Bloody sport bike riders!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Bloody sport bike riders!!

Went for a short run on Sunday to clear the cobwebs and give SWMBO some time on the bike before the working week began.
As we were half way through a tight sweeper which is also a railway overbridge with concrete walls, (Sydney guys, its the one just past Cowan on the old Pac Highway) a d#$%^&head on a sport bike (with a pillion) has decided to overtake a car across double centre lines.
So here I am totally committed to the corner and this bike is coming straight at me!
Somehow, we didn't hit.

What gets into these idiots heads?
This had the potential to take out myself and my good wife plus stupid and his pillion also the car he was passing.
Glad I'm here to tell the tale!

Greg

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Re: Bloody sport bike riders!!

Some of those sport bike guys scare the crap out of me with the things they pull. They don't realize pain hurts and think they are invincible. Glad you are still with us to tell the tale.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 9:57 pm
cws

Garage

Greg, wait till you get down to the Snowy ride with another 3000 of them..... it only takes 1 idiot to kill someone else, and I've had a few close calls down there (with the other half on the back ) being scared shitless by some dick who decides he has more right to a curve on the road than I do.... like undercutting me in a left-hand bend between the LT and the railing....!!!!
some guys just don't get it.. and we read about them occassionaly in the minor headlines.

The "old road" (Pacific H'Way) where you went riding has been targetted by cops for a few years now because of weekend idiots who've killed themselves.

BTW, here's some video of the old highway... similar area! Following some friends on (mainly) Ducati's...

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Or you could look at this from a glass half FULL perspective. Aren't you glad it was a sport bike and not a semi-truck?
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

Chris, its a pity that video just misses the place I was talking about but it gives a good idea of what the road is like on the weekend especially with the drongo pushbike riders (because its their god given right to screw up traffic). I went with Phil Ward (and spouses) to the Central Coast a couple of weekends ago and Phil suggested that we went the freeway as there were too many bikes parked at the Mobil waiting to head off.
The "powers that be" have dropped the speed limit to 60kph to try and save a few riders and usually there are 2 highway cars patrolling trying to enforce it but unless they install speed cameras and speed humps I can't see them slowing any of them.
Old age is showing through hehe
Could you imagine what it would be like with B-doubles driving on that road!!!

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 11:11 pm
cws

Garage

After passing many road-trains not much would faze me now... but I lived in Gosford area and commuted to Sydney for many years... including before the 2nd half of the freeway (Mooney Bridge section) was built.... I've ridden those roads daily without the other bikes on them when it was much quieter, and my god it was fun going to/from work, especially after the midnight shift finished. But everything in life changes!

BTW... I just heard from another old Lt'er from Brissy ( Barry Lane ) who's just bought an '05 after being on Honda ST's again for a while... hoping he'll chime in on the forums again soon!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 9 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 2:35 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Greg, wait till you get down to the Snowy ride with another 3000 of them..... it only takes 1 idiot to kill someone else, and I've had a few close calls down there (with the other half on the back ) being scared shitless by some dick who decides he has more right to a curve on the road than I do.... like undercutting me in a left-hand bend between the LT and the railing....!!!!
some guys just don't get it.. and we read about them occassionaly in the minor headlines.

The "old road" (Pacific H'Way) where you went riding has been targetted by cops for a few years now because of weekend idiots who've killed themselves.

BTW, here's some video of the old highway... similar area! Following some friends on (mainly) Ducati's...

cheers
This is a very bad formula!
Australian Alpine Region + 3000 bikes = Get me as far away as possible!!
I hope that none of the Ambo's are rostered off.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Or you could look at this from a glass half FULL perspective. Aren't you glad it was a sport bike and not a semi-truck?
... and in Australia, they have "road trains." I have never been there, but I assume (hope?) they would not run on the overpass described by Greg.

http://swaussie.blogg.se/images/2010...n_96690504.jpg

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/4...aintruck02.jpg

When I see squids like that, I say a silent prayer, asking G-d to help them grow up before something really bad happens to them. Here in Southern California, they are common, and often they are wearing superb helmets and very little other protective gear. I worry about those cute, unprotected passengers, too. Most likely they have not had any motorcycle training or understand the risks. Then again, I don't know whether the riders have had any training, or took the license test either.
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 9:51 pm
cws

Garage

heh, heh... getting a little off-base here, but yeah, that'd scare the shit out of the weekender sports boys...!
The "old road" as it is affectionately called is a stretch of the old Pacific Highway between Sydney & Gosford (~ 80km's north), mainly 2-lanes, some overtaking sections, but nice and twisty (think tail-of -the-dragon). Most vehicles use the F3 freeway these days (6 lanes) and leave the old road for joy-riders, tourists and locals... unless theres a smash-up on the F3 (happens occassionaly) so the only alternative is the old road. That's the only time semi's would use it now... I don't know if there's ever been a B-double on it, but that's as big as is allowed around the city limits.
Road trains are limited to country areas, mainly far west and north WA/NT where the mines and cattle stations are.... and can be up to 54 mtres long
( 54 metres = 177.165354 feet).
They are only a pain if:
a) you need to overtake one... (but it's shit-in-your-pants fun)
b) they are coming the other way and the wind direction is blowing across them before you... thats NOT fun.
I must have gone past a hundred or so in the opposite direction during my recent trip, but only overtook maybe 10 - 15.... that was enough!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in