High Mileage ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

Talking High Mileage ?

Hey All;

I have a couple questions for HIGH mileage guys, like myself.(210k) What have you "needed" to do? I do all my own work, but as an older mechanic, if it aint broke dont touch it.
Still original clutch, runs great, still goes 110 2 up.
Just curious.

Zeke.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Re: High Mileage ?

That has varied from bike to bike. On some of them no real work has been needed, others have needed a clutch, valve job, and the like. Also, what I plan to use the bike for factors in. For occasional around town riding I keep up normal maint. On bikes I'd like to still use for the occasional serious ride I look a little closer. The fact of the matter is things do wear out, I wouldn't want to head across country with a clutch that has 210K on it but wouldn't hesitate to head out on even a serious day ride if no major slipping was taking place.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: High Mileage ?

Thanks. Runs great. I do about 600 miles a week + extra weekends stuff. Im not worried about anything really. But I will probably do the clutch no matter what during thanksgiving week. But , no noises or anything. Should I consider the cam chain guides, stuff like that.
Have to change out the drive shaft again, and the shock are going too.
Just talking.

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 9:34 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I changed my cam chain guides at 120,000 miles and could not measure any wear on the old ones. I also set the valve lash for the first time at 120,000 miles. 144,000 miles on the original clutch and still going strong. I just noticed my first oil leak yesterday. It is from the front of the engine. I think it is from oil seal # 1114765025. I'll post a picture of the leak tomorrow. I've had the radio repaired once & it lasted about a year & a half. One broke front fender (them darn dirt roads up north) & both mirrors are taped on. What a wonderful BIKE

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 7:43 am

Zeke, For that kind of mileage, sounds like you are doing all the right things, keep it up. I am curious about what you are doing as relates to service intervals, fluid changes etc? I have 68k on my 99 and no major issues. Did the weep hole and new slave cyl. last winter and that has been it other than fluid changes. My radio sucks, but I rarely use it anyway.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Zeke, For that kind of mileage, sounds like you are doing all the right things, keep it up. I am curious about what you are doing as relates to service intervals, fluid changes etc? I have 68k on my 99 and no major issues. Did the weep hole and new slave cyl. last winter and that has been it other than fluid changes. My radio sucks, but I rarely use it anyway.

Well, dont yell at me. BUT. I contacted and spoke to 2 oil companies, red line and Castrol.
Redline, on the transmission I use heavy duty shockproof and they said you can go 40k between changes. I changed it at 38k, since last change, and came out almost as pink as it went in. BUT change the rear end every 10k, just did that at 210k and pretty as pink with very minuscule metal dust on the magnet.
Castrol, with the 4T semi synthetic, you can go 10K between changes. I have been following those rules for the last 100k. And normal fluid changes, brake, clutch.
I changed one slave and weep hole,one set of shocks(another set is due), the exhaust(hole), rear disk(rattle), front brake lines(pin hole), one drive shaft(due for another one). Oh yea. lots of tires.LOL.

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 5:10 am

Interesting you mentioned Redline. I use only varieties of Redline oils in my Toyota FJ Cruiser.I didn't realize I can use it in K1200LT. I will dump the regular oil in my transmission for the Heavy Shockproof immediately. Which of the Redline oil do you use in your FD? Does it take the same Heavy Shockproof? I use same in the rear end of my FJ.
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 4:03 pm

I'm trying to remember the name of the Surgeon General (?) that rode his LT every where.

I think he put over 200K on his LT within just a few years?

One of his posts listed what he had to do? or had done while he owned it?

If I remember correctly, a deer took out his LT?

Someone who was here when this community started might remember his name.

Dick comes to mind; Dave S.

Some of the moderators have been here since the beginning.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omoige
Interesting you mentioned Redline. I use only varieties of Redline oils in my Toyota FJ Cruiser.I didn't realize I can use it in K1200LT. I will dump the regular oil in my transmission for the Heavy Shockproof immediately. Which of the Redline oil do you use in your FD? Does it take the same Heavy Shockproof? I use same in the rear end of my FJ.
Yes same oil in the rear. The redline rep said change the rear every 10k, he is aware of our issues with the FD. In the trans you can go a year. I did 30k last year, went in red came out red. great stuff.
222 k now.

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 5:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That was Don Aurthur and he was the Navy Surgeon General. He had over 340K on his when a U-tuner took him out in Missouri heading to the IBA Rally. He did hit a deer (well a fawn jumped into his lap) during his four corners ride but he still finished that in just over 4 days!! He put 100K on it in one year where he rode it every where the Navy sent him TDY.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: High Mileage ?

Hard to do that kind of mileage, im more of steady miles guy. Ride everyday type stuff. No long rides in 2011, had a grandchild born. but in 2012 already planning a couple rides.
But 100k a year he must have no job or just big miles between when he does ride. lol
Just love to ride and the miles just pile up. Not the miles just the pure fun.
Have you guys heard from Don, I just know the name not the man?

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 6:13 pm

You will have to scan the old site material for Don's posts.

Here is a thread that mentions the re[airs he did:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=Arthur

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in