This seems to be happening way too often - Had to clean out the shorts (figuratively) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 7:40 am Thread Starter

This seems to be happening way too often - Had to clean out the shorts (figuratively)

Riding the K1200LT home on the interstate yesterday from the fish tank, a car approaching from the rear, simply pulled over into my lane and didn't leave me anywhere to go except to split the lane to my right. Thought I was riding defensively in alot of fast moving traffic, but obviously I missed something.

I try to take 100% responsibility for everything that happens while I'm on the road, but this [email protected]# H*&#, was either not paying attention, or just didn't care and quickly moved into my lane. He didn't seem to be on a cell phone or eating, just in a hurry. As he passed me, he was weaving in and out of other lanes.

I've got to say that the ABS brakes and quick acceleration of the K1200LT saved me. Along with the other motorist who allowed me to share their lane. It was obvious, by the reactions of the others around me, after the incident, that they too questioned his actions. I got a few sympathetic nods.

I was obviously complacent and it was a good wake up call to be more attentive. I normally ride on the interstate without turning on the headlight high beam flicker, (previously used on side streets and rural roads) to keep from annoying oncoming motorist and the ones in front of me, but I think it's time to keep it on. All The Right Gear, but still scary. Got an appointment today to get the seat removed!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:04 am

Re: This seems to be happening way too often - Had to clean out the shorts (figuratively)

Dan, as always, I am glad you are hear to read this, but then, after all the "fun" we had when my wife and I went on a 560 mile weekend trip to the Illinois valley, well, just let me say that when you are crusing down the two lane near one of increasing number of wind farms, keep in mind the oncoming truck may be distracted and drift. Luckily as you say, the LT is nimble, and I am glad to be reading your note. Yes, I think lack of attention is on the increase. I am wondering what it will be like when Gen Y become the majority of the drivers. - Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:26 am

Re: This seems to be happening way too often - Had to clean out the shorts (figuratively)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
Yes, I think lack of attention is on the increase. I am wondering what it will be like when Gen Y become the majority of the drivers. - Bil
Google will be driving the cars for them.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ive-Your-Car-/

click link.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:46 am

Good on ya for at least seeing him in time. Maybe he was running from the law or delivering a baby in the back seat but still to totally disregard someones life is just plain wrong.
Glad your still around.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 9:43 am

Glad you survived...

Now, THAT is justification for that "person" to first spend 2 weeks at an ER, then, be required to ride "public transportation" for a year.. then ride a MC for 2 years. Then be allowed to drive a "Mini" car for 5 years.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 14 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Now, THAT is justification for that "person" to first spend 2 weeks at an ER, then, be required to ride "public transportation" for a year.. then ride a MC for 2 years. Then be allowed to drive a "Mini" car for 5 years.
I like that - maybe we could even get a bicycle-only sentence inserted in there too............
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen
I like that - maybe we could even get a bicycle-only sentence inserted in there too............
Excellent idea... they could ride the bi-cycle to the ER.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 14 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 3:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Glad you're OK, Dan. And I agree sentencing that requires increased exposure is good. Just like folks who are rude to cashiers & wait staff, should have to work on their feet in retail as penance.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 9:17 pm

Seeing that this guy was coming meant you were doing your best to maintain 360 degree awareness.

Always have an out...you had to create one.

Skillful riding on your part.

(And I know I-75!)
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 7:35 am

Well done!

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #11 of 14 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 9:43 am

Glad you made it Dan and could share the experience with us. I very rarely ride the interstate, but these country road crossings around here are lethal especially with the cage driver on a cell phone. One has to be constantly on the defensive.

Keep sharp

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:53 am

Scary, Dan. Glad you're okay.
I had kind of the reverse thing happen to me on the way up to Duluth 2 years ago. There was a long line of heavy trucks carrying some kind of construction equipment driving in the passing lane of the 4 lane. Leading the line was a van. Not sure at all why they were in the passing lane, but I sped up to pass them on the right and as was cutting back into the passing lane to continue, the van purposely sped up to cut me off. Couldn't believe it. I was forced to squirt up between vehicles in the lanes to get away from this moron.
My buddy was behind me and pulled up next to the guy who was busy on his radio laughing about what he had just done as he reported it to his friends. My buddy got his attention by beeping his horn then flipped him off. They guy looked shocked.
Amazing the a - holes out there. Really amazing.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #13 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Scary, Dan. Glad you're okay.
I had kind of the reverse thing happen to me on the way up to Duluth 2 years ago. There was a long line of heavy trucks carrying some kind of construction equipment driving in the passing lane of the 4 lane. Leading the line was a van. Not sure at all why they were in the passing lane, but I sped up to pass them on the right and as was cutting back into the passing lane to continue, the van purposely sped up to cut me off. Couldn't believe it. I was forced to squirt up between vehicles in the lanes to get away from this moron.
My buddy was behind me and pulled up next to the guy who was busy on his radio laughing about what he had just done as he reported it to his friends. My buddy got his attention by beeping his horn then flipped him off. They guy looked shocked.
Amazing the a - holes out there. Really amazing.
I would never do it, but I've know people to carry ball bearing for just that occasion. Had something similar to you happen to me, riding through TN two years ago. Cars were pacing the speed limit and not letting anyone pass. Filled up all the lanes at the speed limit and had a mile of traffic behind them. First time I had seen that and my first lane splitting..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 6:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Riding the K1200LT home on the interstate yesterday from the fish tank, a car approaching from the rear, simply pulled over into my lane and didn't leave me anywhere to go except to split the lane to my right. Thought I was riding defensively in alot of fast moving traffic, but obviously I missed something.

I try to take 100% responsibility for everything that happens while I'm on the road, but this [email protected]# H*&#, was either not paying attention, or just didn't care and quickly moved into my lane. He didn't seem to be on a cell phone or eating, just in a hurry. As he passed me, he was weaving in and out of other lanes.

I've got to say that the ABS brakes and quick acceleration of the K1200LT saved me. Along with the other motorist who allowed me to share their lane. It was obvious, by the reactions of the others around me, after the incident, that they too questioned his actions. I got a few sympathetic nods.

I was obviously complacent and it was a good wake up call to be more attentive. I normally ride on the interstate without turning on the headlight high beam flicker, (previously used on side streets and rural roads) to keep from annoying oncoming motorist and the ones in front of me, but I think it's time to keep it on. All The Right Gear, but still scary. Got an appointment today to get the seat removed!
Sounds like the Illinois "Snow Birds" have started migrating already.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in