Huge not of gratitude to John Bowles and the LT family - long post - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 8:11 am Thread Starter

Huge note of gratitude to John Bowles and the LT family - long post

I am posting this here so hopefuly the most ppl will see it. I owe John Bowles a HUGE debt of gratitude that I hope to be able to repay someday. And thanks to the LT family for giving me the opportunity to meet John a couple years ago so that things worked out like they did.

My wife & I left Friday july 30 on a four hour trip to Franklin NC for a state motorcycle instructor update. Halfway there, at a gas stop (FORTUNATELY), the valve stem came apart on the rear tire of the LT. A cashier at Love's truckstop at exit 86 on I 40 generously let me use her phone with internet connection to look up John Bowles on here. That was very nice of her.

We got that fixed before John got home so we were on our way after a four hour layover. IF you need some basic help in the Marion NC area - Jeff at TITAN CYCLES is a great guy. He has a little repair shop back in the woods and was able to fix the valve stem. He only charged me $26 to come get me and tire, go fix it at his place, and return me safely to the truckstop. That's the short version. It took us over an hour to get the tire to seat on the wheel. (!) He said that was the meanest, stiffest tire he's ever had to fix. THe tire was fine, just the changing part.

So anyway, apparently I compromised the tire during this stop. The tire lost a weight, and we replaced it with one similar in the same place. After we got back on the road, I had a little vibration that I figure was the new weight not being perfect.

We did our trip and were returning home Sunday when the sidewall let go completely. I was able to call John and arrange to meet up with him. He offered to swap wheel/tire from his bike so we could get home. He had a new tire but no way to change it. Another instructor, Maurice Robinson of Rocky Mount NC - I owe him too - had brough his Gold Wing up on a trailer and offered to tow my LT to John's house. So I got to ride his 96 wing for two hours - NICE but that's a whole other comparo. John had my tire swapped fro his before Maurice could get his wing reloaded!

Talk about BLESSINGS and GENEROSITY! This whole weekend could have been so much worse, but due to the generosity of the biker family as a whole, as well as the NC motorcycle safety program's instructor corps and front office, and the BMWLT.com family, my wife and were able to get home safely. I could not have made it without all of these folks.

I hope John can shed some light on WHY the tire blew out after he gets it off the rim today.

This family here is awesome. Thanks to all of you for all you have helped me with over the past three years. IF I CAN EVER HELP YOU, especially in the NW NC area, please look me up and call or whatever. I feel like I must pay this one forward.

Randy Carlisle

Last edited by rando; Aug 2nd, 2010 at 8:26 am. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 9:39 am

Re: Huge not of gratitude to John Bowles and the LT family - long post

Glad you guys made it home without further delay. Thank you very much for the recognition of a very small effort on my part. That is what this and the motorcycling community is all about in general. The rest of the world would do well to take notice.

I'll be getting that tire changed tomorrow. The shop is closed today. Will advise if there is any thing to add to the failure point.

See ya around,

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:04 am Thread Starter

Re: Huge NOTE of gratitude to John Bowles and the LT family - long post

I hope the admins can fix my title from a HUGE NOT to a HUGE NOTE. I have asked if they can...

It may have been a small effort due to how easy the tire is to remove. But it was a huge thing to us. I'm not sure it would have occurred to me to offer to swap out like that. But that worked perfectly.

And the suggestion to "cut the corner" was also a great way to get from your place to mine in close to the same time. And stay off that INterstate. I 40 from Statesville to Asheville is oneof the most boring things I've ever been on. But using your suggestion plus our old cut thru on hwy 268 from 421 to Elkin made it quite pleasant.

You just have no idea how thankful I am to you. And Maurice. And so on. Heck one of the guys that stopped to help me and was behind us had a flat about 20 miles after we did and they were stuck in Asheville overnight. Another guy got a rock kicked up into his nose. So we had the best "luck"? : )

And yes I hope there is some kind of evidence of why it failed.

THANKS again and again and again.

Randy

Last edited by rando; Aug 2nd, 2010 at 10:05 am. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in