AMA Roadside Assistance vs. Good Sam ERS? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:28 am Thread Starter

AMA Roadside Assistance vs. Good Sam ERS?

I'll start with a disclaimer that I'm not sure of the best forum to put this and further, that I tried a search unsuccessfully. If it's in the wrong place, I ask the mods to move it and if it's been done already, please someone, point me to it (and I apologize).

Anyway, I have, on my desk before me, documents from Good Sam wanting me to renew my Emergency Road Service membership and similar documents from the AMA telling me how fabulous their Roadside Assistance program is.

The latter is considerably cheaper than the former so I'm considering switching. Both seem to offer coverage for my car, truck and motorcycle. I've had each in the past and never had to request a service call on either so I'll ask the membership here for suggestions: Should I save the money or is it a mistake?

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:55 am

Re: AMA Roadside Assistance vs. Good Sam ERS?

Can't comment on Sam's but I have had AAA and only used it once for the LT when I hit a pothole and seriously dinged my front wheel and ended up with a flat tire. They sent a flat bed and that worked out great; just be sure to keep with you the tie-down directions as the tow-truck driver wanted to tie to the handle bars and I had to insist on NOT doing so. He would not believe me as he was experienced with big bikes (read Harley).
Otherwise I am happy with AAA.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:59 pm

I've had Good sam for 4 years........................
They were the only ones 5that put in writing that if only a BMW motorcycle shop could repair my bike, they would tow it there no matter how far......
Some of the others had tricky little sentences like "maximum of 50 miles in the direction the tow vehicle came from." or "to nearest point of safety.".............................
I've used it three times on cages and...............no problem.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Interesting point. AMA's does limit you to 35 miles.

post #5 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 10:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
I've had Good sam for 4 years........................
They were the only ones 5that put in writing that if only a BMW motorcycle shop could repair my bike, they would tow it there no matter how far......
Some of the others had tricky little sentences like "maximum of 50 miles in the direction the tow vehicle came from." or "to nearest point of safety.".............................
I've used it three times on cages and...............no problem.
Have Good Sam Towing now going on 15 years and love them. They will tow to the nearest BMW shop, great to have them specially with all the BMW shops closing doors lately.

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #6 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 6:29 am

I origanly started with the one BMWMOA offers, the I noticed the 35 mile limit.
When you live anywhere West of the Mississippi 35 miles aint squat...........

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #7 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare
Interesting point. AMA's does limit you to 35 miles.
I've had the Good Sam (coverage actually provided by Allstate) for over 5 years. I've unfortunately had to use them a few times. Twice to tow bikes and a few tire changes while sitting along side the interstate with my 5th wheel. Each and every time the service was fast, efficient and no additional cost to me. They are, I believe, one of the very few that will provide unlimited mileage to an authorized dealer. Before I signed with them I called and told them i rode a BMW motorcycle and that dealers were not always readily available. I was told unequivocally that was not a problem and they would tow to nearest dealer. For about $100/year they cover all my vehicles and include any vehicle that I'm riding in even if I don't own it.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #8 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 7:40 am

I guess that they are all a trade off. I figure that since I've never needed a towing service and I've been driving about X number of years (since I was 16) I can afford whatever the cost are to take care of the tow myself.

Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly or missing something, but I've got to be several $$$ ahead at this point.

One thing I found, during my career with Motorola, was that the towing companies give priority to the public calls vs the commercial ones. I.E., if you have called in for service to AAA and they dispatch a truck and in the mean time, a non AAA customer calls for service, guess who gets helped first? The non AAA type because there is more $$$ to be earned.

That's why the towing vehicles had an AAA radio and a private one. I saw it happen many times and initially questioned why the two radios.

That's why I've never had an auto/motorcycle towing service. Now maybe it would pay if I drove a motorhome.......

... and as a side thought, most insurance policies include towing and emergency roadside service for about $1.00 a month. I'm pretty sure my Starte Farm has it. I always carried the tie down straps along with picture instruction..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DanDiver; Jun 2nd, 2011 at 12:30 pm.
post #9 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 8:55 am

Driving to our new home in Arkansas from Oregon, we were each driving one car.
After staying the night just before Texas, we decided to leave early (3:00 AM) to avoid El Paso rush hour.........
After El Paso, as I approached a semi from the rear, he suddenly swerved left, and I went over a load of steel someone had dropped on the slab. Of course, my wife behind me, also couldn't miss it.....................
So 3:30 in the morning, three bent wheels and three flat tires and......well it's dark and where the hell are we ?
While talking to Good Sam we decided to put the next gas station in the GPS, see the mileage to the exit for it and viola! we are x-miles West of exit X.
30 minute wait and both cars handled with no problem.............
(took us to the next town to a tire shop where all was done for $200 and a container of Karens homemade cookies)

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #10 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Looks like Good Sam is pulling ahead to an early lead. I've had them for a year but never needed them. Last night, while talking to my lovely wife, she also mentioned that, as we have some kind of towing policy with Safeco (our insurer) maybe that plus the AMA system would be worth taking a look at.

However, I note that no one has suggested that and figure there must be a reason!

post #11 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:33 pm

Not sure if anyone cares about this, but a Good Sams call (motor home problem) yielded the following info from the tow truck driver: Good Sams pays them quick! They like that. Other towing plans make them wait a while before paying them. Owning a motor home, and knowing they will tow a BMW motorcycle unlimited miles to the nearest authorized dealer ... it's Good Sams Emergency Road Service for me.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #12 of 21 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 6:59 pm

I just signed up with Good Sams based on what I've read on this forum. For three years of coverage on all of my vehicles (car, pick-up, & RT), the cost was $240. The representative did say that they would tow my motorcycle to the "nearest qualified repair facility" with no mention of maximum towing miles. (on a side note, I once had my RT towed from Furnace Creek in Death Valley to the BMW dealer in Las Vegas. I had BMW Roadside Assistance at the time. I never saw a bill, which is really good because I don't want to think about how much that tow actually cost!). Anyway, another huge plus for Good SAMs is that they cover pretty much all of North America (read that: continental US, Mexico, and Canada). My insurance company doesn't come close to that! The main thing prompting me down this path now is that I've just discovered long distance riding via the Iron Butt Association. I like being prepared prior to ever leaving the garage. Just my .02, YMMV.

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #13 of 21 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I guess that they are all a trade off. I figure that since I've never needed a towing service and I've been driving about X number of years (since I was 16) I can afford whatever the cost are to take care of the tow myself.

Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly or missing something, but I've got to be several $$$ ahead at this point.

One thing I found, during my career with Motorola, was that the towing companies give priority to the public calls vs the commercial ones. I.E., if you have called in for service to AAA and they dispatch a truck and in the mean time, a non AAA customer calls for service, guess who gets helped first? The non AAA type because there is more $$$ to be earned.

That's why the towing vehicles had an AAA radio and a private one. I saw it happen many times and initially questioned why the two radios.

That's why I've never had an auto/motorcycle towing service. Now maybe it would pay if I drove a motorhome.......

... and as a side thought, most insurance policies include towing and emergency roadside service for about $1.00 a month. I'm pretty sure my Starte Farm has it. I always carried the tie down straps along with picture instruction..

I have State Farm and they told me that they don't have roadside assistance. Which was a shame. But that might depend on where I live.
post #14 of 21 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseiron1
I have State Farm and they told me that they don't have roadside assistance. Which was a shame. But that might depend on where I live.
My State Farm Emergency Road Service is 1.60 per 6 months for vehicles, but not motorcycles. They call it section H. I have no idea though what it qualifies me for.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 21 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 8:02 am

I have Good Sam. Provides service to a Dealer that can provide the necessary repairs. I had to use it when my final drive went out a couple of years ago when heading to Washington state from MN. The nearest BMW dealer was in Reno. The towing service stored the bike in their garage and then took it to the shop the next morning when they opened. Great service from the tow company and BMW of Reno (same day service)

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #16 of 21 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 10:06 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Good Sam is the only way to go. That being said Good Sam like most other Road side service companies DO NOT have tow trucks or are the people that you will see If you call them. Good Sam is just a Dispatch center who will contact the closest Service Provider that they have a contract with. I am one of those Providers plus about every other Tow company in Austin. Good Sam WILL Pay that Service Provider to tow your bike to the closest "Authorized" Repair center. The "Quality" of the Service you get is up to the Tow company & it's employees. I have found That Good Sam tries to contract with Service Providers that know how to tow most bikes. I alway tell people to KNOW HOW to strap your bike down your self just in case Bubba does not just in case.

Stevie Shreeve
post #17 of 21 Old Nov 9th, 2012, 9:45 am

Hi all. I currently have AAA Plus RV for a cost of $121, for both my car and bike. I see that BMWMOA offers motorcycle towing coverage for $26 per year. I would still need to keep AAA Plus at $79 per year for my car. Since I am retired now I am looking at saving every penny, would it be wise to switch to BMWMOA for a saving of approximately $16 per year? I see that BMWMOA now offers 100 miles for towing. Below is what BMW MOA offers.
Thanks everyone!

PLATINUM CYCLE CLUB MOTORCYCLE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE will reimburse you for each of the following 24-hour emergency services: Towing (up to 100 miles), Delivery of Essential Fluids & Supplies, Flat Tire Assistance, and Battery Service. You will also receive up to $500 for emergency trip interruption. Other benefits are Trip Routing, RV Rentals and Rental Car Discounts as well as Lost Key & Lockout Service. All supporting towing companies use flatbed trucks with straps or a cycle carrier - no hooks! The cost to a MOA member is only $26.00 per year and covers up to three motorcycles. Coverage is available throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #18 of 21 Old Nov 9th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Good Sam for me. Had to use them only once: Final drive failure while on vacation. Good Service.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #19 of 21 Old Nov 9th, 2012, 4:34 pm

Thanks for the all the information on this forum;I am going to buy the Good Sam for my motorcycle.
Gary
K1200 LT
post #20 of 21 Old Nov 9th, 2012, 4:48 pm

FYI, I presently have AAA Premier membership for my vehicles and motorcycle. So far, no issues concerning service calls and tows.
post #21 of 21 Old Nov 28th, 2012, 10:10 am

Signed up with Good Sam this summer before heading out west. The associate on the phone was friendly and very informative. He answered all my questions without any "hmm's, uhh's or errr's." The selling point was his answer to the what if scenario that my BMW is kaput. There's a motorcycle dealer ten miles down the road, but the nearest BMW dealer is over a hundred miles away. Where will you take my bike? "If the nearest BMW service center is a hundred or five hundred miles from where you are, then that's where we'll take you." That sold me. The bonus is that it also covers my truck, two cars and an RV.

I once had AAA Premium when the fuel pump went out on my Dodge Ram 1500. It was a long bed, stretch cab and I was told the policy didn't apply to that vehicle. Talk about out of pocket expenses!

Bottom line? Good Sam is Good.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in