2nd Bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

2nd Bike?

Out riding my 2009 LT today. Quite windy here in Indy but still a good day for a ride. I rode to Monument Circle in downtown Indy (mistake) and forgot the Big 10 basketball tournament was going on. Lots of traffic, streets blocked, construction, etc. Lots of stop and go. As much as I love riding my LT, today I thought it might be nice to have a second, smaller, bike for when I don't want to drive my Light Truck in situations such as what I mentioned. Does anyone else feel this way or have a 2nd bike for the same reason? I hope so because I'm trying to convince the wife that I "need" one and some support from the guys here might help. I was at the BMW dealership today and a guy heard me talking about that and told me to do what he does. Just buy it and tell her when I get it home. He has no idea the wrath of this woman. She rides an F800ST and I suggested that I use her bike for some of my around town riding.....didn't go over very well. I got that look of death from her.
I'm new to the LT (September 2010) and I had been riding a Honda VTX 1300R cruiser. Do you guys think that once I get used to riding the LT, stop and go traffic will become less of nuisance to me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 12:30 am

Re: 2nd Bike?

For what it's worth, here is my suggestion...STAY OUT OF DOWNTOWN IN ANY CITY especially on a motorcycle!!! Really, the best bike for urban riding would probably be a moped or a scooter, I mean how fast can you really go in downtown?

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 1:17 am

Talking Re: 2nd Bike?

Welcome to the Neighborhood. I am 2yrs new to the K1200LT community and enjoying every minute on this scoot. I don't mind being in city traffic its seems all eyes are on my bike.

It takes time to adjust just ride it with respect and keep up with the maintenance and you're in for a long term relationship.

I remove the trunk and add the rack for a different profile..(2nd Bike)..

Enjoy

05 LT (ocean blue) "Jenny"

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 6:49 am

If you ride the LT often, as in commuting, it will be a fine everyday bike. You will grow into it like an old shoe.
Having said that, I also love riding around Chicago on my GSA.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 7:41 am

Well it is nice to hear someone else in the state of Indiana has a BMW, I was beginning to think there was the only one. I also traded up from a VTX 1300 which has good low speed (city traffic) characteristics. And yes, I've also thought about the second bike option, but I can't justify it given the lack of riding time.
The long distance touring characteristics of LT can't be beat, which is why I bought the bike (and it's great).

Stark
2014 1200RT
In the past
2005 LT
2002 Honda 1300 VTX
2000 Honda 750
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 9:50 am

We all make some trade offs when it comes to choosing a bike - as we all know that one bike can't do it all. A motocross bike isn't a touring bike, and a cruiser isn't a racer or canyon carver, and so on. So we either live with the limitations, make modifications to our bikes, or find a way to justify purchasing specific-use bikes. The later is where I'm at. I loved my LT's, and am waiting on my K1600GTL - nothing finer for long distance touring or a full day of riding the sweepers. But even after 100,000+ miles, it wouldn't be the bike I'd choose to be stuck in downtown or rush hour traffic on a regular basis. I'm fortunate in that I don't have that type of commute, but I do enjoy the open-air feel of a "naked" bike, so I recently picked up an R1200R - it is a blast! Weighing nearly 1/2 of an LT, the bike does the twisties like no LT ever could...no matter how experienced a rider one is.

So yes, after many many years of having one bike to "do it all", I finally have been able to add some specific-use bikes to the garage, and I don't regret it in the least.

Just my 2 cents...

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 9:57 am

I found that after a couple days of riding in heavy traffic, My LT handled it like a champ. You do need to be aware of what is around you.
But with that being said, any reason to have a second bike in the garage is a good one. Some people just don't understand.

Bob
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 7:39 am

Howdy, Neighbor (literally!) from another Fishers inhabitant

Everybody needs a second (or 3rd or 4th or....) bike in the garage. Mine's in my avatar. However, I find the LT light and nimble. It squeezes through tight spots with ease and goes just where you point it. While Indy isn't much at all compared to a lot of cities in terms of downtown traffic, I'd much rather be on my LT there (was this morning, actually!) then in/on anything esle! (Besides, downtown is much better than 465/69 at rush hour!)

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 8:40 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch102
...Everybody needs a second (or 3rd or 4th or....) bike in the garage.
+1

1st bike - '02 K1200LT
2nd bike - '97 F650
3rd bike - '94 Virago 750

Vive la difference!
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 10:01 am

Like what was said before, the more you ride the LT the easier it gets in close quarters. I have a K1200RS which I thought I was going to have to get rid of when I bought my K1200LT. I told my wife that I better hold on to it just to make sure that the LT was the bike for us. Guess what! I still have the KRS and the KLT. I love both. The RS is a sportscar and is just plan fun to ride. If I take a long trip myself, I pack up the RS. As said befor, I love riding it so...... a similar bike to the LT would be the KRS. Same engine only beefier. GO for it. You can get some great deals on the 98's- 2003's.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 11:09 am

Bikes and tools, just can't have enough of them!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:33 pm

The LT is such a great bike. On the road, it handles beautifully. One thing I have found out is that no matter which BMW you ride, the harder you ride it, the better it performs. Two bikes almost makes a fleet so you might qualify for fleet insurance. That is what I told my wife. I don't think she beleives it but then she enjoys riding on the back of both. Remember, he who dies with the most wins. My wife says " he who dies with the most still dies!"
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Every time I think of getting another smaller bike, I'm reminded that it would still have to be big enough to get groceries on, which I love doing on my LT. Perhaps a late 70's early 80's R series would be nice; with at least Krausers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R100RS gold (1).JPG
Views:	29
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	30683  
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 5:16 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I have a 2000 Kawasaki 250 that I bought last summer for my son when he 1st learned to ride. Dealer sold me the wrong plugs and I didn't pay attention to the length when I was putting them in. When I tried to start the bike the plugs poked holes in the piston heads. My wife told me to repair that one and it can be my second bike. She just doesn't get it. That was going to be my third or fourth bike. You know the one that is really too small to do the things you want to do but is so much fun to zip around town on. I think I need to swing by the jewelry store.

Romeo
In my garage:
2014 BMW K1600GTL
2016 Ducati XDiavel S (wife's)
2013 Son's Triumph Daytona 675 Jason DeSalvo Limited Edition. Only 40 built, he has #9
2017 Ducati Monster 1200R (son's)
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 5:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky
Every time I think of getting another smaller bike, I'm reminded that it would still have to be big enough to get groceries on, which I love doing on my LT. Perhaps a late 70's early 80's R series would be nice; with at least Krausers.
+1. That's almost exactly why I went this way:

I've always wanted an Airhead, but the LT made me realize what kind.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 5:44 pm

I have a 2nd bike that is cheap to own, ecconomical to operate, great for conjested traffic, and easily stores in the garage. The only problem that I have is peddling the damn thing uphill.

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 7:56 pm

I have been stuck in traffic for over an hour on an expressway on my prior bike , Suzuki V-Strom 1000 which was only about 500lbs. No fun.

I was in the traffic jam from hell on the LT two up in 95F+ coming through Staten Island. 2+ hours of walking speed, stop feet down, start feet up, probably thousands of times. Also no fun. The top of my legs were sore for a week.

I have been in countless urban situations as a daily rider on a Honda ST1100, V-Strom and LT.

LT was easier in all situations. It just works.

This after 2 years of daily commuting on the LT so I'm pretty comfortable. I think I had the V-Strom for about 3 years at that point, also daily commuting 200+ days a year. About the same with the ST1100.

Bottom line. 2nd bike for me would be a Ural Patrol or similar with a side car for when it snows. For riding on the street in everything except snow I can't think of a better bike for any situation I have been in than the LT.

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Everyone "needs" a second bike! My current 2nd is a HD Road King Classic. I've been thinking an F800GS would make a nice addition too!

Jim
IBA 31981

2005 BMW K1200LT
2006 HD FLHRCI
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 9:41 pm

My second bike is a Harley FXR. If I were to have a third bike, it would be a dual sport bike, something that I could ride over broken streets after the next great California earthquake. I'll be wanting something to get around on to check up on my family and friends so I'll need something that I can ride across people's front lawn when the roads are all broken.

Michael

1999 K1200LT (recently sold, 6/11)
1992 Harley FXR
1982 Honda Sabre (long gone)
1978 Honda CB750K (long gone)
1975 Honda CB360 (long gone, stolen)
1969 Kawasaki 650 W2SS (long gone)
1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler (long gone)
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 3:46 am

I've owned a LOT of bikes over the last number of years, and have noticed several things. Anything on two, or three, wheels, with, or without a motor are fun in some way or other. (I just rediscovered riding bicycles too) I agree with other comments made here that, with practice, the LT is more maneuverable in urban settings than one would suspect early on.

But.....that said.....I'm with you on the idea of something smaller for around town. Here's a couple of suggestions:

First, anything you get for urban fun should have hard bags or storage. Makes the vehicle 3x more useful.

If you're mechanically inclined and like tinkering, get a BMW airhead. Loads of character and lots of fun. Most have bags already.

If you want to smile any time you're on bike #2....get a scooter! Seriously. Not a little 49CC thing....but at least a 200CC Vespa. My personal recommendation....a Burgman 400. Lots of under seat storage, enough pep to handle occasional freeway romps, yet small enough to handle stop/go traffic. But watch out! The tables will turn and next thing you know your wife will be looking at it with lust.

Right now my wife's bike is a Burgman 650, with full GIVI bags, a CB/intercom, GPS, and marine remote FM radio. It's a totally freeway capable, do anything touring machine with good urban capabilities, AND it will haul about 8 or 10 bags of groceries!

I'm serious about the scooter thing.....just get one big enough to have some oomph when you roll on the throttle so you can keep up with traffic. But watch out........they make you giggle. Not good for a grown man in public!

Jeff D

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 4:26 am

My 2nd bike is a bmw R100 T air head which i use on a daily basis .
regards numbnuts in blighty .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in