3L Camelbak for $19.99... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

3L Camelbak for $19.99...

Not sure how long this is gonna' last, but found this last week:

http://www.botachtactical.com/cath3l10deca.html

CamelBak ThermoBak 3L / 100oz Desert Camo

http://www.botachtactical.com/cath3l10deca.html

For those of you who ride in the heat, or those who like to ride long-distance and would like to have access to hydration without having to stop and drag it out of the top-case, this is a RIDICULOUSLY good deal. (Camelbaks in the 3-liter capacity run as much as $200, the thermobak doesn't have any other storage capacity, but is thick neoprene, so if you fill it half-full with ice and the other half with gatorade or whatever you drink, it'll stay insulated and cool--or I guess if you're half-crazy, you could fill it with coffee and it would stay warm?)

Have at it.

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 4:37 pm

Re: 3L Camelbak for $19.99...

I don't like a backpack on my back while riding, so I keep a CamelBak liner in the main compartment of my tank bag with the drinking tube poking out the end of the tank bag's zipper. I can pull it out, take a sip, and push it back. It is very convenient. I wrap the liner in an old kitchen towel to absorb sweat and provide some insulation. I fill the bag with ice, then add water to top it off. At fuel stops I ask politely if I can refill my liner with ice and water from the soda fountain. So far, nobody has said no.

When I went to buy a CamelBak liner, I found that it was cheaper to buy a backpack and then remove the liner.

A 1.5 liter CamelBak liner is a tight fit in my Engage tank bag main compartment, which is small. If I were doing it over again, I would buy a larger tank bag and a larger CamelBak liner.

I looked at the 3 liter CamelBak in the ad Pete mentioned, and wonder if the mouthpiece is the standard "bite" type or something else.
post #3 of 15 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 4:52 pm
BMW Guru

It is a good deal but they want 12 bucks for shipping. I was going to order one until I saw that.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #4 of 15 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

FYI, a 3L liner alone retails for $30.00--so if you bought one, it's essentially $2 for the insulating pack.

and yeah, it's the same "mouthpiece" that you bite to enable liquid flow.

Buy one, don't buy one, doesn't matter to me.

Camelback also sells a 40" "tube extender" that allows you to then have more than four feet of tubing from the thing--I ordered one of those from the local REI shop for $9.60, will then just strap the thing to the back of my back-up backrest or hell even the top rack of my top case (or luggage on long trips).

I've been watching them on eBay for over a month, haven't seen anything that was NEW for anything close to this (and it really bothers me to imagine buying a USED one--who the heck knows what you'd end up with?)

post #5 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:03 pm
cws

Garage

Pete, did you wind up buying one of these?
Or anyone, are they a good shape to wear on the LT for long trips?

Wouldn't mind getting 2 (one for me, one for her ladyship in the passenger compartment) but looks like shipping might be complicated (as usual...).
The same unit seems to be about AU$200 over here... bloody robbers.

Whats the difference betwee these and the "classic" type camelbak (never even seen one, so no idea...)

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 15 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Yup, I got one.

The difference from that and the "standard" models is that it isn't a "backpack with a waterbottle"--it's just the waterbottle with straps, essentially. But, it's a waterbottle that's covered in neoprene, so it's an insulated waterbottle--the standard ones just put the resevoir in a pocket, no insulation. There's about 15 varieties of the "standard" models, different types of backpacks, essentially, for bicyclists and hikers, marathon runners--all the way up to military versions that are in gigantic packs, that's why this one is $20 and some of the "standard" ones are ten times that.

I filled mine to the top with ice, then put gatorade in it, went for a three hour ride in 95 degrees, when I finished, I still had ice. Don't think a standard one would have done that, but I never tried one so I can't say for sure.

I should be a salesman for these guys...

post #7 of 15 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Yup, I got one.

The difference from that and the "standard" models is that it isn't a "backpack with a waterbottle"--it's just the waterbottle with straps, essentially. But, it's a waterbottle that's covered in neoprene, so it's an insulated waterbottle--the standard ones just put the resevoir in a pocket, no insulation. There's about 15 varieties of the "standard" models, different types of backpacks, essentially, for bicyclists and hikers, marathon runners--all the way up to military versions that are in gigantic packs, that's why this one is $20 and some of the "standard" ones are ten times that.

I filled mine to the top with ice, then put gatorade in it, went for a three hour ride in 95 degrees, when I finished, I still had ice. Don't think a standard one would have done that, but I never tried one so I can't say for sure.

I should be a salesman for these guys...
Pete,

Is the "waterbottle" (liner) removeable?
Is the insulation part of the liner or part of the pack?
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 1:50 pm Thread Starter

Liner slips out of the neoprene carrier which has backpack straps. I used the straps to secure it to my backup backrest

post #9 of 15 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 6:08 pm
cws

Garage

Thanks Pete. I've put in an order for 2... will see how we go with shipping costs...
just another add-on for my "round Oz" adventure next year.
cheers!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 9:41 am

Guys;

I ordered and received two (2) of these. They are well made, and the color is not that bad.Well insulated and should last quite a few miles when filled. Hot or cold.

I sent them a bank transfer, and made sure they shipped by USPS to reduce the shipping costs. Total cost 39.98 and 12.00 shipping costs to Canada.
These are quite a bit more expensive in Canada, around 60.00 each was the cheapest I found.

Won't need these till the spring here!

Regards,
Bowdon
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Thanks Pete. I've put in an order for 2... will see how we go with shipping costs...
just another add-on for my "round Oz" adventure next year.
cheers!

Wish I could join you, my friend!

post #12 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the link Pete. Got mine ordered.

Don't miss the fact that you can save 10% by using the code "stimulus" during checkout.

Motor On ,/'

post #13 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 5:13 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Wish I could join you, my friend!
Yeah, that would be fun! Would be good to have another bike travel with us. I might get the chance to link up with some other aussies on a couple of sections... who knows.

If you want a taste of what it'll be like... have a look at the video on the Snowy Ride web site... 50 bikes going round OZ right now that'll finish up at the charity event for kids cancer, Snowy Ride. Video & pics of the first 8-10 days I think is online... http://snowyride.org.au/

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 15 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 4:51 am

I just wrestled with their form for over half an hour but finally got the order in. Now waiting for shipping costs. Thanks for the heads up.
post #15 of 15 Old Nov 1st, 2010, 6:54 pm
cws

Garage

Well this sucks. They finally got back to sending me the shipping costs amounts and bank details, all up to get 2 of them to Australia would be US$65.91. Thats not too bad.....
Now for the punch-line... to do an IMT (International Money Transfer) my bank fees here are about $25, the I'm told the US banks could charge upwards of $50 or more between them to get the money to Botach's account!
This has become not worthwhile..... unless someone in the US (with a PAYPAL acct) feels like ordering a couple for me and on-shipping, and I'll transfer the $$ through Paypal... anyone?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in