Two close calls... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

Two close calls...

Driving 20 miles into town this morning to top off with gas in preparation for our big week out in Colorado when I saw a Semi heading in my direction entering into a curve--I also just caught the rear of a little hatchback passing him in the no passing zone...there was no way this guy could have even seen my approach. I immediatly hit the brakes and pulled to the edge of the roadway at which point now I'm barely at a crawl as the semi and the dufus begin to straighten out on the curve--the look on dufus' face was one of astonishment. So, I gave him a hand salute to let him know what I estimated his I.Q. to be! If I hadn't seen this joker we would have both had one big surprise and I probably would not have liked the outcome.

Close call number two was my bad...topping the fluids off--I inadvertantly overfilled the oil and after draining some out I forgot to tighten the oil pan bolt...was putting some last minute items in the bike tonight and noticed a few drops of engine oil on the floor...that's when I discovered my mistake--could have ruined a good vacation...

Now, they say things like this come in three's...if there is another close call...I'll let you know. Now, I need to hit the hay and get out early to beat the heat.

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Re: Two close calls...

Take a deep breath Wade! Take a little sumthin' to help you falls asleep and when you wake up you will be all fresh and ready to go!

Have a great trip!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 7th, 2010, 1:31 am

Hey, Wade - no worries on #3; I gotcher back. Left the Kafffee Klatch at *$$ this morning and headed to the grocery store to pick up some 'supplies'. Nearly empty parking lot, butt since I'm in the '67 Goat, decided to park way down near the back of the lot; no door-bangers that way. I'm about to enter the store when I hear "Aw, chit!!" behind me. Turn around and I see this employee trying to stop a hunnert mile long line of shopping carts!! Sheesh - he's got in front of the 'freight train' and gradually slowing it down, butt one of 'em has gotten loose and heading DOWN to the back of the lot. I decided that there's no way I can run fast enough to catch it - he can't turn loose the 'freight train' - so both of us watch the cart bounce headlong toward the Goat!! About to broadside it, the cart's wheels musta gone into tank-slapper mode and it shakes and nearly does a tipover as it misses the front bumper by inches!! I reckon it took me a coupla minutes to remember what 'supplies' I'm 'posed to pick up!

So - Wade, have a safe trip to CO and don't worry about close calls in threes! Already happened!

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 7th, 2010, 6:13 am

Good on you Dick for covering #3 for Wade. It takes a great man with a lot of heart to put his classic automobile in harms way for a fellow forum member

Bless you for your compassion!

Loren

BTW. Are you freakin nuts? Park that thing on the uphill outskirts of the parking lot! Oh! Texas. Ummmm

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #5 of 12 Old Aug 7th, 2010, 7:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Good on you Dick for covering #3 for Wade. It takes a great man with a lot of heart to put his classic automobile in harms way for a fellow forum member

Bless you for your compassion!

Loren

BTW. Are you freakin nuts? Park that thing on the uphill outskirts of the parking lot! Oh! Texas. Ummmm
BTDT, Loren. Don't do that no more, cuz that's where all the .... uhh .... upper age folks park!! Maybe I'm just anal about caring for ole Goat, butt you just know, one of 'em is gonna park shoulder to shoulder whilst I'm picking up 'supplies'!!
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 7th, 2010, 7:52 am

Aint it the truth! That's the cross you have to bear for driving sumpin nice I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
BTDT, Loren. Don't do that no more, cuz that's where all the .... uhh .... upper age folks park!! Maybe I'm just anal about caring for ole Goat, butt you just know, one of 'em is gonna park shoulder to shoulder whilst I'm picking up 'supplies'!!

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #7 of 12 Old Aug 7th, 2010, 8:22 am

Wade and Dick, Y-all seem to be living RIGHT. You made it through guys, don't even think about 3rds. Enjoy your weekend.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 7th, 2010, 9:33 am

Moments like that are not good for body and soul other than to come out of it saying, "I'm still here." I wouldn't worry too much about #3, but I'd still keep my eyes open, just in case.

illigitimi non carborundum

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #9 of 12 Old Aug 8th, 2010, 2:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I don't know about things like this come in three's , But a few weeks ago I had an interesting ride on the way home from the after the Saginaw Valley BMW Riders , breakfast ride . I was south bound on I-75 just south of the Zilwaukee bridge . I was running along around 70MPH on my '10 Adventure , in the middle lane . I was around 100 feet behind a truck that was in the right lane . It was an 45 Yard asphalt truck , The kind of trucks they use when they are paving roads .

There was a big bang ,and a cloud of what looked like dust or smoke come out of the truck on the passenger side . The truck came over to the left a foot or two , & I started looking for parts of flying tire . I looked over to the left lane , & it was clear . So I moved as far left as I could . The truck moved back into the center of his lane , & I thought he blown a tire ...but he has it under control . He got on the brakes , & was moving over to the shoulder of the road . That lasted around 1 .5 seconds , then he went hard right into the guard rail ... Quite a sight ... I think he blown the front right tire , & when the tire left the wheel he had no control . It was all in slow motion , it took probably 5 or 6 seconds from the big bang in tell he was plowing guard rail .

So the exit for M-81 is right there , & I'm thinking ...me no likie this I-75 thing . So I jump off there . I got on the M-81 bridge over I-75 , & I can't see the truck . turns out the truck rolled over , & dumped its load of asphalt in the ditch . They had I-75 shut down for a few hours cleaning up the mess .... that was enough excitement for the day ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #10 of 12 Old Aug 8th, 2010, 3:52 pm

I turned this post into a "First Bike" article for BMWMOA magazine (Sept. 2009):

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17113
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 15th, 2010, 12:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Well, even though Dick's heart was in the right place...I guess you can't cover #3 when it comes to close calls. Although I deeply thank Dick for his attempt.

We left early last Saturday morning to get a good start and beat the brutal heat we have been having--about two hours into the ride suddenly a doe and her fawn jumped from some roadside trees and heavy vegetation. I was daydreaming and it seemed like it took me forever to react. I applied both front and rear brakes so hard that my wife who was staring to our right slammed her helmet into the back of mine...due to my previous training as a State Trooper...I immediately released the brakes to regain steering and control...although I never lost control due to the ABS (I guess old habits are hard to stop).

The Doe and Bambi bolted into the other ditch and scampered away--while I proclaimed over the Autocom..."I'm free--that was three...now, we can have a great trip!" Of course, my wife who had no idea what I was talking about...thought she just gave me a concussion with her head butt!

After that event the rest of the trip was awesome--we hid ourselves in the mountians and the average temps were about 72 degrees!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #12 of 12 Old Aug 15th, 2010, 12:31 pm

I had one about a week ago. Heading home on a very familiar road I was entering a long sweeping turn that you can't quite see the entrance to from the other end. I was running about 65, and there was a bicyclist coming from the other way. He was staying on the inside white line of his lane like he should, but this young woman coming up from behind him pulled clear into my lane on the curve to pass him. When she saw me she edged over just a little instead of pulling back into her lane as she had not yet caught up to the bicycle. We may have had a foot between mirrors when we passed each other. And yes I gave her the salute.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in