BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   Bike Talk (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/bike-talk/)
-   -   Your Dream MC trip (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/bike-talk/58973-your-dream-mc-trip.html)

gpolakow Dec 29th, 2010 1:30 pm

Your Dream MC trip

What would it be and who would you travel with??

HERKMECH Dec 29th, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: Your Dream MC trip

South Island of New Zealand on a GSA with a couple of Cigar smoking, scotch drinking neer do wells with questionable morals.

cws Dec 29th, 2010 2:41 pm

Doing it next April/May... a lap of Australia (clock-wise direction) starting in Sydney, about 16-17000km. My dear lady Kerry on the back seat, of course!
Just spent 2 days testing a camper-trailer, which worked out great.... much planning ahead!
Happy New Year all...

gpolakow Dec 29th, 2010 3:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERKMECH
South Island of New Zealand on a GSA with a couple of Cigar smoking, scotch drinking neer do wells with questionable morals.

wow. Sounds like a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?

gpolakow Dec 29th, 2010 3:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cws
Doing it next April/May... a lap of Australia (clock-wise direction) starting in Sydney, about 16-17000km. My dear lady Kerry on the back seat, of course!
Just spent 2 days testing a camper-trailer, which worked out great.... much planning ahead!
Happy New Year all...

Great that you're doing it. How long will it take you?

myk_edwards Dec 29th, 2010 3:35 pm

Quote:

You book the tickets, I'll pick up a case of a selection of Single Malts, I won't smoke those green cigars!

cws Dec 29th, 2010 4:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpolakow
Great that you're doing it. How long will it take you?

Plan is 63 days start to finish... enough time to enjoy some sights along the way!

RonKMiller Dec 29th, 2010 4:07 pm

North rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, followed by a few days on Lake Powell to chill.

That and Highway 1 from Santa Barbara to Victoria BC. Maybe throw in a side trip to Yosemite and Death Valley while you're at it. ;)

UncleMark Dec 29th, 2010 4:49 pm

Dream MC trip??? It would start January 1 and finish December 31 (if money was no object) and I would go in which ever direction the bike pointed itself towards, shake hands with as many of those on this board as I can and take enough pictures as I possibly could.

Rinse - Lather - Repeat!!!

:D

PMitchell Dec 29th, 2010 6:13 pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by myk_edwards
You book the tickets, I'll pick up a case of a selection of Single Malts, I won't smoke those green cigars!

That's on my schedule for 2012!

In 60 days I'm off to South Africa for another Bucket List Ride! :D

No local single malts in ZA, but the wine is superb! :thumb:

DavidTaylor Dec 30th, 2010 1:32 am

Ride the Alps, Stelvio Pass (and any other pass for that matter), and that wicked road in Romania that the Top Gear guys found. Then blast around Spain and Portugal chasing MotoGP for a few weeks.

gpolakow Dec 30th, 2010 6:45 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Ride the Alps, Stelvio Pass (and any other pass for that matter), and that wicked road in Romania that the Top Gear guys found. Then blast around Spain and Portugal chasing MotoGP for a few weeks.

Yes. I'd like to see Europe that way, too. But I'd also like to go to Alaska.

STARFIGHTER Dec 30th, 2010 6:48 am

Europe....................
Italy, Austria, France.........................
With my Karen only.

CohesiveTechnology Dec 30th, 2010 7:02 am

1 Attachment(s)
The Pan-American highway, top to bottom.

Patric Dec 30th, 2010 8:46 pm

If you want to read a little about the Pan-American highway . Ed Culberson did it & then wrote a book about it . Obsessions Die Hard,... http://www.amazon.com/Obsessions-Die...tag=dogpile-20 . I met him & his friend just south of Muncho Lake B.C. in 1987 , he was finishing up his trip of the Pan-American highway , & a friend & I where going to Alaska . He only had the Alaska part to do to have done it all . We talked about the rain , it had been raining all day . Later that day we heard the road had washed out behind us . Anyway ,... I met him a few more times over the years after that . At the BMW Campout for bike week at Daytona . I got a copy of his book from him there & had him autograph it for me . He was a good guy , ALS took him way too young .

Lawrence_D Dec 30th, 2010 9:28 pm

1. Poughkeepsie, NY to Vancouver, BC with my brother

Tracus Dec 31st, 2010 6:51 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleMark
Dream MC trip??? It would start January 1 and finish December 31 (if money was no object) and I would go in which ever direction the bike pointed itself towards, shake hands with as many of those on this board as I can and take enough pictures as I possibly could.

Rinse - Lather - Repeat!!!

:D

Ditto! But since I am still shy of pulling the pin I'd like to make a run up along the Feather River in CA to OR, WA and then back down along the coast to SF. Did it a number of years ago in a cage and would love to do it on two wheels. That's for the U.S.

For Europe I'd take the Alps anytime.

Tracus Dec 31st, 2010 6:54 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonKMiller
North rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, followed by a few days on Lake Powell to chill.

Haven't done the North Rim or Lake Powell, but Utah is absolutely fantastic. If you haven't done Arches, Canyonlands, Dinosaur and Flaming Gorge you may as well put them on the list when you're in Utah.

XMagnaRider Dec 31st, 2010 7:38 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpolakow
What would it be and who would you travel with??

Anywhere, any time, with my wife holdin' tight as pillion. Heaven on earth!

wrmoss Dec 31st, 2010 8:22 am

So many choices...what would I do...I could go there and do that...or I could... :kaboom: