Does ATGATT get in the way? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Question Does ATGATT get in the way?

I'm an ATGATT (I wear All The Gear, All The Time) subscriber, and have been for years. Problem is....I have often found myself NOT taking the bike because of the gear. Am I alone here? Am I just lazy? Some examples;
  • It's a lovely evening, and I'd like to take my wife out for dinner...and take the motorcycle. Problem is...we can't fit all of our gear in the trunk/side bags, and I'm not fond of waltzing into a fine restaurant and start dis-robing right there in front of the other clientele, and laying out our gear all around us. So we drive the cage.
  • I need to run to the store to get a gallon of milk....it's a nice day, and the bike would be the perfect option here, but once again....it's a pain in the backside to get all geared up for a drive that's less than 3 miles. So I drive the cage.
  • I ride the bike to work...and would love to slip out at lunchtime to go grab a bite to eat. Same thing. A real pain in the "keester" to get all geared up....drive 2 miles...dis-robe...eat lunch...get geared up again..and drive back.
  • We're out on the road...and would love to stop at a roadside trail and go for a hike to go checkout that great waterfall. It's too hot...so leaving the gear on is not really an option. No room in the bike's side/rear bags for all of our gear, so my choices are to remove the gear and leave it sitting there on the bike (inviting would-be theives), or skip the hike. So, we skip it.
I'm sure I can think of more (excuses). Maybe I'm just venting (and/or lazy...or both), but wondering if anybody else does this....skips riding the bike from time to time because of the inconveniences that the gear presents. Help me out fellas. Maybe just tell me to stop whining, and get on with it. Is there gear that folds up smaller? The stuff I have (with all the CE armor, etc) just doesn't fold up very small. Even my summer mesh gear is rather bulky. Then you add in a helmet and gloves..and it all takes up allot of real estate to pack it away.

I have some cycling buddies who don't wear all the gear (some none)..and sometimes, I can't help but be a bit jealous of that freedom. Don't get me wrong, I wear the gear for a reason....but I'm just sayin'.

Cheers,
Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 1:46 pm
Ted

Re: Does ATGATT get in the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Maybe I'm just venting (and/or lazy...or both), but wondering if anybody else does this....skips riding the bike from time to time because of the inconveniences that the gear presents.
Yes - I do the same thing - sometimes it's just not practical to take the bike. Even going to work - can I get by with helmet-hair today . But, the way I look at it is that it's sure nice to be able to have a choice!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Helmet Full-face and Half-cap freeway or side-street driving
Jacket several or none each set for the weather/Temp
Gloves several mostly cut down ones

I'm good to go I have never understood the reason to wear all the extra stuff been driving motorcycles for close to 40 years now and only one time did I have a Helmet save my life.

To each their own I guess I don't wear all the rest of the stuff because I ride the bike for the freedom it brings I don't drive to be as safe as humanely possible for that i take a car or bus

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
only one time did I have a Helmet save my life.
"Only" one time is all it takes!

I too sometimes skip riding the bike for quick jaunts to avoid having to get geared up. For quick trips (store and back, etc.) I just cage it.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #5 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 2:01 pm

I am a walking testament as to why a Helmet is a life saver and that you are a damn fool if you don't wear it

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #6 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
I'm an ATGATT (I wear All The Gear, All The Time) subscriber, and have been for years. Problem is....I have often found myself NOT taking the bike because of the gear. Am I alone here? Am I just lazy?
When I bought my first LT in 2001, it was a big purchase for my budget. I rationalized that it would be my primary vehicle. I gave my 98 Blazer to my son, and later bought a cheap pickup, but it gets about 12 mpg! So in the years I owned an LT, 2001 to 2008, I averaged 15k miles per year on her. If you are a dedicated rider, you will find a way to get around all of that stuff, and if you are not, take the cage.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #7 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Quote:
I am a walking testament as to why a Helmet is a life saver and that you are a damn fool if you don't wear it
Guess that make me a damn fool.
post #8 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 2:39 pm

In a perfect world, where all driver's are paying attention, roads are wide open without obstruction/construction, animals all behave themselves when they see you coming down the road and pedestrians are always watching out for their safety, there is no need to "gear up" before you take your scooter for a spin.

Heck, in a perfect world, there would be no reason to wear a helmet. After all, your skills would be second to none, the bike in perfect working order and your tires would never travel over anything that could make it loose pressure or grip.

Unfortunately, the Tommy Knockers (gremlins, ghosts in the machine, bad guys, things that go bump in the night) like the fact that this world is not perfect and they lie in wait for you to do one stupid thing so that they can jump up and bite you.

As was said before... one little slip... and the guy driving the red SUV, trying to get his cell phone to take the text he just entered, becomes a moving violation. That pedestrian that you think knows you are there, easily steps right into your path as your traffic direction gets the green light. The horned rat hiding in the bushes hears you coming down the road and his/her instinct for fight or flight takes the path of "darting across the open road". And the entrance to the local gas station has a nice new layer of spilled oil which looks like water in the glancing sun-light and water has never bothered you before.

Yep... ATGATT gets in the way... THANK-GOD!

"Late last night and the night before,
Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers, knocking at the door.
I want to go out, don't know if I can,
'Cause I'm so afraid of the Tommyknocker man."
Stephen King

"I know my date with the Grim Reaper is coming. I'm just gonna make it a bit harder for the bastard to get me!"
Uncle Mark

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #9 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 3:03 pm

For me I just am use to it, don't even think twice about it and is rarely an issue and since i would prefer to ride I accept whatever inconvienience there is. As far as take the wife out for a nice dinner, the cage is the better choice in most cases and is one of the few times I opt off the bike.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #10 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 3:15 pm

Yes the gear is a PITA but so are wheel chairs and crutches.

Is a small trailer like the Uni-Go an option?

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #11 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 3:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
When I bought my first LT in 2001, it was a big purchase for my budget. I rationalized that it would be my primary vehicle. I gave my 98 Blazer to my son, and later bought a cheap pickup, but it gets about 12 mpg! So in the years I owned an LT, 2001 to 2008, I averaged 15k miles per year on her. If you are a dedicated rider, you will find a way to get around all of that stuff, and if you are not, take the cage.
Well then put me in your "undedicated" category but also check the "I could care less" box. I agree with Toolman. I'm an ATGATT rider who often can't justify the hassle so I skip the bike in lieu of skipping the gear for certain trips. General errands, shopping, out for lunch, anywhere where suiting up is over 15% of the total journey I'm going to grab the car keys. I ride 12k a year in all weather and do all my own maintenance and just finished my clutch replacement. Everywhere but maybe this board I consider myself to be plenty "dedicated."

I'll have to admit, I might not be fully ATGATT. I wear ankle high boots that double as work dress shoes. It's a compromise on both sides. If I had to change boots along with everything else, the bike experience would probably cross the line become more hassle than joy to me for even commuting purposes.

If there are any good tips on minimizing the overhead associated with the gear, that would be some good insight we could get out of this thread. I started wearing my gear into work especially on hot or rainy days. On hot days, the suit and helmet just bake out there and putting them on is almost painful. On rainy days there is no better protection than the full suit. I often arrive at my desk dryer than if I'd taken the cage and tried to do the raincoat/umbrella thing. It helps at least putting on the pants in office to cut down on the standing in the parking lot wrestling the rest of the gear. The pants are also what tend to hit the ground while dressing and undressing.

In many ways I'm very envious of the riders like the one I saw this morning. 3/4 face white helmet with sunglasses, light polo shirt, dress pants and shoes and no gloves. Looked very comfy on his white Goldwing and probably parks at work next to the entrance, walks right into his first meeting, has a great day and is out of there within seconds after closing time. Weather is really nice for this kind of riding right now. I hope he never has to experience the need for anything else. But, "Boy, I couldn't live like that!"

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #12 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 3:23 pm

For me helmet is a must! The other stuff will depend on what type of riding I am doing. Just my .02

Dave Van Zee
Mulberry IN

'00 K1200LT (Current ride)
'96 Honda PC800 (past ride)
'84 Kawasaki 600 (past ride)
post #13 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Quote:
And I am a walking testament as to why ATGATT is a life saver and you are a damn fool if you don't wear it. Two weeks ago, a car pulled out in front of me on my way home from work. It was 95+ degrees and it wasn't convenient to wear all the gear but I did it anyway. As a result, I didn't break my hip. I didn't crush my shoulder. I didn't shatter my elbow. I didn't have a single scratch on my body, despite a hi-speed get off into road, gravel and into the woods. Best of all, my spine was not snapped when a 700 pound bike landed on my back which had armor that distributed the weight and caused only 3 stress fractures that will heal in 6 weeks.

ATGATT is a pain in the arse. Its not convenient. Its not comfortable. It is however, comforting. That's the point. I just hope you don't need it as bad as I did.
post #14 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Garage

When you need to walk across the street, do you cross only at the cross walk and then only when the cross walk light is lit? Or. Do you walk upto the street look both ways, then use your brain and make an intelligent informed decision.

Just my opinion, do what makes you comfortable.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #15 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 3:44 pm

Not to get into a pissing contest about wearing to much or to little gear like I said its a matter of choice my jackets are all padded and my opinion about helmets is just that an opinion. I've had my share of downed bikes believe me. I even have one sitting in the ocean ..don't ask btw glad you walked away from the accident been there done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109
And I am a walking testament as to why ATGATT is a life saver and you are a damn fool if you don't wear it. Two weeks ago, a car pulled out in front of me on my way home from work. It was 95+ degrees and it wasn't convenient to wear all the gear but I did it anyway. As a result, I didn't break my hip. I didn't crush my shoulder. I didn't shatter my elbow. I didn't have a single scratch on my body, despite a hi-speed get off into road, gravel and into the woods. Best of all, my spine was not snapped when a 700 pound bike landed on my back which had armor that distributed the weight and caused only 3 stress fractures that will heal in 6 weeks.

ATGATT is a pain in the arse. Its not convenient. Its not comfortable. It is however, comforting. That's the point. I just hope you don't need it as bad as I did.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #16 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109

David Hough, author of Proficient Motorcycling and safety speaker at many BMW rallies has a saying I like, pardon if the quote is not exact but you will get the idea. He say's something to the effect "when it's your turn to crash, what you are wearing that day is what you are wearing"

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
IBA # 8547
post #17 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 4:43 pm

People ask me ALL the time why I put all my stuff on all the time. all I ever say is Im so used to it I dont think about it. Just like getting in a car for me, and I ride 600 miles a week all the time. Not wearing helmet, Your choice, and I will defend that till death. we live in free country.
But my helmet has saved my life 3 times. After 40 yrs of riding I just dont think of anything different, I just do. PITA sure, but my wife likes me to come home every day. Buy good equipment, and its not too bad. In Florida, in summer, it SUCKS. But I do and live to ride another day.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #18 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 4:50 pm

I Will not leave the house without a Helmet.....Jacket is about a 90% it depends on how hot it is outside for that.....but always long sleeve,,,,,,always Gloves.....always atleasts jeans ...but about 50% riding pants.... longer rides i wear riding boots ..but around town ...jeans and tennis shoes jacket and helmet

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #19 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 5:24 pm

I don't wear ATGATT however I do wear STGMTT I always wear boots or riding shoes and gloves. Almost always I wear a riding jacket winter or summer. I also wear a helmet but sometimes I don't. As far as riding pants I usually only wear them on long trips. I'd never ride in shorts. To me that's just plain stupid. But there are those who will say I'm stupid for not wearing ATGATT. That being said what if you were to (on a quick trip to the store) wear the boots, gloves, helmet, and jacket. each of those are easy to put on and can be stowed quickly. Myself I wear the jacket into the store and only put the helmet and gloves in the trunk. Wearing the jacket shows I'm a rider and most stores have air so it's reasonably cool inside. I used to ride with just jeans and a t-shirt and sometimes gloves. Maybe in the future I might be an ATGATT person. But to answer your question yes ATGATT does get in the way, but that's a good thing. It will save your A$$. Wear what you think you need and ride. If it's too much of a PITA to put it all on take the cage.

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress
post #20 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 5:33 pm

I tend to take bike most places i bought the bmw oversuit its great 1 piece of kit & 1 helmet
i wear it to work most days & shirt & tie & suit underneath
post #21 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 5:42 pm

Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Boots minimum for me...Motorcycling is a convenience for me so anytime I'm riding I'm usually in full gear...I will take the bike on a service call when I'm sure that only my brain and little toolkit will be needed...

Mesh gear is not bad in the summer. It's actually cooler than without...

I just wear what I feel is safe for what I'm doing.. I know jeans are never really safe, But changing pants is probaby the most inconvenient thing about atgatt...

A 'Stitch over your work clothes packs up very small.. You could do that in all but the hottest weather, One zipper and you're out. change shoes if necessary and go to work...

My Motorcycle boots don't look bad with jeans at all...They'd probably look fine in dress clothes as well...Just give em a quick shine...

Doing what you want has always had consequences, Both good and bad...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #22 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 5:48 pm

I have experienced every scenario that you laid out, I I too sometimes get frustrated and tempted to go against my better judgement and forego some of my gear. Thus far, I have not yielded. I was in the hospital emergency room with my daughter last weekend (non-motorcycle related) and they wheeled a young man in with the left side of his face and left shoulder mangled, road rash all the way down the left side of his body. EMT's said he was in a motorcycle accident and was wearing no helmet or jacket; just a tee shirt and jeans. That image removed all considerations from my mind about anything less than ATTGAT when I get on my bike. It's just not worth it.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #23 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 6:06 pm

I'm an ATGATT guy. The last time I went without a helmet was on my Goldwing seven years ago because it was a beautiful night and I thought I would enjoy the ride more. I rode about 1/2 mile pulled over and put my helmet on. I felt too vulnerable. Haven't ridden without proper gear since despite the hassle.

Living in Chicago, I am further disincented to ride short local rides without proper gear because of the traffic. As a result, the only local riding I do is to get out of town. Most of my rides are of the long distance varieties where the LT shines.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #24 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Depends upon your gear. My Olympia gear is a pain to get on/off I would not use it for quick on/off unless I planned to wear the pants as my only pants not overpants.

Aerostich roadcrafter one piece goes on and off in seconds. 4 foot cable can go through suit(s) sleeves and helmets to plop them on the seat and lock them to the side case handle.

Bohn armor under Sliders or Draggin jeans with a decent jacket works, I do this frequently it is comfortable to leave on and provides very good protection.

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
post #25 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 6:49 pm

I'll take the cage for the short errands........it would appear I forgot to check the 'Organ Donor' box on my drivers licence...........I have been accused of having looked like I just rode in from Florida when I checked the mail a time or two, so I now take the cage..........shucks, short halls on the LT just make a fellow feel some how incomplete any way..............
post #26 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpond
Depends upon your gear. My Olympia gear is a pain to get on/off I would not use it for quick on/off unless I planned to wear the pants as my only pants not overpants.

Aerostich roadcrafter one piece goes on and off in seconds. 4 foot cable can go through suit(s) sleeves and helmets to plop them on the seat and lock them to the side case handle.

Bohn armor under Sliders or Draggin jeans with a decent jacket works, I do this frequently it is comfortable to leave on and provides very good protection.
I do very much the same thing with the cable lock. I have the Darien Pants and Jacket. Unfortunately the Darien pants have no closed loop to put the cable through so now I have one of those steel cable mesh bags I lock to the bike with my gear and helmet in if I have the bags packed up and I can't carry my stuff with me. I like the bag because it keeps everything out of sight better even under the half cover I have.

Dan

;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
post #27 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 7:07 pm

ATTGATT. I keep extra sandals and shoes at the office to change into depending on pants or shorts.

It has been unreasonably hot this summer with the gear, but as they say, It is better to sweat than bleed.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #28 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Helmet, jacket, gloves, and long pants with over-the-ankle boots; chaps/riding pants to and from home but long pants when riding from one hangar to the other. I signed an agreement with DPS when I became a rider coach to wear ATGATT; not a commitment or compromise, just an agreement.

I simply can't imagine riding without the basic 6.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #29 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 7:27 pm

The only time I consider not going ATGATT is when I get up late to go to work. I have a little extra incentive to ride instead of driving in because my pickup has a boat on top so the only place I can legally park at the hospital is in the employee lot which is 145 miles from the front door. (It really is a long way out there)

The bike goes in the lighted parking structure 50 feet from the side door.

Easy call. Hello gear, hello bike!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #30 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 7:57 pm

I've been a daily rider for many years. I too understand it's a hassle getting in and out of gear just to ride short trips. I ride to work which is only about a 20 mile round trip. Developing a routine is key to solving this issue. I won't sacrifice my safety for comfort and I'm a firm believer in ATGATT.

I don't know what kind of apparel you have but a 1 piece Aerostich suit would be mighty convenient. I have a work buddy who also rides his LT daily. He wears a 1 piece and it takes him all of about 2 minutes to be fully in with helmet on, ready to ride.

Good advice has already been offered. If the trip's too short, take the car...

10 R1200RT ostra grey (current)
09 Suzuki Vstrom650A (sold)
02 K1200LTC (sold)
92 R100R (sold, wish I still had it)
75 Yamaha DT250
70"s Kawasaki 100
post #31 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 8:24 pm

From NJ to NH, VT, NY or PA... T-shirt, jeans (or shorts), boots (if wearing jeans).

No helmet in states that allow for not wearing it. Wish I didn't have to wear it in NJ and wife feels the same.

I believe in God, or a creator, or even fate and when your time is up, it's up. There are countless stories of people who are in horrific plane, train or automobile crashes that should have left them dead or worse, and yet, they walk away. Then you hear the stories about the unfortunate fool who is standing in the wrong place, at the wrong time, or simply has a heart attack or embolism or something and drops right on the spot.

The worst I ever did... Shorts, t-shirt, sandals and rip-roaring down Route 100 in Vermont, all the way to North Adams, MA and then down the Taconic Parkway, Pallisades and on home.... while listening to opera and smoking a cigar of course, lol.

Yes, protection is great, but we tend to get a chuckle at people with zippers up to their necks in 100+ heat... It looks like it takes the fun out of driving a motorcycle and feeling anything?

What's the saying? Oh yeah, "Ride your ride..." No wrong or right on this subject...

post #32 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Sit

#1 - going out to dinner, how about some of the kevlar jeans or cargo style pants, either alone or with something like Bohn armour under neath. That way all you have to do is fit the helmets and maybe the jackets into the side cases.

#2 - Same thing. I run to the store all the time on my LT for a quick shopping trip. Put on the kevlar jeans, go shopping and then some time later during the evening I will change out of the jeans to reg jeans.

#3 - Can't help about lunch at work, I take my lunch, walk to a nearby eatery or take a company car.

#4 - As for the hike, We have done this for beach day trips. Wear jean shorts under the over pants and then store as much stuff as we can in the cases and then lock the jackets with a cable lock to the bike. Or my current overpants can convert into shorts, so would just have to store the jacket and loose the boots.

As for the parent question, does ATGATT get in the way? I sure hope it does!! As long as it gets in the way of the road doing damage to me all is good.
post #33 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 8:54 pm

I got to thinking about this while working on my MGB today. I have to say first, that I agree with Jack Conner. I love riding without a helmet, and would were it not a law here in Liberalville (Oregon).
What might be interesting is to hear from the ATGATT folks: would you support a law requiring riding gear, same as helmets? Maybe a poll?

I don't believe in helmet laws. I think it should be my choice. I do believe in requiring it for kids - you pick an age. Maybe even riding gear for them, but my choice as an adult.
post #34 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
What might be interesting is to hear from the ATGATT folks: would you support a law requiring riding gear, same as helmets?
I'm an ATGATT guy who who doesn't think any laws are required for me to minimize the risks of riding a motorcycle.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #35 of 65 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
What might be interesting is to hear from the ATGATT folks: would you support a law requiring riding gear, same as helmets? Maybe a poll?
This is going to take the thread to the crapper. It probably does not have much to do with me being an ATGATT person. Whether you support a law like that depends on whether you are one of those, "It's my life, I'll do what I want" or "When your number comes up ..." types or not.
I'm not one of those. While I don't need someone to tell me how to protect myself, apparently there are a bunch of folks that do need the help. While they complain about all the members of society sucking off the public dole, they have no problem contributing to the suckage by putting themselves at added risk. They turn fender benders into injury accidents, get-offs with a little road rash into facial reconstructive surgery and minor accidents into wrongful death lawsuits. They just can't see that there is more at risk than themselves. I don't get it. I know there are those that agree with this, and those that don't, and others that complicate it a bunch with the "gear puts me at greater risk" stuff.

My opinion. You are certainly entitled to yours. The arguments are all over this and many other boards.

Of course there is also the tack that says laws really don't do anything. Case in point - the no cell phone law in California. That maybe scared people for a couple of years, but now I pass folks everyday with the phone blatantly stuck to their ear going way too slow in the number one lane and changing lanes right into me all the way home. For a law to work, it has to be enforced. I think a gear law would be enforceable due to the visibility of it but then again I've been in debates here with LEO's that won't even enforce STOP signs consistently.

That question is loaded with several hot topics that have been run into the ground, but since I've yet to chime in on those ...

I wish you all a great (and safe) ride tomorrow, however you do it!

Dan

;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
post #36 of 65 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

ATGATT, like having sex, is like a condom. The consequesces of either activity without protection can go from pleasure to pain/dispair the instant you start. I'm just sayin', and I use all of the protection I can get all of the time; now don't rat me out to my SO. Just kiddin' on that point...

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #37 of 65 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 6:23 am

I agree with most of the posts, I think it is YOUR choice to wear or not to wear!

Before I owned a BMW scoot and before I joined this Forum, the only thing I wore was a helmet and that was only because I had to,

Now, with the ATTGAT nonsense, the only time I hop on and ride is if it is an all day trip or something.

But, to each his own to do the ATTGAT or NO-ATTGAT!

For those going to CCR, you will most certainly need the ATTGAT!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #38 of 65 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 8:38 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Yes I have taken the car instead of the bike because of getting geared up.

I have learned to incorporate store and running for stuff with my rides though.

Your choice on the ATGATT.

I have had a recent experience that has proven to me it saves lives. Mine for sure!

I made a concession that fatal day. Instead of wearing my full face I wore a half because of the heat as it was miserable. After finally seeing the helmet again it is clear I would not have lived without it, but I believe I would not have had 18 stitches from my glasses and I think my neck would not have got broken in the full face.

Very clear the the half helmet did it's job to the best of it's ability. However I will never wear a half helmet again.

So in answer to the OP question yes I have not ridden the bike because of getting geared up.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #39 of 65 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:54 am

Yeah, I've taken the car because gearing up was a hassle. However, my determining factor as to bike or cage is based on distance and load. 2 mile round trip for pizza - cage. Picking up a 17 foot canoe - truck. Blowing 3 feet of snow from a 3/4 mile long driveway - Honda tractor with 42" blower. Riding the BMW to school every day - priceless.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #40 of 65 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 3:54 pm

The answer to the original question--"yes I have chosen not to take the LT because of the gear...happens all the time."

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #41 of 65 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Gearing up never stops me from riding. Snow and ice on the road does stop me. When I was younger I would occasionally ride with out a helmet. In my adult years, I never ride with out helmet, gloves, long pants, and boots. I seldom ride with out my mesh, armored jacket in town. If I am heading out the canyons or down the highway, I always wear my full gear.

For me, wearing a helmet or a seatbelt is not something I debate in my own head. When I see people leave accident scenes in body bags when they should have walked away, it settles the issue for me.

I just do what I need to meet my level of comfort. I got a helmet liner, a cool vest, mesh gear, beaded seat cover. Keeps me cool enough to ride.

John

2002 K1200LT
post #42 of 65 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 9:39 pm

We, too, are ATGATT. Saved my butt when the truck attacked my other LT. On the LT or RT suit goes in the side case, helmet in trunk. When two-up, she gets the other side bag for her suit, helmets are cabled on the seat. Not interested in what I would have looked like without gear.

JMNSHO

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #43 of 65 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:12 pm

I was against helmet laws 40 years ago and am still against them. However, I am a firm believer in ATGATT for me. I had hearing loss in my early 30s caused by riding without earplugs and often without a helmet. I have had a few get offs in 53 years of riding and doubt that any of them would have been fatal without a helmet or other gear. However, while I am not afraid to die I don't enjoy pain.

For those of you who choose to ride without the gear, you might want to Google Images on "motorycle injuries". Be prepared though, not for the squeamish.

1999 BMW K1200LT
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #44 of 65 Old Aug 27th, 2010, 9:03 am

I never understand these threads...

I have tremendous respect for people who are of the "ATGATT" mentality.

A have a difficult time with those who take a "holier than thou" or even insulting tone towards anyone who chooses a different route.

Motorcycling is a high-risk activity, period. You can buy a new Goldwing with an airbag, get the Dianese airbag leathers, go full-blown racegear, only ride in the daytime, have a full pit crew inspect your bike before every ride, never go above the speed limit, attend rider training weekly and still get wiped out ten feet from your driveway. We ALL know that.

If someone chooses not to wear a helmet once in a while, or doesn't wear a jacket because the choice comes down to "don't ride this weekend because it's too hot for a jacket OR ride without one" and riding is one of the few things that gives them true joy, then so what? Why blast them?

Here's the thing, and I've posted this before...

If you REALLY think you're "ATGATT" I bet you're not.

Unless you have a FULL face helmet, properly fitted and secure, you're not.
Unless you have gauntlet gloves (not short gloves) with extra protection for the scaphoid bone and tested for abrasion resistance on the palms, you're not.
Unless you have a SECURED jacket with CE-rated armor on the elbows, shoulders and spine, you're not.
Unless you have boots with external bracing that protects the ankles from supination and impact, plus protects the toes and heels AND shins, you're not.
Unless you have pants with CT-rated armor on the hips, knees, thighs and shins with tested seams and limited zippers--pants that are leather or equivalent and have been tested for impact and abrasion,--pants that SECURE to your jacket-- then you're not.

Now, if you have all of that, and wear it each and every time you ride, then I guess you can preach and even make disparaging comments about others who don't.

If you don't, then you REALLY need to take a long look around your glass house before you stand up on your soap box about riding safety and berate others about what they should and shouldn't do.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #45 of 65 Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:23 am

Agree and have said it before. Unless you are in full customized racing gear setup, whatever you are wearing is a compromise. I can't tolerate people who make general statements about someone's mental capaity based on whether they do as you do. Next we'll have folks say if you don't wear BMW gear, you're an idiot. Lemmings come in all flavors.

And to answer the question, yes, sometimes I have elected the cage because of the convenience factor and the time to gear up. And I, too, have regretteed not taking a longer hike at some points of interest because of the gear, and the effort to undress and stow, etc. One tip for this- a rain cover (I use the half cover) works well for things besides rain. I have used it to keep the extreme heat off the sadlle and to hide the gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke

A have a difficult time with those who take a "holier than thou" or even insulting tone towards anyone who chooses a different route.

Motorcycling is a high-risk activity, period. You can buy a new Goldwing with an airbag, get the Dianese airbag leathers, go full-blown racegear, only ride in the daytime, have a full pit crew inspect your bike before every ride, never go above the speed limit, attend rider training weekly and still get wiped out ten feet from your driveway. We ALL know that.

If someone chooses not to wear a helmet once in a while, or doesn't wear a jacket because the choice comes down to "don't ride this weekend because it's too hot for a jacket OR ride without one" and riding is one of the few things that gives them true joy, then so what? Why blast them?

Unless you have gauntlet gloves (not short gloves) with extra protection for the scaphoid bone and tested for abrasion resistance on the palms, you're not.
Unless you have a SECURED jacket with CE-rated armor on the elbows, shoulders and spine, you're not.
Unless you have boots with external bracing that protects the ankles from supination and impact, plus protects the toes and heels AND shins, you're not.
Unless you have pants with CT-rated armor on the hips, knees, thighs and shins with tested seams and limited zippers--pants that are leather or equivalent and have been tested for impact and abrasion,--pants that SECURE to your jacket-- then you're not.

Now, if you have all of that, and wear it each and every time you ride, then I guess you can preach and even make disparaging comments about others who don't.

If you don't, then you REALLY need to take a long look around your glass house before you stand up on your soap box about riding safety and berate others about what they should and shouldn't do.

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #46 of 65 Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke

I agree with you in that if one chooses not to wear protective gear for whatever reason, that is their choice and do not deserved to be preached to. I also agree unless the helmet worn is properly fitted and secured, technically you are not ATGATT. The other gear you mention, while my gear generally falls into what you mention as correct, the less acceptable versions are still better than none at all.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
IBA # 8547
post #47 of 65 Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
I agree with you in that if one chooses not to wear protective gear for whatever reason, that is their choice and do not deserved to be preached to. I also agree unless the helmet worn is properly fitted and secured, technically you are not ATGATT. The other gear you mention, while my gear generally falls into what you mention as correct, the less acceptable versions are still better than none at all.

Generally true.

First off, you're NOT the target of my comments...as your posts don't disparage anyone who doesn't wear "all the gear, absolutely all of the time" which I applaud you for.

I've seen fatal motorcycle accident scenes where riders bled out because they had crappy (or no) gloves on, and when they took an unexpected dismount and tried to break their fall, ground down their palms and wrists. How many of the people who are quick to lambaste others for not wearing a helmet or jacket wear flimsy gloves, or half-gloves?

Secondary-impact injuries from half-helmets that slip or shift off of the rider's head are so frequent, they almost make them worthless, yet a significant percentage of this forum's membership wear them.

Lots of "mesh" jackets would actually be worthless in a get-off accident after 10 feet--they'd disintegrate like a ruptured feather pillow, or melt into road-rashed skin. Even the ones that are advertised as "kevlar mesh" aren't pure kevlar and multi-layer, and the seams are weak (I know, I have two of them), a 200-pound rider hitting pavement at 60 mph would shred them. Yes, it would offer SOME better protection than a T-shirt, but nothing compared to armored leather. Yet many people on this forum and others seem to think that whipping on that Joe rocket Phoenix or Rev-It jacket makes them invincible.

Not to mention that most of us like to install and use things that are DESIGNED to distract us...from the radios to the cd-players to the GPS systems to the BMW Cupholders (I still don't get that one) to the biggest distraction ever...spouses on the back!

One of my brain surgeries left me with problems regulating body temperature. As a result, I have lots of problems above 90 degrees or below 40 degrees. And I live in Texas...go figure. So that means either I view 6 months a year as "un-rideable" or I have to figure out other options. Sometimes that means I don't wear a jacket. Should I give up riding because that's the decision I make? I hope not.

I guess my main point is "don't slam others if their choice is different than yours, please."

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #48 of 65 Old Aug 27th, 2010, 12:11 pm

Wow...good arguments for both sides of the camp. I am another one who will wear MOST of the gear all the time. I do ride in just jeans (no, not just jeans!!!) with boots, gloves, jacket and helmet but most of the time I have on a pair of shorts and tennis shoes and I want to go to the store for something. Instead of putting on jeans and boots, I jump in the car. I even find myself taking the bike less and less because I do not want to change clothes to go around the block.

Being in the land of "glad I had the gear and helmet on" once already, I cant even feel comfortable riding from the gas pump to the front of the store without slipping my helmet and gloves on.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #49 of 65 Old Aug 27th, 2010, 12:20 pm

Mesh gear is a LOT better than no gear. Its also a lot better than most people realize. My recent get-off was at a pretty good rate of speed (60ish). I hit pavement, then gravel then woods. There was not a single tear. No seams failed. My gloves were scuffed on the palm but didn't come off nor fail (BMW Summer 2 which are wrist length). The knee and hip armor prevented all but a minor bruise. The jacket did not ride up in spite of it not being zipped to the pants (3/4 length and a good pack protector keeps it in place). The shoulder and elbow armor did its job as well. My BMW all-around boots meant I felt pressure on my ankles and shin but sustained no damage.

A 700 pound bike landed on my back and pinned me in a folded position. Were it not for the back armor, my spine would have been severed.

It was a horrendous crash. Every single piece of gear took a hit. Every single piece of gear held up. Had it not been cut from my body, the jacket and pants would still be usable after a good washing. The only injuries sustained were a pulled deltoid muscle (which hurts like I can't describe even after 18 days) and 3 compression fractures in the T5 7 and 8.

So yes, I do have some opinions about ATGATT. You are free to do what you will. I am also free to think you are out of your flippin' mind if you don't ride without at least a jacket, pants, boots, full helmet and gloves.

post #50 of 65 Old Aug 27th, 2010, 1:51 pm

Well, looks like we've got this all settled, so on to bigger and better things.
Does anyone know where I can get a pair of Harley authorized riding flip-flops? Need to get a new pair for this weekend's ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in