I almost thought riding season was over - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 8:36 am Thread Starter

I almost thought riding season was over

With a high of 91 today and 95 tomorrow, I thought it was over. But it cools back down to the mid-80s again next week. I was not ready to stop riding yet.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 9:57 am

Talking Re: I almost thought riding season was over

Vented gear can extend your riding season by a whole week...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 11:16 am

Garage
Re: I almost thought riding season was over

I don't get it. "People in glass houses should not throw stones"

Let me elaborate, here it is I have to sit and wait on warmer temps so I could start my season and you are already contemplating an end to the riding season
I know you must be kidding right? I am out the house every day on the highway and since last Sunday I have seen a total of 7 bikes out riding yes I said 7.

If we only had it so good and right now it is just in the 30's expected to go to the 40's by evening.

We can make a trade you come to the midwest and I relocate to AZ. That way I get to go next door to CA. and ride the coast until I am 70
ride safe

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 11:20 am

I saw a guy with no hair riding a Harley this morning without a helmet........32 degrees outside. That had to be a head freeze............

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 11:46 am

Garage

That is what I was saying we here in the midwest are watching the thermometer so we can stick the key in. One of the 2 bikes I saw in South Bend on Sunday no fairing right but you would think the rider was a mummy or going to to a costume party. I don't recall seeing any inch of his body but I was assuming it was a person

If I could see 80+ to 95 I would ride 400 days a year just to get even for those I missed since 1979
ride safe
post #6 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
With a high of 91 today and 95 tomorrow, I thought it was over. But it cools back down to the mid-80s again next week. I was not ready to stop riding yet.
Huh?

I almost thought riding season was on here! But, with 4-8 inches of snow expected by tomorrow...

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 7:13 pm

Give it another two weeks and our riding season should be just about ready to start.
post #8 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 7:26 pm

Riding season over??? I just had my bike out today for the first time since November. It was 50F, 12 C, and a great day. First time I had been on a bike with 3 ft. snow banks on the sides of the road in ages, but it was such a nice day I couldn't resist unhooking the battery tender, pushing the snowblower out of the way, and getting the bike out of the garage. The sad part....we are supposed to get 15-20 cm (6-10 inches) of snow tomorrow. Talk about a short riding season, start one day, finish the next.

post #9 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 7:35 pm

Riding season over??? I just had my bike out today for the first time since November. It was 50F, 12 C, and a great day. First time I had been on a bike with 3 ft. snow banks on the sides of the road in ages, but it was such a nice day I couldn't resist unhooking the battery tender, pushing the snowblower out of the way, and getting the bike out of the garage. The sad part....we are supposed to get 15-20 cm (6-10 inches) of snow tomorrow. Talk about a short riding season, start one day, finish the next.

post #10 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
I don't get it. "People in glass houses should not throw stones"

Let me elaborate, here it is I have to sit and wait on warmer temps so I could start my season and you are already contemplating an end to the riding season
I know you must be kidding right? I am out the house every day on the highway and since last Sunday I have seen a total of 7 bikes out riding yes I said 7.

If we only had it so good and right now it is just in the 30's expected to go to the 40's by evening.

We can make a trade you come to the midwest and I relocate to AZ. That way I get to go next door to CA. and ride the coast until I am 70
ride safe
Another acute case of PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)!
I think you want to tell the OP to chill out... which would extend his riding season.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 8:40 pm

Garage

Yep! see what Carlos started. I think he was rubbing salt in out wounds. He probably knows we northerners want to ride so he said something about 85-90 temps. But I can fix that.

Fellers I have magnetic maps of all the states I have driven in stuck to my refrigerator. ( I want to duplicate every one of those on the bike). Well I will rearrange them so the AZ comes up right under lake Michigan and I will move IL south under NV and next CA. Then I will see if Carlos still has that sense of humor
ride safe.
post #12 of 18 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 9:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Huh?

I almost thought riding season was on here! But, with 4-8 inches of snow expected by tomorrow...

Ya , ...There's nothing like shoveling 6 inches of partly cloudy

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #13 of 18 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I know you must be kidding right?
Sort of, but not completely. I ride all winter, but not as much in the middle of summer. Or I make sure to ride North/high altitude early in the morning and not return until late in the day. We still have another month or so of riding weather, then I'll summerize the bike and spend the time either indoors or on the boat.

Going to be crazy hot today though. I'm going to go check out those phase change vests at a local dealer.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #14 of 18 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 1:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
Ya , ...There's nothing like shoveling 6 inches of partly cloudy
Forecast was for real. I even rearranged the cars to have the right vehicle for the day.

Apparently the air warmed up more than expected, because today I had about an inch of the white stuff on grass and deck. Still, no complaints: right now a misty mix of rain and melting snow is coming down; hopefully, it will wash down some of the accumulated road salt.

I am looking forward to the oncoming season. I just finished maintenance on the bikes and only got in a single ride this year. It will be a very late start this time.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #15 of 18 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 2:46 pm

Just finished plowing the fresh 8" of snow in the driveway. Supposed to be in the 40's all weekend, so I may be able to take the bike to work on Monday!

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #16 of 18 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 5:05 pm

No such thing as bad riding weather, just bad gear. I heard fellow motorcyclists at work just a couple weeks ago whining about how cold it was here in Phoenix, now same are whining it's too hot.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #17 of 18 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 6:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I took a trip starting in med Feb to New Mexico and I packed both my Gerbings and my cooling vest. In Feb I hit a cold front outside of Abilene and bottomed out at 42. In mid March I hit 94 at Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend. I was comfy the whole time.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #18 of 18 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 6:30 pm

Garage

For all you guys in the southwest here are some cold facts

Every year that I have been riding (since '79) and even before then in Chicago we have a "TOYS FOR TOTS" ride the first Sunday in December. In all that time I have only managed 3
1st one on a 1979 Kawasaki 1000 and the next 2 occasions on my '85 Goldwing. Last year on the weekend before sunshine and in the upper 20's I went for a dry run with my new LT to the starting point. OK, not bad, I could do this. Up until that Friday it was all go.

Then Saturday the 4th Dec. mama nature threw us a curve (snow) not much but just enough to move us off the plate. My driveway had about an inch, my street slush from the cars but the main streets were clear but slick in spots and my baby was too new to chance it. My buddy and I drove over to the meeting place and those who were intent on riding brought their bikes on trailers. Some guys had on Santa suits and some came without a trailer depending on how far they had to travel. But I have never seen a day that was too hot for me to ride at least not yet
ride safe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blizzard 2011 025.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	30913  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in