingernails to qualify for a geologic survey. Said owner is usually found seated at his, or her, own table downwind from the other diners. Of course, we all know that isn't true. Well, maybe some if it is.

Then again, it's a quality bike that should show off its best characteristics by standing tall and polished high enough that the reflection of a yardstick shows all 36 inches.

Every now and then I succumb and give the bike a thorough cleaning, waxing and polishing. But who am I kidding? I live at the end of a 3/4 dirt and stone lane. If I clean my bike before leaving the house, it's dirty by the time I get to the mailbox. Which I why I wonder why other riders tell me to "Keep the shiny side up." The only shiny part of my bike is the reflector in the headlight assembly. If I'm keeping that up, I must be doing a wheelie.

It's unlikely that I'll wash and clean the bike when it's raining. And if it's nice out why am I washing and cleaning the bike when I could be riding it?

But let's be realistic. Cleansing agents, degreasers, polishers, buffers, waxes, micro fibre cloths, sprays and brushes constitute a billion dollar industry. (If you doubt me, just glance through a Griot's Catalog). By keeping our bikes clean we are doing our part to keep the American economy afloat.

And if any of you believe any of this, let me know; I have some swampland in Florida I'm trying to sell.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #4 of 33 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:38 am

I keep mine 'clean' but I'm far from being a fanatic. The toothbrush and Q-Tip treatment are more of an annual event than weekly. My main concern is avoiding letting dead bugs or other harsh road debris attack the paint beyond what a little elbow grease will fix. Besides, if you don't wait too long all it takes is to spray on something like S-100 and hose it off. I'm lazy enough to really appreciate that.
post #5 of 33 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:52 am

I Also Would Rather Ride Than Wash. At 70 + Mph On The Road, Who Is Going To Notice A Few Pieces Or Pounds Of Filth.

As For Meese's Bike.....my Butt Could Not Take What It Takes To Be That Dirty....

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #6 of 33 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Lt's are pretty easy to do a job on..............but, hey,.......I just love the look of bugutz on the front...............j

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #7 of 33 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 2:10 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Hi My name is Steve & I'm a BIKE SLOB ....

I have about 1000 unwashed miles on my new GTL. I might worsh it before I go to CCR in August If I Have time to

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 33 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Hi Steve............................

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #9 of 33 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Hi Steve. My name's Chris. It's been 27 days since I last washed my bike. I confess that there may be a power greater than me. Alas!

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #10 of 33 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Garage

I wash and detail ONLY when I'm getting ready to sell. I guess I'm a slob.
post #11 of 33 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Just trade the LT for a GS then you never have to wash it just let the rain wash off the big chunks. Wash the wind shield so that you can see and ride some more

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #12 of 33 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 7:06 am

I confess, I'm a SLOB too!

It used to be embarrassing to ride with my best friend, who thought nothing of getting out the rags, spray wash and polish at breaks, rest stops and always at the end of every ride. I used the time to rest, pee and hydrate.

Washing and the occasional wax were never a priority except, as Patrick2000 said, before the sale. In Florida, because of the love bugs, as the season begins, I put an extra coat of wax on the front end and then not buff it off. Makes it so much easier to simply hose off them little messy critters after a ride! If you didn't, they would dissolve whatever they were on and leave a permanent mark.

I did tend to keep the windshield clean and had a simple system laid out after each daily ride that really didn't take long at all.

I did regularly wash the bike after each 6,000 mile fluid(s) change which made it easy to remember.

I can't wait to not wash my new bike......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 33 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 7:07 am

Got you beat Steve, haven't washed mine since last September. Just don't see the need to, clean the seat off and go.
post #14 of 33 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffer101
Got you beat Steve, haven't washed mine since last September. Just don't see the need to, clean the seat off and go.
I'm sorry, but if you clean the seat off, you really can't call yourself a slob.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #15 of 33 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I confess, I'm a SLOB too!

It used to be embarrassing to ride with my best friend, who thought nothing of getting out the rags, spray wash and polish at breaks, rest stops and always at the end of every ride. I used the time to rest, pee and hydrate.

Washing and the occasional wax were never a priority except, as Patrick2000 said, before the sale. In Florida, because of the love bugs, as the season begins, I put an extra coat of wax on the front end and then not buff it off. Makes it so much easier to simply hose off them little messy critters after a ride! If you didn't, they would dissolve whatever they were on and leave a permanent mark.

I did tend to keep the windshield clean and had a simple system laid out after each daily ride that really didn't take long at all.

I did regularly wash the bike after each 6,000 mile fluid(s) change which made it easy to remember.

I can't wait to not wash my new bike......
I'm very jealous you have a new GTL to not wash! I'm still not washing my old LT.

Greg

post #16 of 33 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffer101
I just looked back at the K1200LT factory maintenance chart - lost of stuff about changing oils and such - aint' nuthin' in there about washing the darn thing every 6K/12K....

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #17 of 33 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Mine gets a good wash and wax at least once before the start of riding season. Most cleaning is on the windshield every couple rides, seams I attract bugs. I generally wide the dust off when I notice a build up with a micro fiber rag I keep in the side case.
I had a bag on front of my last bike I refused to clean the bugs off of the hole time I had it, my wife hated it.
We were seated on a bench at a little touristy town one summer watching the bikes roll into town. I pointed out the bikes that people rode in and the ones that were trailered in by the bugs that were on the windshields and what people were wearing.
post #18 of 33 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
I just looked back at the K1200LT factory maintenance chart - lost of stuff about changing oils and such - aint' nuthin' in there about washing the darn thing every 6K/12K....
Howdy, Folks.
One of the things I like about my new Scarabeo is the windshield is short enough that I can see the road over it without having to clean it. I went by the dealer the other day for the first scheduled maintenance and saw my old LT on the showroom floor. It was all bright and shiny. I just about didn't recognize it. The Scarabeo sits out at work so I figure if the Universe wants it clean, rain will come by and take off whatever It wants removed. My old International Scout needed the bug guts and road grime to keep the rusted out body panels glued to the frame or else they would all harmonize "Nearer My God to Thee" if I got over 70 mph.

Hummin' Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #19 of 33 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 10:39 pm

The only thing I DO wash consistently are my bikes. I know they like it as they run better.

post #20 of 33 Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:21 pm

Don't hate me because I'm shiny

I enjoy washing the bikes. Washed the LT yesterday after a ride to the coast and back. It's sort'a therapeutic for me, like riding. And besides, she's a pretty lady, and fitting of a wash and wax every now and again.
Would YOU take a pretty woman out to dinner dressed in rags?
Nope, dress 'em up and show 'em off.
post #21 of 33 Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:43 pm

I also enjoy spending time washing and waxing the big lady.
Yesterday was spent washing and waxing both of the 4 wheel BMW's and washing and waxing the LT.
All my vehicles are black. When they are clean and shined makes me feel good. Plus when I open the garage doors it looks like the bat cave.
post #22 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2011, 11:21 am Thread Starter

Re: Don't hate me because I'm shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I enjoy washing the bikes. Washed the LT yesterday after a ride to the coast and back. It's sort'a therapeutic for me, like riding. And besides, she's a pretty lady, and fitting of a wash and wax every now and again.
Would YOU take a pretty woman out to dinner dressed in rags?
Nope, dress 'em up and show 'em off.
I don't take my bike out to dinner, I just ride her.

Greg

post #23 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2011, 11:38 am

Hi
I have put 54000 kms on her and my RT is as clean as the day I bought it. No slob here...
I clean her up after every ride.
Ellie
09 RT
post #24 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2011, 1:49 pm

I bought my K12GT in Jun-07 and washed it the day it came home so I could put fresh wax on it. I didnt wash it until I traded it this year....

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #25 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2011, 1:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Like, Stevie this is my first visit to BSA (Bike Slobs Anonymous)

Hi, I'm Benny and I'm a bike slob. It's been 14 months since my last bike washing....

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #26 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Swear the god damn bugs wait on nearby bushes until I'm up to speed and zooming past.
They have to know all the giggles we have laughing at them while they splatter about saying ... dumb ass bugs won't have the guys to fly in front of us ever again !
Revengeful little fuckers they are ... Yea I'm a anti-clean slob too.

So many more miles of smile yet to do ...
Grit grime guts and glory by the elements can't stop us !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #27 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
I bought my K12GT in Jun-07 and washed it the day it came home so I could put fresh wax on it. I didnt wash it until I traded it this year....

F

YOU win!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #28 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2011, 8:12 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Like, Stevie this is my first visit to BSA (Bike Slobs Anonymous)

Hi, I'm Benny and I'm a bike slob. It's been 14 months since my last bike washing....
Benny can you be my sponsor? Sammie & I went to see family on Sunday & had to ride a few miles on a dirt road to get there. When I got home I, I , I, W A S H E D. the GTL. I know, I know, Here's my Slob Card back. I promise to try harder to be a Slob but it just SOOO hard with a New Bike.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Jul 13th, 2011 at 1:34 pm.
post #29 of 33 Old Jul 13th, 2011, 8:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Benny can you be my sponsor? Sammie & I went to see family on Sunday & had to ride a few miles on a dirt road to get there. When I got home I, I , I, W A S H E D. the GTL. I know, I know, Here's my Slob Card back. I promise to try harder to be a Slob but it just SOOO hard with a New Bike.
You got it, Steve! When you get the urge, just call me. I'll help you through til the urge passes. I got your back, brother

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold

Last edited by katnapinn; Jul 13th, 2011 at 1:34 pm.
post #30 of 33 Old Jul 13th, 2011, 8:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I think that since it's a new bike, you can slide and keep the card this one time. But after a couple thousand miles, it's over.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Last edited by katnapinn; Jul 13th, 2011 at 1:35 pm.
post #31 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 2:21 pm

There is something sexy bout a well riden machine, with all the dust, dirt, bug splat, sweat and blood and tears, and all the things life is about.

Pro. Slob :

Regards to all:

Maximus
post #32 of 33 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 11:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
... I don't wash my bike very often. ...
Really? One can wash a bike?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #33 of 33 Old Jul 21st, 2011, 9:13 am

OK, we are having some sheet rock and tile replaced in our bathroom. The sheet rock guys are cutting just outside the garage and the dust is unbelievable, and landing all over the bike. I went for a quick ride Saturday and bafore I left, I backed the bike out anbd grabbed the water hose.......and rinsed the dust off my helmet and windshield. Most of the dust blew off fairly quick but I now have some cament looking stuff where the water ran down the bike cutting a trail through the dust. I'll get it later.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in