Any Schuberth C3 wearers out there? How long until it broke in? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old May 1st, 2011, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Any Schuberth C3 wearers out there? How long until it broke in?

Hi, all:
I do not know if this is the right section to ask - I am sure the moderators will kick me where I belong... Where the post belongs, that is.

Question to you:

After buying a new Schuberth C3 during the winter season, I finally got a chance to try it out on an extended 2-day ride this weekend.

Well, apparently, the much described change in head form screwed me up: the helmet is just-so-ever too tight for me. Mind you, this is my 4th or 5th Schuberth in a row (I had a whole string of original Concepts and of C2's) and they all fit well if not even slightly loosely with the same size.

The problem is not just in forehead (that got settled after the first day), but I feel uncomfortable pressure on the temples and my earlobes hurt - this means that the overall circumference was dialed down.

Here is the problem and the question to you: the helmet ALMOST fits me if not for the temples/earlobes. I am afraid of going through the whole exercise and expense of buying next size up: the current size is really so CLOSE that I am convinced that the next one will be way too loose.

So, to those of you who already live with the C3: does the interior break in? Did you experience that it settles? If so, how long did it take you to feel that it loosened up?

It seems that I need just a tiny bit of adjustment; I am willing to keep it longer if there is hope that it will adjust.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old May 1st, 2011, 9:34 pm

Re: Any Schuberth C3 wearers out there? How long until it broke in?

Hi Robert,
I am attacking my wifes helmet with a dremel tonight, second time around.
She has the same problem so I keep trying to fine tune the styrofoam.
Albeit a HJC

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old May 2nd, 2011, 7:47 am

Maybe the Mods can move this to the helmet section.

There is a thread on the Schuberth C3 there. Might find someone there who can answer the question.

I'm trying one out this Friday and hoping it will be comfortable without any modifications.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 19 Old May 4th, 2011, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

Hi, guys, thanks for the replies.

Dan, how did your fitting session go?

For now, I decided to give it some more time. I may play with shell and padding around my earlobes.

I am not too impressed, but for now I will wear it a bit more and see what happens. On the other hand, I am not getting rid of my old C2 yet.

Robert in Northern NJ

post #5 of 19 Old May 5th, 2011, 6:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Hi, guys, thanks for the replies.

Dan, how did your fitting session go?

For now, I decided to give it some more time. I may play with shell and padding around my earlobes.

I am not too impressed, but for now I will wear it a bit more and see what happens. On the other hand, I am not getting rid of my old C2 yet.
Not till this Saturday..... Dealer is serving breakfast and will probably have an unannounced showing of the new bikes. I plan to be there real early to try on the helmet too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 19 Old May 5th, 2011, 8:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Robert , what size C3 did you get ? is it the same size you wore in a C2 ? I have 2 of the original Concept helmets in size large , & will be probably replacing them in the next year or so . I tried on the C2 two years ago , & found that the Medium size was a better fit , & that the large was too big ... Well , I tried on a C3 a few days ago , & the medium was way too tight , & the large was that I would get .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #7 of 19 Old May 5th, 2011, 11:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
Hi Robert , what size C3 did you get ? is it the same size you wore in a C2 ? I have 2 of the original Concept helmets in size large , & will be probably replacing them in the next year or so . I tried on the C2 two years ago , & found that the Medium size was a better fit , & that the large was too big ... Well , I tried on a C3 a few days ago , & the medium was way too tight , & the large was that I would get .
Any thoughts how Schuberts size chart applies to real world? According to the chart my measurement (56.5 cm), falls square in the middle of a medium, yet I tried a medium on a couple weeks ago and while it seem to fit reasonably well, it was definitely on the loose side.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #8 of 19 Old May 5th, 2011, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Not till this Saturday..... I plan to be there real early to try on the helmet too.
Hi, Dan,

when you play with the demo C3's, could you do me a favor?

The lowest setting of visor opening In my helmet still leaves about 1" of gap. I was told in other forums that it should crack open just a sliver into the "City" setting.

Could you see how that works for you? What is the minimum opening of the visor? I wonder if the one I have has a problem.

TIA, Robert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
Hi Robert , what size C3 did you get ? is it the same size you wore in a C2 ? ...
Hi, Patric: yes, I did get the same size of Schuberth C3 as the previous Concept and C2: large. Same, as a matter of fact, as several other brand helmets I had/have (Shoei, HJC, among others).

The Concepts and C2 fit me well, even on a loose side (if I shook my head vigorously, it would float a bit).

The C3 in large size is tight around the top of my head and very tight at the temples (unpleasant after a long day). My earlobes hurt after about half a long day.

Apparently, I have the same head shape as "old Fritz the factory rider", pooh-pooed by webBikeWorld for setting the fit of the older helmets. Those worked for me, though!

Obviously, it all depends on the shape of your own head. If you are buying online, like I did, you are taking a risk that it will not fit in the long run. I did try the size at the NY Motorcycle Show and at that time it seemed not to be so much out of whack for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
Any thoughts how Schuberts size chart applies to real world? ....
Real world? For Schuberth? I give up.
Honestly, though, it all depends on your head. It may fit according to chart.

Robert in Northern NJ

post #9 of 19 Old May 10th, 2011, 11:32 pm

Garage

I am NOT a C3 wearer.
So I can't answer that question but I have tried one on just recently. The fit was great, the lightness was noticeable and the size was XL same as my Multitec. If I had not filed bankruptcy after that $800 purchase including J&M head set and lower cord I would consider the new Schuberth. Well c'est la vie.
ride safe
post #10 of 19 Old May 11th, 2011, 5:48 am

Quote:
Hi, Dan,

when you play with the demo C3's, could you do me a favor?

The lowest setting of visor opening In my helmet still leaves about 1" of gap. I was told in other forums that it should crack open just a sliver into the "City" setting.

Could you see how that works for you? What is the minimum opening of the visor? I wonder if the one I have has a problem.

TIA, Robert.

Hi, Patric: yes, I did get the same size of Schuberth C3 as the previous Concept and C2: large. Same, as a matter of fact, as several other brand helmets I had/have (Shoei, HJC, among others).

The Concepts and C2 fit me well, even on a loose side (if I shook my head vigorously, it would float a bit).

The C3 in large size is tight around the top of my head and very tight at the temples (unpleasant after a long day). My earlobes hurt after about half a long day.

Apparently, I have the same head shape as "old Fritz the factory rider", pooh-pooed by webBikeWorld for setting the fit of the older helmets. Those worked for me, though!

Obviously, it all depends on the shape of your own head. If you are buying online, like I did, you are taking a risk that it will not fit in the long run. I did try the size at the NY Motorcycle Show and at that time it seemed not to be so much out of whack for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Robert,

I'm sorry that I didn't see your request until just now so I can't answer your question. I tried on the C3 Saturday and was pretty impressed with the fit. The Large was just a tad snug, which I'm told is the correct fit and the extra large was too loose.

Lately I have not been riding with sun glasses because: 1. too uncomfortable and 2. helmet's that I've recently owned came with sun shades that dropped into place.

It seems that if I wear ear plugs and wear glasses (driving glasses for night and sun glasses for the day) there is too much pressure on my ears under the helmet and after several hours it goes from uncomfortable to painful. So, I have found that a helmet that is snugger eliminates most of the noise and if it has the sun-shield, I don't need the sunglasses.

Anyway, I digress.... I am test riding the K1600GTL Thursday afternoon and will try to remember to try on the helmet again and check the face-shield lowest opening for ventilation. I am used to riding my present helmet at the lowest face-shield opening for ventilation and it is open just a small crack, maybe 1/4." I think the C# was about that too. I'm pretty sure it wasn't an inch.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #11 of 19 Old May 11th, 2011, 9:22 am

Quote:

That is not helpful. Some helmet manufacturers sizing chart are generally spot on and others are only a starting point. With the considerable expense of this helmet and ordering on line, I was hoping to gather as much info on sizing and fit as possible before placing an order.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
IBA # 8547
post #12 of 19 Old May 11th, 2011, 11:22 am

I am waiting on my Hi-Viz yellow C3 large size helmet to come in. Schuberth has them in route so I should receive it by next week. The online store that I have been doing business with has a policy of any order over $100 is shipped free and any item that is the wrong size (such as helmets and clothing) can be returned and the correct sized item will be shipped back at no charge. They also pay any state tax if that is required. All in all a pretty good deal in taking the risk out of ordering helment, boots and clothing online. Even if you just don't like the color, you can send it back. I don't work for them. Just a happy and satisfied customer. Check them out revzilla.com and they price match. I have saved on tires and jackets. When you order a helmet from them, they want you to wear it while watching TV or doing stuff in the house so you don't sweat in the helmet. Keep it on for at least two hours to locate any hot/tight/pain spots. If they are unbearable send it back and get the next size. Just don't wear it and go riding, they won't take it back.

I have talked to Schuberth in California and they technical reps have told me that the C3 fits pretty snug to be able to do its job of reducing noise. If it is to loose then you will experience more wind noise. And with everyone's head a different size and shape some helmets fit better than others.

Break in period will be different for each rider and dependent on where the tight spots are. But if you have worn the helmet for lets say 8-10 hours total and it still is not fitting better there is a sizing or shape of head problem that most likely will not go away any thime soon without modification of the cheek pads, liner or styrofoam. (and be aware that any mods can or will void your warranty and also impact the structural/safety features of the helmet.)

Good luck with the C3. I hope it breaks in soon.
regards

Karl
post #13 of 19 Old May 11th, 2011, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbaltz
I am waiting on my Hi-Viz yellow C3 large size helmet to come in. Schuberth has them in route so I should receive it by next week. The online store that I have been doing business with has a policy of any order over $100 is shipped free and any item that is the wrong size (such as helmets and clothing) can be returned and the correct sized item will be shipped back at no charge. They also pay any state tax if that is required. All in all a pretty good deal in taking the risk out of ordering helment, boots and clothing online. Even if you just don't like the color, you can send it back. I don't work for them. Just a happy and satisfied customer. Check them out revzilla.com and they price match. I have saved on tires and jackets. When you order a helmet from them, they want you to wear it while watching TV or doing stuff in the house so you don't sweat in the helmet. Keep it on for at least two hours to locate any hot/tight/pain spots. If they are unbearable send it back and get the next size. Just don't wear it and go riding, they won't take it back.

I have talked to Schuberth in California and they technical reps have told me that the C3 fits pretty snug to be able to do its job of reducing noise. If it is to loose then you will experience more wind noise. And with everyone's head a different size and shape some helmets fit better than others.

Break in period will be different for each rider and dependent on where the tight spots are. But if you have worn the helmet for lets say 8-10 hours total and it still is not fitting better there is a sizing or shape of head problem that most likely will not go away any thime soon without modification of the cheek pads, liner or styrofoam. (and be aware that any mods can or will void your warranty and also impact the structural/safety features of the helmet.)

Good luck with the C3. I hope it breaks in soon.
regards

Karl
Great info Karl. I just placed an order with Revzilla for my wife (C3W) and for myself. Hers will arrive on Friday and mine (Hi-Viz) looks like will arrive next week. Their return policy was a selling point for me, we will definitely wear them around the house for a couple hours to make absolutely sure.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
IBA # 8547
post #14 of 19 Old May 11th, 2011, 12:58 pm

Thanks Bruce, They are a great company to do business with. Let me know how your C3's fit when you get them.

Regards

Karl
post #15 of 19 Old May 12th, 2011, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
That is not helpful. .
Sorry if you feel offended. I do stand by my comments, however.

I have been wearing Concepts and C2 for more years than I care to remember, all in size L. I still do wear the most recent C2 and it fits snugly well.

The C3 in size L(59cm), even though my head circumference is exactly 59cm, was not comfortable and created painful pressure points. I do ride long distances and can not use a helmet that will be causing pain toward the end of the day.

Therefore, after a lot of soul-searching, I sold the C3 a few days ago.

Yet, other people here and on other forums do report the C3 to run close to size. So, it indeed does depend on your head shape and no amount of comments here will guarantee that your purchase will fit you. Not even a brief try-out will guarantee that: I have fitted the C3 while visiting the NY Motorcycle Show and it appeared OK; the problem showed up only after several hours of riding.

By the way, I found two outfits in Germany that claim to still sell the C2. One of them even ships to the States. I already sent them an inquiry to confirm that.

Robert in Northern NJ

post #16 of 19 Old May 13th, 2011, 11:09 am

Quote:
Sorry if you feel offended. I do stand by my comments, however.

I have been wearing Concepts and C2 for more years than I care to remember, all in size L. I still do wear the most recent C2 and it fits snugly well.

The C3 in size L(59cm), even though my head circumference is exactly 59cm, was not comfortable and created painful pressure points. I do ride long distances and can not use a helmet that will be causing pain toward the end of the day.

Therefore, after a lot of soul-searching, I sold the C3 a few days ago.

Yet, other people here and on other forums do report the C3 to run close to size. So, it indeed does depend on your head shape and no amount of comments here will guarantee that your purchase will fit you. Not even a brief try-out will guarantee that: I have fitted the C3 while visiting the NY Motorcycle Show and it appeared OK; the problem showed up only after several hours of riding.

By the way, I found two outfits in Germany that claim to still sell the C2. One of them even ships to the States. I already sent them an inquiry to confirm that.
No offense taken and thanks, that is good info. After my post seeking size info etc. I found a dealer who had both a medium and small which I tried. I found in my case the medium was the best fit, which validates Schubert's sizing chart in my case. I have ordered one for myself and my wife from Revzilla because of their return or exchange program. Both of us will have the opportunity to wear the helmets around the house for a couple hours.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
IBA # 8547
post #17 of 19 Old May 13th, 2011, 11:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
... Both of us will have the opportunity to wear the helmets around the house for a couple hours.
Must post pictures!

Robert in Northern NJ

post #18 of 19 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 12:03 pm

I know this is 9 months old, and there are several similar threads going on, but I figured, if anyone hit this one, I'd provide some follow-up.

I ended up with the C3 and love it. The large ( my previous helmet size) was too tight and for some reason the extra large was just right. Previously too large. Maybe my head has swelled now that I'm riding a K1600!

I use to wear ear plugs and sunglasses with my older helmets; Nolan 102, Nolan 103, Scorpion 900..... With the C3, I only wear a nylon skull cap which makes it easier to slip on. No sunglasses, no ear plugs and I love it. It fits like an old well worn glove and I've had it on for up to 14 1/2 hours at a stretch.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Last edited by DanDiver; Feb 19th, 2012 at 2:26 pm.
post #19 of 19 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 2:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I also had to move up a size, from an XL C2 to an XXL C3.

That's one reason why I won't buy new helmets, boots, etc. online, as you really need to try things on and check for proper fit.

And yeah, I've worn mine comfortably for a lot more than 12 hours a day . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in