"But I Wasn’t Even Thirsty" - BMW Owners News article - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 27th, 2010, 6:37 am Thread Starter

"But I Wasn’t Even Thirsty" - BMW Owners News article

I thought it was a very good article about longer rides, hydration and how to take better care of yourself. The November 2010 edition that can be read on line.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/general_i...t_even_thirsty

Rider, an EMT, writes about his ride, some hydration problems and the results. A very good informative article that everyone should read to better understand obvious and not so obvious signs to be aware of and the results if not treated correctly.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 27th, 2010, 9:03 am

Re: "But I Wasn’t Even Thirsty" - BMW Owners News article

Good article

Thanks for sharing...
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 27th, 2010, 10:17 am

Good article Dan.

My wife and I are applicators out here in the high western desert. We have seen and had experience with a lot of hydration problems and even now, with the temps hanging around '0' there is reason for being aware of the problem..........The ER stays pretty busy this time of year with folks not familiar with these issues.

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 27th, 2010, 11:04 pm

On anything other than local rides, I keep a Camelbak liner in my tankbag so I can reach the drinking tube while riding. If you drink only at fuel stops, then you aren't drinking enough.

Many Iron Butt riders keep a full gallon (or two) strapped on the passenger footpeg(s) - with longer drinking tubes, of course.
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 27th, 2010, 11:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
. If you drink only at fuel stops, then you aren't drinking enough.

Depends on how often you do fuel stops, but I get the point. We stop every 100 miles to force fluids, stretch and whatever. (Some places out west we don't let the gas get below 1/2 tank if we can help it).

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:31 am
Enjoy The Ride

I always carry a 12 oz bottle of water that I can get to while riding. Even on the hottest summer trips with temps around 90 to 100 on 900 mile days I've never gone thru more than 24 ounces on the bike. That doesn't include the fluid during food breaks. I'm lucky in that even with all my gear on no mater how hot it gets I hardly break a sweat riding.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 11:33 am

I agree that drinking only at stops isn't enough. When I'm gliding I have a tube back to my water and am in the habit of taking regular sips. Quite often when I land I've nearly emptied a 2 liter bottle. If you feel thirsty it's too late, you're already de-hydrated and performance suffers.
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I always carry a 12 oz bottle of water that I can get to while riding. Even on the hottest summer trips with temps around 90 to 100 on 900 mile days I've never gone thru more than 24 ounces on the bike. That doesn't include the fluid during food breaks. I'm lucky in that even with all my gear on no mater how hot it gets I hardly break a sweat riding.
Just because you "hardly break a sweat" doesn't mean that you aren't losing a lot of water from your body. It takes a lot of water to keep your body from dehydrating in 100 degree temps over 900 miles. Perhaps you are different and don't need much hydration, but I doubt it. Maybe you drink a lot of fluids from other sources at food breaks. If your urine is dark at rest stops (or you don't have to go), then you probably aren't getting enough fluids.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in