IBA run on return from CCR - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

IBA run on return from CCR

I'm considering making a SS1000 qualification ride on the way home from CCR. What do I need in the way of paper work for sign off on the start and sign off at the end. One GPS run shows me 1100 miles portal to portal with a stop at Hartford International Airport to drop Connie off.

So IBA riders, what do I need to have to be prepared upon leaving here.

TIA.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 9:34 pm

Re: IBA run on return from CCR

Just download the forms from the IBA website and bring them with you. I am an "authorized" IBA signor so you will only need one signature though there will be plenty of folks who I'm sure will be happy to witness for you. Keep all your receipts and get a neighbor or local convenience store clerk to witness your ending odo, send in your money and wait for your certification. Unfortunately your route is not particularly conducive to an IBA ride but the secret is to limit your stops as much as you can and be efficient in your stops. If you get behind schedule or tired pack it in and be safe.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #3 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:28 am

Jeff has it right. Here is the same, with a few hints and extra details. For an SS1000, you don't need special witnesses. Anyone willing to share witness info (name, address, phone number, signature) will do.

The IBA website has instructions for an SS1000 here: http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ge...nt.cfm?DocID=1

Here is what you need for your ride:

1. Start witness form, with odometer reading. This can be completed and signed the night before.

2. Start receipt. Usually a gas station receipt. Make sure it has the correct location and time stamp! The time on the receipt is the start of your 24-hour clock.

(I once had to go to four different gas stations to get a good starting receipt. It cost me an hour in the morning, but that hour was off the clock.)

3. Receipts for each fuel stop. Check the date and time stamps on each one. If one is bad, try again from the attendant station, or get the clerk to initial the bad receipt for you. One or two bad receipts is okay, as long it isn't the start or end receipt.

Important: If you have a route where shortcuts are possible, be sure to get gas station receipts at the "corners" of your route to prove you rode it.
Important: Do not ride more than 350 miles between fuel stops.

Hint: I keep receipts in a small ziploc in the map pocket of my tank bag. I keep them in order front to back, to make it easier when I complete the application for the certificate.

4. Ride Log. At every fuel stop, and every stop longer than 20 minutes (rest, meal, etc.), make an entry in your log. Each entry must have the following: Date, Time and Time Zone, Location (city, state), and odometer reading at that location.

Hint: I use a medium size spiral-bound notebook and write the entries there. It is much easier than a printed sheet, and won't blow away. I keep it in the map pocket of my tank bag, with a pen inside the spiral. When I get home, I transcribe the entries to the official form.

5. Ending receipt. This stops the clock. Make sure the location and time stamp are correct.

6. End Witness Form: Any witness will do. If you get to your destination late in the evening, you can do the witness form in the morning the next day.

There is no time limit to submit the forms to the IBA, provided that they are all in good order.

post #4 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: IBA run on return from CCR

Hi Steve,

All good info for you to follow but above all else make it a safe ride. Start the ride after a good sleep. If you are a normal night sleeper get that same rest before your start. A big mistake made by many a rider is setting the arrival time and backing the start up to it. This is a recipe for at the very least a difficult ride.

If your receipts don't have the following: Place (City, Town, etc), Date, Time, Gallons go into the store and have the clerk print one off. This is very important and keep an accurate log of mileage (both odo and GPS if you use one) on the receipt. I circle the information now after the SPANK rally a couple weeks ago and my very first receipt was missing the town. If all else fails go to an ATM and get a balance receipt. The ATM receipt will mate up with an incomplete fuel receipt to put you in an approximate location on a day and time basis.

When you turn in your "copies" of the log and receipts they will want a map of your trip. I use a cheap map or a free one from AAA and cut it down to just the route I took. Mark the Start, Finish and the fuel stops with a highlighter and then the complete trip. Mail it in and wait. The time is running 3 to 6 months, at this time of year, before you will hear back. It is a small organization of people that certify these rides. Patience is the key here.

Above all, HAVE A SAFE and FUN ride.

I hope it works for you and you make it into the IBA database.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #5 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 5:55 am

TOO much paperwork!

Steve, good doings on your SS1000

See you in October.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #6 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 6:12 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I'm planning to do a SS1000 also on Saturday the 28 (first day going to Vt) but I do not care about any paperwork. It is enough for me that I know I did it.
BTW this will be my 2nd Iron Butt my first was on the first day of travel to CCR last year. Good luck Steve & as others have said keep stops to a minimum & your moving average speed above 65 MPH. I did 1007 miles in just under 16 hours to do mine.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 6:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I'm planning to do a SS1000 also on Saturday the 28 (first day going to Vt) but I do not care about any paperwork. It is enough for me that I know I did it.
BTW this will be my 2nd Iron Butt my first was on the first day of travel to CCR last year. Good luck Steve & as others have said keep stops to a minimum & your moving average speed above 65 MPH. I did 1007 miles in just under 16 hours to do mine.
Me and the wife did one coming back from Midway a few years ago with Joel (Tarheel Rider), made it to Nebraska City, Iowa the first night. There were no rooms in Lincoln!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #8 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 7:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Hey Steve, Do the math. 1100 miles / 24 hours is 46 MPH averge not 65 MPH.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #9 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 7:25 am Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff. I nearly had a SS1000 on the first trip to CCR Grand Teton. 976 miles from my house to Yukon, OK. Just wondering why you thought this route might not be a good one for SS1000?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #10 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Thanks Jeff. I nearly had a SS1000 on the first trip to CCR Grand Teton. 976 miles from my house to Yukon, OK. Just wondering why you thought this route might not be a good one for SS1000?
When I rode up for the spring meeting, I took I-81. A major portion of this road has a 65 mph speed limit and is loaded with truck traffic. Coming back I took the NY Thruway from Albany then the Garden State, to Delaware and Maryland Turnpikes basically following I95. This is stretch of I95 is known for heavy traffic year around and there is ALWAYS construction. Again several areas with a 65 mph speed limit.

From Atlanta if you headed west on say I20 toward Texas you would hit 70 mph speed limit them 75 mph in parts of Texas. As another example, the travel last year across I-90 was almost without traffic entirely and very easy to maintain a relatively high average speed without attracting undue attention from the LEO's. If I had to guess I would say the east coast corrider from VA to NY is probably the slowest average traffic speed in the US.

But hey whadoiknow.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #11 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff. I'm looking for wise counsel and I trust your judgment.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Last edited by Steve_R; Aug 26th, 2010 at 10:00 am. Reason: Cause I can't spell
post #12 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:03 pm

Quote:
I think Stevie is talking about the **moving** average. Subtract out the stops he made in those ~16 hours and he prolly did average over 63 - 65 mph. Granted, if you rode steady at 46mph, you could do the SS1000 in <24 hours - butt with no stops.

Butt regardless, all this math stuff will just show to go ya that time management is the key. I'm real rusty at that, since I've been off the long runs for the last coupla years. Figger this fall, I might git in a leetle practice and git up to speed on the stops, etc. And I'm like Stevie - only one I gotta impress is me, so I don't do the paperwork. Proud of those that do, tho - gives some folks incentive to stretch it out a bit and conquer the feats. Best of luck to ya, Rowe - I'll be lookin' for your ride report after you finish funnin' in VT!!!
post #13 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:30 pm
Ted

Quote:
I think he means while moving. In 2006, my then 13-year-old son and I completed a SS1000 from Southern California to Zion and back. It was 1,094 miles which we completed in 22 hours and 17 minutes. This is because we had to stop and call mama about every hour, otherwise mama wouldn't let him go! The 22+ hours included 5 hours 28 minutes of stops (about one hour for lunch, one hour in Zion, and another hour split between "dinner" and a rest before our final tank home). So the other approx 2.5 hours was gas, short rests and call mama.

So, 1,094 / 22:17 = 49.09 mph, and 1,094 / 16:49 = 65.31 mph

As you can see you'll have plenty of time barring any major delays. Most important thing is to stay hydrated, and at the 1st sign of fatigue, pull over and take a short power rest.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #14 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I think he means while moving. In 2006, my then 13-year-old son and I completed a SS1000 from Southern California to Zion and back. It was 1,094 miles which we completed in 22 hours and 17 minutes. This is because we had to stop and call mama about every hour, otherwise mama wouldn't let him go! The 22+ hours included 5 hours 28 minutes of stops (about one hour for lunch, one hour in Zion, and another hour split between "dinner" and a rest before our final tank home). So the other approx 2.5 hours was gas, short rests and call mama.

So, 1,094 / 22:17 = 49.09 mph, and 1,094 / 16:49 = 65.31 mph

As you can see you'll have plenty of time barring any major delays. Most important thing is to stay hydrated, and at the 1st sign of fatigue, pull over and take a short power rest.
A very useful gadget to have for long rides is a SPOT messenger with the tracking feature. Your family can track your progress on a website. The SPOT sends a tracking update every 10 minutes. If you are out of cellphone range you can use it to summon emergency aid in a life threatening situation. You can also buy a non-emergency roadside assistance policy, which summons ordinary non-emergency help at the touch of a button. See http://findmespot.com/
post #15 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Steve,
I did a SS1000 and a BB1500 on the way home from Rapid City last year. The beginning and ending witnesses can be anybody, but they can't be on the ride with you.

I had gotten gas Fri. night, so I'd be ready to go Sat. morning. I hadn't considered the IB ride until I was moving down the highway the next morning. I used my hotel check-out sheet as my start time. My first fuel stop, the pump didn't give a receipt and being dark-thirty, the station was closed. I noted the time and mileage, town, station name, interstate exit, etc. Somehow, I lost the second fuel receipt, but remembering to write everything down each time saved me. The IBA won't ding you if you loose a receipt, as long as you have everything written in your log and it's reasonable that you were where you said you were. OK, missing two receipts won't keep your ride from being certified.

One last thing. The IBA rides are not a race. No recognition for doing it the speediest. I read somewhere they used to to that, but stopped because of bad publicity and the name it brought to long-distance motorcycle touring. I read somewhere that they will pull the certification of a ride if they find out even years later that the ride was not done safely and they have done just that.

Good luck if you decide to attempt it on the trip home. East coast traffic is the worst. Maybe if you take a somewhat western route to stay away from the larger cities and congested areas, you just might be able to do it. Get lots of rest the night before. If you don't have a Camelback for water while moving, get one. Staying hydrated is a very good thing.

See you in a few days!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #16 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:37 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
A very useful gadget to have for long rides is a SPOT messenger with the tracking feature. Your family can track your progress on a website. The SPOT sends a tracking update every 10 minutes. If you are out of cellphone range you can use it to summon emergency aid in a life threatening situation. You can also buy a non-emergency roadside assistance policy, which summons ordinary non-emergency help at the touch of a button. See http://findmespot.com/
Thanks - I'm aware of the SPOT. Not sure if it existed in 2006. I do remember looking at it in April 2008 before going cross-country and they were still kind of pricey for what you got. Much better now and I will get one the next time I venture out.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

Last edited by Ted; Aug 27th, 2010 at 12:36 am.
post #17 of 19 Old Aug 27th, 2010, 5:45 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
I was talking 'bout "Moving" average speed & for me doing it in the Least amount of time was what i was trying to do.
This way I could get a good night sleep for the long ride on day 2. It was at least 165 miles the 2nd day

Stevie Shreeve
post #18 of 19 Old Aug 27th, 2010, 12:16 pm

I did an 800 mile day yesterday. I left Texarkana and went to Cincinnati and never hurried. I left at 8:30am and arrived at 11:30 but there is also a one hour time difference.
I had the cruse set for 72 in the 70 zone and 68 in the 65 zones. The best thing is to stop when you need to stretch and go when you need to go. I also do not eat big meals when I ride like that.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #19 of 19 Old Aug 27th, 2010, 5:26 pm
Enjoy The Ride

It shouldn't be a problem Steve. Last year I left Jay VT at 9:30 sunday morning & stopped at a auto parts store for about two hours to see if I could figure out why my bike was running so bad. At times it would only run about 55 mph & now and then it would run up to 70mph. I got to work at 6:30 am and rode 1,080 miles. Once I left VT I only shut the bike off once in CT to eat and call CharlieVT. If the bike had been running right it would have been easy.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in