Ladder on Freeway - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Ladder on Freeway

I was riding in the Oakland hills yesterday and encountered my worst fear, fortunately without any consequences. I dread the traffic reports that include a ladder on the freeway, especially since I commute a lot in the dark.

Right after I pass the ladder in this 35 second video you can see some fragment of it thrown into the air by the car in the #2 lane just in front of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHKQxAPBIxs

I recorded this with my Droid2Global phone running Daily Roads software.

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 7:09 am

Re: Ladder on Freeway

Gail and I were coming through Nashville at rush hour (on the way to Breckenridge) a few years ago. Two up on the LT, pulling the Uni-go, doing about 50. I was in the right track of the far left lane trying to leave myself some room, but not enough to entice a car to jump in my lane. Suddenly....WHOOSH...we go zipping by a ladder sitting lengthwise in the center of our lane. I never saw it until it came out from under the car right in front of me. Everybody in front of us just drove over it.

That would've been bad....

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 9:19 am

A year ago, an 18-wheeler flung a complete tire tread high into the air many car lengths front of me. By "high", I mean maybe 30 or 40 feet or more. No kidding. It flew way more than twice as high as the nearby concrete freeway bridge, and was going to land somewhere near me. It twisted and turned in the air as I tried to predict where it would fall, which is where I wanted not to be. I swerved far over into the leftmost lane, and luckily avoided it. A nearby car was not so lucky - it did major damage as it crashed down. This happened last summer on I-10 going west through El Paso, TX.

The worst incident I ever encountered was in my pickup, driving in high, gusty winds on I-5 leading up to the Grapevine. One of those oversize pickups with the side panels holding glass plates was ahead of me by several car lengths. Suddenly, one or more of the glass plates shattered. The air was filled with a rapidly expanding cloud of tiny glass fragments, which looked like glitter. There was no way to swerve around it. The glass cloud spanned three lanes. I plunged through it, trying to choose the least dense part of the cloud. I got off at the next exit and inspected my tires, but they were okay. There were tiny bits of glass all over my truck, but no real damage. All I can say is that I wouldn't have wanted to ride through that cloud on my bike. Ouch!

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:33 pm

Saw the chunk of ladder in the upper right corner?

It just amazes me how many ladders, mattresses and sofas end up in lanes on an interstate highway.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #5 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6

It just amazes me how many ladders, mattresses and sofas end up in lanes on an interstate highway.
That's because people tie them to their car roof, and have no idea of how much force results when they catch some air on the freeway.
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 9:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6

I was traveling through Albuquerque on I-40 a few years ago on my LT. A local LEO entered the freeway and I settled into an easy pace several car lengths behind him. After a short time he flipped on his emergency lights, then changed lanes abruptly. Lights went off, and he continued down the road.

When I got up to his position, there was a full sized sofa in the middle lane. Hope he radioed the sofa in, because I followed him all the way through town and he didn't give any other indications of concern.

Motor On ,/'

post #7 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 11:21 am
Old Dawg

Bob I am just SO glad you were able to avoid this! We need you to keep the wheels down for more meet ups!!!

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 11:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
That's because people tie them to their car roof, and have no idea of how much force results when they catch some air on the freeway.
Nothing like seeing a mattress or piece of plywood tied down with a piece of string on a vehicle going 65mph+ on the freeway. Sucker looks like a wing that is trying to lift the car. Idiots!
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 5th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Guess it's time for my story-

On I-95, while driving a cage, in the Ft. Lauderdale FL area, a pick up truck loaded with 18 wheeler tires hit something and caused one of the tires to flip out and bounce down the highway ahead of me.

Because of the heavy traffic, I was forced to actually time the bounce so that it went over my car, sliding on the roof and then hitting the vehicle behind me. I couldn't stop, but the accident behind me seemed pretty bad. I actually had a skid mark on the roof of my Crown Vic.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 7:48 am

All I can say Bob is HOLY S#1T. Glad you missed it. That is fantastic video, thanks for sharing.

I guess I have to tell my story since everybody else has. I was in the cage on I-85 in Burlington, NC, a truck going the opposite direction had a high stack of crushed cars on the bed. The load gave way and several came off creating a major accident. I was almost abreast of the thing and was able to speed up to get past before anything hit my lane, but I could see the chaos in the mirror. I'll never forget it and am thankful to God that I escaped.

Ride safe.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 9:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
That or I've even seen bungee cords. Wish there was some driver education that talked about the wind force generated off the windshield and that the Bungee or cheap polyester rope is no match for the lift created at speed.

Glad you were in a position to avoid.

Fortunately, I haven't had close calls. Mine have all been at least 200 yards ahead so I had ample avoidance window. Let's all be careful out there.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 11:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
LOL, %99.999 of drivers in the US have yet to grasps the concept of turn-signals.

I can't count the number of times I've seen cagers, driving on a major road, with one arm out the window holding on to a mattress, sheet of plywood or furniture piled on the roof of the car.
You're right, Dave.

Your Honor, I withdraw the statement. You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 7:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
You're right, Dave.

Your Honor, I withdraw the statement. You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid.
You can't fix stupid, but you can vote him out of office.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in