Traffic light sensors - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 14th, 2011, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Traffic light sensors

Anyone on this site know if NC has a statute that allows us to go through a red light that does not change because the sensor does not recognize a bike. I know they have that in TN and my riding buddy who lives there carries a copy of the statute with him because few LEO know about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 14th, 2011, 11:26 am

Re: Traffic light sensors

Yes NC does have that law it is called safe red light law. Here is an artical in a Raleigh newspaper about it. http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/new...e-vehicle.html
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 3:45 pm

According to the article, the law in NC states that you now only need to wait 3 minutes at a red light before proceeding! I wonder how many times it will cycle in 3 minutes?

Of course, an officer did say that the 3 minutes would be difficult to enforce unless they happened to pull up to the light at the same time.

We have one of those lights at a main intersection where I cross quite often and not only is the green light on my street green for only 15 seconds (a side street to a main highway) but many times I don't trip it. I hope Florida has the same law because I go through it several times a week.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 18th, 2011, 7:36 am

I think there would be a big argument on the 3 minute time limit, both from the LEO and the guy that got the ticket. I wonder what a judge would say?

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 14 Old Jun 18th, 2011, 7:59 am

It doesn't matter what state I'm in......if my bike does not trip the light after a cycle or two, I will safely procede thru an unresponsive traffic light.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #6 of 14 Old Jun 19th, 2011, 6:27 am

[QUOTE=DanDiver]According to the article, the law in NC states that you now only need to wait 3 minutes at a red light before proceeding! I wonder how many times it will cycle in 3 minutes?

Of course, an officer did say that the 3 minutes would be difficult to enforce unless they happened to pull up to the light at the same time.

/QUOTE

Not too far from where I work we have a notorious traffic light that doesn't sense motorcycles. I asked the Chief of Police about the policy for riding through a red light because it wouldn't turn green. He told me, "After waiting a reasonable period of time you may proceed." Of course I asked, "What's a reasonable period of time?" And his response was, "Any period of time waiting for a green light that would be reasonable." So if I get a ticket it'll be me and the officer having a philosophic debate in traffic court as to what amounts to a "...reasonable period of time."

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 Old Jun 19th, 2011, 6:48 pm
Enjoy The Ride

One of my onboard GPS,s will back up the three minute wait.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 14 Old Jun 19th, 2011, 7:24 pm

I came here and got one of these. Problem solved..

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D9C

Stuck it to the frame under the motor. Not only does it trip the lights it also picks up any stray rail road iron I may run over....

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #9 of 14 Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
One of my onboard GPS,s will back up the three minute wait.
The flip side is that your GPS could get you in trouble just as well... LoL

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 14 Old Jun 20th, 2011, 4:26 pm

I have the details of the red light law in NC in my teaching bag - can get it if you need more details. I *think* it is 2 or 3 cycles OR 2 or 3 minutes. Would have to look it all up. IT has to be the kind of signal that you can see the cuts in the asphalt - not always easy if it's been repaved. You CAN be ticketed for running the light, but can use the new law as a defense in court. And you may only proceed if there is no one else at the intersection that has the right-of-way, pedestrians included.

AS usual, I'm not a lawyer or anything else. Anything I say can't be used as a defense. You would need to look it up for yoiurself and be familiar with the statute. : )

But there is a law in NC for red lights.

Randy
post #11 of 14 Old Jun 20th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Randy,

I am sure that you slept at a Holiday Inn express last night. Did you have to go all the way to Kernersville to find one Thanks for the input.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
The flip side is that your GPS could get you in trouble just as well... LoL
I was stopped for speeding on Taconic State Parkway (NY State) a couple of years ago. After the cop already handed me the the ticket, we engaged in this semi-professional conversation. "Nice GPS", he said. Aw, thanks. "Can I see it?" Sure.

Then, using a shortcut, that I even did not know about after many years of using this receiver model, he instantly brought up the trip computer on my GPS.

Only then it dawned on me that he was going to show me that I am a general scofflaw, with high maximum speed recorded. The ticket was already issued, mind you; this was to quell any protestations, I presume.

I got one on him, though. The trip computer showed high 3-digit values, something like 600-700 mph, as maximum speed. He was stumped: "I knew BMW bikes are fast, but I do not think that fast", he mumbled.

I was just coming back from a loop that included several overnight passages on a car deck of a ferry. When the GPS receiver "wakes up" hundreds of miles from previous tracked location, maximum speed calculation can apparently get very confused. Check your own.

Below: not from that one, but from a similar trip. Was I fast or what?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Last edited by rdwalker; Jul 3rd, 2011 at 7:50 am.
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
I was stopped for speeding on Taconic State Parkway (NY State) a couple of years ago. After the cop already handed me the the ticket, we engaged in this semi-professional conversation. "Nice GPS", he said. Aw, thanks. "Can I see it?" Sure.

Then, using a shortcut, that I even did not know about after many years of using this receiver model, he instantly brought up the trip computer on my GPS.

Only then it dawned on me that he was going to show me that I am a general scofflaw, with high maximum speed recorded. The ticket was already issued, mind you; this was to quell any protestations, I presume.

I got one on him, though. The trip computer showed high 3-digit values, something like 600-700 mph, as maximum speed. He was stumped: "I knew BMW bikes are fast, but I do not think that fast", he mumbled.

I was just coming back from a loop that included several overnight passages on a car deck of a ferry. When the GPS receiver "wakes up" hundreds of miles from previous tracked location, maximum speed calculation can apparently get very confused. Check your own.

I was at the Santa Ana checkpoint during the 2009 Iron Butt Rally. A man was receiving the riders as they pulled up to the hotel. He asked them to show him the maximum speed on their GPSs. The speeds ranged from normal to outrageous up to several hundred mph. The number of GPSs with obviously erroneous values was large, perhaps 25% of them. Other high values were suspect.

Some riders told me that they had been on aircraft with their GPSs, but others had no obvious explanation. They suspected tunnels, resets, and other strange conditions that confused the GPSs.

There is one thing I know - a GPS max speed value should never hold up as authoritative evidence in court.
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Garage

Last year when I got my LT I was on line looking at helmet laws, speed limits, radar detectors and other things unique to motorcycling riders.
And in my own state it is very tricky some you don't need and others are no no's to law enforcement. We have also a lot of street light cameras that collect from your pocket for right turn on red.
At Il.state park in Kankakee there is one such light my buddy and I sat there for a couple east/west cycles of green nothing. Then the traffic behind us started blowing. Even though we wanted to turn left we were forced to go right (T junction) and just as we made our U turn half way down the block the light turn green for all those who came long behind us. I have yet to get that traffic light sensor/clicker.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in