BMW Bulletin on Installation of Steel Brake Lines - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

BMW Bulletin on Installation of Steel Brake Lines

Hi, all,
My new friend, Hilton, was kind enough to pass on a service bulletin, given to him by a service manager in a German dealership.

It pertains to BMW position on replacement of rubber brake lines with steel-flex. This will likely fan the flames of STEEL-versus-RUBBER discussion. Go on, lads!

The bottom line of the bulletin is:
- On Integral ABS, steel-flex lines may reduce effectiveness of Residual Braking.
- On ABS-2, steel-flex may change control behavior of ABS.

This is my take on this: This issue seems to be a fallout from the Integral ABS residual-braking fiasco, when BMW was accused of evildoing, because braking power was reduced while engine was off. This caused a lot of bad publicity and a lot of legal hassle for the company, plus a lot of trouble proving over and over again that the system is compliant with applicable safety regulations.

Therefore, even if the change of behavior is minute, BMW is loath to condone any modifications to what is approved.

My opinion: I installed steel lines a year ago on my ABS-2 equipped bike. I did notice harder brakes, as expected, but did not pay attention to ABS behavior (did not have too many occasions). I'll check on it when the riding season begins. Like anything else, this is a trade-off: a possibly different characteristic of ABS operation against the likelihood of burst rubber lines, reported here quite frequently. For the time being, I am staying with steel-flex.
Of course, I am not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV, so don't quote me.

Before you get deep into the text of the bulletin, here is a refresher on Residual Braking - adapted from German Wikipedia:

"The residual braking function is an emergency operation in case of failure of the brake booster, as specified by law. If the hydraulic pump and electromagnets are not active, a valve closes and a Residual Braking piston is moved. The resultant manual brake pressure requires longer and more powerful hand lever movement than during Active Braking. "

Translation of the bulletin, in boldface.

Service Information 3/2003
Technical Customer Service

Possibility of Retrofit with Steel-Flex Brake Lines in Vehicles with ABS
All Models with Integral ABS and ABS2

1. Vehicles with Integral ABS

In vehicles with Integral ABS the whole brake system is optimized for the operation of ABS, of active braking and residual braking. In particular, the internal volume changes of the system (brake lines, calipers, etc.) affect the function of the system. Installation of steel-flex lines modifies the change of volume; as a rule, the volume will change less (hard brakes).

Wheel circuit:
Installation of steel-flex lines in Integral ABS wheel circuit (between pressure modulator and brake caliper) can cause a situation where a very fast increase of pressure reaches the pressure limit in controls, limiting the pressure during residual braking - thus preventing reaching the locking limit.
Furthermore, the retrofit does not bring a performance improvement, since the active brake system pumps compensate for change of volume in brake lines.

Installation of steel-flex brake lines in wheel circuit is not allowed.

Control circuit:
Installation of steel-flex brake line in control circuit can cause a change of brake feel; here BMW sees no safety-related limitations with regard to the residual brake function.

2. Vehicles with ABS 2

In vehicles with ABS2, installation of steel-flex lines in the wheel circuit (between pressure modulator and brake caliper) affects ABS regulation, which modulates pressure based on change of volume in wheel circuit. That is, due to a different volume-to-pressure characteristic of the lines, the same change in volume will correspond to a different brake pressure. This changes the control levels of the ABS control.

BMW does not approve of installation of steel-flex lines in wheel circuit.

Hint: Installation of steel-flex brake line between hand controls and ABS Modulator can cause a change in the brake feel; however, BMW sees no safety-related limitations with regard to the residual brake function.

Should you discuss this matter with your customer, advise him about the issues described in this service bulletin. The installation of steel-flex brake lines between ABS Modulator and the caliper is not permitted by BMW.
This also pertains to steel-flex brake lines from third-party vendors.

End of bulletin. Notice the wording:
Integral ABS: Installation of steel-flex brake lines in wheel circuit is not allowed.
ABS-2: BMW does not approve of installation of steel-flex lines in wheel circuit.

I understand this as "characteristics will change and we are not responsible - but, with Residual braking we went through regulatory hell, so don't touch it".

Forgive the poor writing style of my translation. As I switch my mind to Technical German, my English literary prowess ties up in a (Bavarian) pretzel.

Click on thumbnail below for larger-size image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Service_Bulletin_800.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	30396  

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Feb 12th, 2011 at 2:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 5:37 pm
Cat Herder

Re: BMW Bulletin on Installation of Steel Brake Lines

Actually they not only say "don't do it" they say it a much harscher Form and basically they say changing to Steel break lines is verboten/not acceptable. Since this is a German document, this will have only impact in Germany, but this basically mean that a bike IN GERMANY with steel break lines has no valid registration.

In Germany *ANYTHING* that "substantially changes the vehicle" needs to be signed off of by the TUV, and with a letter like this from the manufacturer the TUV will not sign off on the change. If you still do it and get into an accident you are in deep shit if the insurance sees that, because they then are released from insuring you, after all you have not been driving/riding the vehicle that was insured. (was substantially changed) BTDT
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 6:49 pm

This is interesting, altho I like SS braided lines It might be worthwhile to just replace with OEM rubber and be satisfied with a new hose as opposed to an older rotting hose.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 7:47 pm

Aren't the Speigler SS Braided lines nothing more than a stainless steel wrap around a rubber hose? This bulletin, as I'm reading it, talks about steel lines - apples and oranges.
My take would be that the SS wrap simply doesn't allow for the type of expansion that is seen in older, worn rubber hoses.
Please correct me if I'm failing to understand this correctly.
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Aren't the Speigler SS Braided lines nothing more than a stainless steel wrap around a rubber hose? This bulletin, as I'm reading it, talks about steel lines - apples and oranges.....
Again, in order to be consistent in nomenclature, I'll defer to German Wikipedia to clarify the Stahlflex term used in the original BMW document:

"Steel-flex lines (braided lines) are made of a PTFE (Teflon) hose that runs in a stainless steel mesh sheath. Braided lines are commonly used in brake systems of high-performance motorcycles and cars as a replacement for aging rubber hoses."

According to this, Spiegler braided lines are the type described in the BMW service document.

By the way, what Andreas writes, is true: unapproved equipment may violate your registration and your insurance in Germany. What's interesting is that either BMW did not issue such advisory for United States or our dealers did not pay attention. Until now, I did not hear anything about steel-flex retrofits not being allowed.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Last edited by rdwalker; Feb 12th, 2011 at 11:11 pm.
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Interesting. Thanks. Guess all I can say is that I do like the Speigler lines, and only noticed an improvement over the originals. Wonder what the long term affects might be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in