Fly in Ride Out - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

Fly in Ride Out

Hi All,

I'm considering a slightly used RT that is several states away, about 800 miles. I bought my last bike at a distance but I drove up and trailered that one. This one I'd have fly to and ride back home. Has anyone done this, any advice appreciated, anything in particular to consider.

Thanks,
T

BTW - This would be my first BMW

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:39 pm
Cat Herder

Re: Fly in Ride Out

I have done that twice in the past, but both times with new bikes. *I* liked it and it is a way to get accustomed to your new baby right away.

One thing that could already become a problem or not, depending on your personal location and the bikes location is the weather along the route.

Other than that: GO FOR IT, man. You'll like it.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:41 pm

I bought an 06 GT out in Oregon a couple of years ago, flew out from Alabama to pick it up and rode down the coast hwy to LA. Then back through Utah and Colorado and had a blast. Would do it again in a heartbeat. PM me if you want to talk about it and i'll give you my number.

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdriver51
I bought an 06 GT out in Oregon a couple of years ago, flew out from Alabama to pick it up and rode down the coast hwy to LA. Then back through Utah and Colorado and had a blast. Would do it again in a heartbeat. PM me if you want to talk about it and i'll give you my number.
Ditto -- flew from Wash. DC to Denver last October to pick up an '88 R100RT and rode it back.

The key is to bring what you need, but no more -- although that can turn into a bunch of stuff anyways. In my case, due to the time of year (Oct.), elevation changes (1 mile+ to sea level) and distance (1700 mi), I brought quite a bit of "bring this in case the weather is ___" stuff.

I used a Helen2Wheels compression sack bag (similar to a military duffel bag) to lay across the passenger seat, along with a number of tie-downs and a bungie net. The bag held my Aerostich Roadcrafter full suit, electric jacket, other riding gear (regular gloves, winter gloves), tool kit (lots 'o stuff, as this was a then-22 year old airhead of uncertain condition), hydration pack, clothes for layering, shaving kit, etc. I carried my helmet and incidentals in a backpack-like carry-on bag.

I also had a back up plan in the event of problems -- tow company to call, credit card to use, and if close enough to home, family on hot-standby to bring the trailer out to pick me up.

Happy to discuss by phone, as well.

Good luck, and have fun!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Ditto -- flew from Wash. DC to Denver last October to pick up an '88 R100RT and rode it back.

The key is to bring what you need, but no more -- although that can turn into a bunch of stuff anyways. In my case, due to the time of year (Oct.), elevation changes (1 mile+ to sea level) and distance (1700 mi), I brought quite a bit of "bring this in case the weather is ___" stuff.

I used a Helen2Wheels compression sack bag (similar to a military duffel bag) to lay across the passenger seat, along with a number of tie-downs and a bungie net. The bag held my Aerostich Roadcrafter full suit, electric jacket, other riding gear (regular gloves, winter gloves), tool kit (lots 'o stuff, as this was a then-22 year old airhead of uncertain condition), hydration pack, clothes for layering, shaving kit, etc. I carried my helmet and incidentals in a backpack-like carry-on bag.

I also had a back up plan in the event of problems -- tow company to call, credit card to use, and if close enough to home, family on hot-standby to bring the trailer out to pick me up.

Happy to discuss by phone, as well.

Good luck, and have fun!
I have done it twice and always ship out a box of riding gear to the seller. Then just load up your saddlebags, do the deal, and off you go.........

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 3:34 pm

I have done it from Florida to Arizona and last time from Colorado Springs to Arizona. I carried my backrest with me and installed at the seller home. First thing I did was transferring my old windshield (C-Baileys) and old seat (Pre-05 Comfort seat) to the new LT when I got home :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travman
Hi All,

I'm considering a slightly used RT that is several states away, about 800 miles. I bought my last bike at a distance but I drove up and trailered that one. This one I'd have fly to and ride back home. Has anyone done this, any advice appreciated, anything in particular to consider.

Thanks,
T

BTW - This would be my first BMW

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 5:34 pm

Thumbs up Re: Fly in Ride Out

I have done it 3 times. I flew from LAX to Pittsburgh to pick up my 03 LT. Mike in Pittsburgh picked me up at the airport and drove me to where the bike was, then to UPS to ship the excess accessories that came with the bike and I rode home to L.A.
I flew to TN to pick up Kathy's F-650 and rode it back to L.A. Not quite an LD tourer this was a bit more challenging, but using a few bungees I made it work.
I flew to Boca Raton to pick up my 05 LT and rode it without any issues back to L.A.
As mentioned above be sure to have insurance coverage ahead of tim, pick your route based on weather/elevation, etc... and you should be fine. Personally I love road trips!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Two years ago I bought a R1100S in Kentucky, drove out 400 miles to meet the seller halfway, loaded it up on my truck and drove back to Kansas City. I don't really remember anything special apart from the fact that it for a full day I had my son's company for myself. Then last year I bought Mini Cooper S in Nashville TN, and the two of us flew out and drove it back. This was much less tiring and much more fun being a one-way drive in a "new" vehicle. Four weeks ago I bought a K1200LT in Phoenix AZ, flew out with my wife on the Friday before Labor Day, mounted up and rode back to Kansas City. We started out in 110F heat, rode through a thunderstorm in New Mexico the very same night with the temperature plummeting to 54F, the next day we had 35mph gusty winds to contend with, spend time with friends in Wichita and arrived home after a 1,300 mile trip that we will remember for a long time.

Make sure you have all paperwork in order - bill of sale, insurance and temporary registration if the seller does not want to let you ride with his plates. You'll probably have to trust the seller that the motorcycle was properly maintained and that the brakes and tires are in sufficiently good condition to make it back home.

Also, never having been in AZ and NM before a GPS came in very handy and added to the relaxation - no stress about getting lost! Would I do it again? Definitely, and I would recommend taking company with. Sharing the experience is much more fun that going it alone!

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks folks for the suggestions. Will make a decision on this soon but unfortunately due to work/family schedule, I'd bu the bike but would not be able to pick up for nearly a month but seller says not a problem. Now to convince the boss, she will think that I am absolutely nuts. Batdirver, I'll be in touch as this gets closer, thanks.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in