Your Dream MC trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Your Dream MC trip

What would it be and who would you travel with??

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Re: Your Dream MC trip

South Island of New Zealand on a GSA with a couple of Cigar smoking, scotch drinking neer do wells with questionable morals.

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
post #3 of 20 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 2:41 pm
cws

Garage

Doing it next April/May... a lap of Australia (clock-wise direction) starting in Sydney, about 16-17000km. My dear lady Kerry on the back seat, of course!
Just spent 2 days testing a camper-trailer, which worked out great.... much planning ahead!
Happy New Year all...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 20 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERKMECH
South Island of New Zealand on a GSA with a couple of Cigar smoking, scotch drinking neer do wells with questionable morals.
wow. Sounds like a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #5 of 20 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Doing it next April/May... a lap of Australia (clock-wise direction) starting in Sydney, about 16-17000km. My dear lady Kerry on the back seat, of course!
Just spent 2 days testing a camper-trailer, which worked out great.... much planning ahead!
Happy New Year all...
Great that you're doing it. How long will it take you?

Greg

post #6 of 20 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Quote:
You book the tickets, I'll pick up a case of a selection of Single Malts, I won't smoke those green cigars!

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #7 of 20 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 4:02 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Great that you're doing it. How long will it take you?
Plan is 63 days start to finish... enough time to enjoy some sights along the way!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 20 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 4:07 pm

North rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, followed by a few days on Lake Powell to chill.

That and Highway 1 from Santa Barbara to Victoria BC. Maybe throw in a side trip to Yosemite and Death Valley while you're at it.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 20 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Dream MC trip??? It would start January 1 and finish December 31 (if money was no object) and I would go in which ever direction the bike pointed itself towards, shake hands with as many of those on this board as I can and take enough pictures as I possibly could.

Rinse - Lather - Repeat!!!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #10 of 20 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 6:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
You book the tickets, I'll pick up a case of a selection of Single Malts, I won't smoke those green cigars!
That's on my schedule for 2012!

In 60 days I'm off to South Africa for another Bucket List Ride!

No local single malts in ZA, but the wine is superb!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 20 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 1:32 am
Super Moderator

Ride the Alps, Stelvio Pass (and any other pass for that matter), and that wicked road in Romania that the Top Gear guys found. Then blast around Spain and Portugal chasing MotoGP for a few weeks.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #12 of 20 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 6:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Ride the Alps, Stelvio Pass (and any other pass for that matter), and that wicked road in Romania that the Top Gear guys found. Then blast around Spain and Portugal chasing MotoGP for a few weeks.
Yes. I'd like to see Europe that way, too. But I'd also like to go to Alaska.

Greg

post #13 of 20 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 6:48 am

Europe....................
Italy, Austria, France.........................
With my Karen only.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #14 of 20 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 7:02 am

The Pan-American highway, top to bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pan_american_highway_map.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	29966  

David Falkenstein

Cohesive Technology - seamless is everything

P: (603) 283-7624
post #15 of 20 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 8:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you want to read a little about the Pan-American highway . Ed Culberson did it & then wrote a book about it . Obsessions Die Hard,... http://www.amazon.com/Obsessions-Die...tag=dogpile-20 . I met him & his friend just south of Muncho Lake B.C. in 1987 , he was finishing up his trip of the Pan-American highway , & a friend & I where going to Alaska . He only had the Alaska part to do to have done it all . We talked about the rain , it had been raining all day . Later that day we heard the road had washed out behind us . Anyway ,... I met him a few more times over the years after that . At the BMW Campout for bike week at Daytona . I got a copy of his book from him there & had him autograph it for me . He was a good guy , ALS took him way too young .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #16 of 20 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 9:28 pm

1. Poughkeepsie, NY to Vancouver, BC with my brother

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Blog:

post #17 of 20 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 6:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
Dream MC trip??? It would start January 1 and finish December 31 (if money was no object) and I would go in which ever direction the bike pointed itself towards, shake hands with as many of those on this board as I can and take enough pictures as I possibly could.

Rinse - Lather - Repeat!!!

Ditto! But since I am still shy of pulling the pin I'd like to make a run up along the Feather River in CA to OR, WA and then back down along the coast to SF. Did it a number of years ago in a cage and would love to do it on two wheels. That's for the U.S.

For Europe I'd take the Alps anytime.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #18 of 20 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
North rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, followed by a few days on Lake Powell to chill.
Haven't done the North Rim or Lake Powell, but Utah is absolutely fantastic. If you haven't done Arches, Canyonlands, Dinosaur and Flaming Gorge you may as well put them on the list when you're in Utah.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #19 of 20 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
What would it be and who would you travel with??
Anywhere, any time, with my wife holdin' tight as pillion. Heaven on earth!
post #20 of 20 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 8:22 am

So many choices...what would I do...I could go there and do that...or I could...

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in