LAF Bad JuJu/ New Bike thoughts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 5:31 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

LAF Bad JuJu/ New Bike thoughts

Ok guys having totaled my 07 I am needing a new bike.

Since I have worn the LT t-shirt for 30,000 miles I think I want to try a Gold Wing. I can get a new Red 10, NAV/ABS 18,800.

I am not sure what to do though.

I do want a BMW but don't want to ride(spend replacement money) an LT for two more years until the new platform is out and readily available.

I also am very curious about the Wing/LT debate/comparison.

Since it is going to be a minimal difference out of pocket anyway I am thinking I should be able to get about as much from the Wing in two years as I would a 08 or 09 LT.

So what do you guys think?

Am I logical in thinking that insurance money on the LT will be close to what I would get for it selling outright in today's market? Only reason on that is I have dollar for dollar on aftermarket parts up to 4 K.

Will it be easier to get the money out of a Wing compared to a LT in 2 years?

Just open to thoughts on best use of money knowing I want a new GTL down the road but also want to see the Wing on my lift for a bit?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 6:35 pm

Re: LAF Bad JuJu/ New Bike thoughts

I'm all for trying something new, 'specially if you're curious.
Having said that, can you pick up a good used LT that'll last two years, then sell for nearly what you paid for it?
I too am curious about the new GW (had an old one), but just can't picture myself on one.
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 6:35 pm

Hi, Lee -

Quick thread ref - Tracus' excellent report. Didn't like the story line - loved the ending tho!! Be well, and soon.

Don't put a lot of stock in my input to your 'changing of the scoot' thoughts, butt were it me (with a lotta factors that are wishful thinking) with ole Toad down for the count and I'm looking for either interim rides or waiting, I would look for either a great deal on an FJR AE and farkle it up just a tiny bit, while waiting on the GTL, or I might take a look at that new Honda Sport Tourer. The FJR has had a long run, while the Honda is maybe a coupla years (or less?). Anyway, that's me while not in your shoes, butt given the situation, my first thoughts go to the FJR.

Best of luck on whatever path you take Lee - hope you get a lot of great advice and suggestions from the community, and heal soundly and quickly to take advantage of end of season riding.

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 7:32 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I'm glad to see your home & on the way to recovery Lee . I got my LT as a surprize gift from my wife & it's the only touring bike I have ever rode. Although I love my LT I would never get another touring bike without riding it for at least 500 miles straight or about two tanks of gas. I've rode over 60,000 miles on mine in the last two years & I think a 500 mile ride would tell me everything I need to know about my next purchase.

I hope even though your unemployed you still have some kind of medical insurance. It's bad enough figuring out the bills with insurance let alone without.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 8:29 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Yes to medical I am paying my own COBRA. Seemed pretty expensive until I woke up in the Bad Lands about 11 days ago.

I am with you on a 500 mile ride but I would need to rent to find out for that distance. I rode a 07 Wing but for a pretty short time, but long enough to know it was fine fit wise. I have little doubt as to fit and finish as I have seen a bunch.

I probably am asking a question that no one can answer but me, but was looking for others thoughts also.

I just think that rather then invest into something I know already, and am pretty sure is still going to depreciate further. Why not satisfy an itch and improve the trade in value I might have when the GTL shows up.

I think a 2010 Wing is going to be worth more in 2 years then a 07-09 LT.

I also am toying with maybe a RT to hold me over and look at the weight differences pretty hard compared to the LT/Wing.

Bottom line it the Wing is the only bike I consider to be in the same Planet as an LT so to know the answer there would be a nice way to spend insurance money.

Also if the right 07-09 LT showed up under the insurance money I would have no issues with scarfing it up. I just hate to face all the mods again, but I would do it and for sure as it would be a lot easier this time. That is a big factor in that I know the LT pretty well now so to do the few things to get it ride able (lowering pegs) and then safe (QD) would be pretty easy.

Just thinking out loud and looking for all thoughts especially anyone who has faced this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I'm glad to see your home & on the way to recovery Lee . I got my LT as a surprize gift from my wife & it's the only touring bike I have ever rode. Although I love my LT I would never get another touring bike without riding it for at least 500 miles straight or about two tanks of gas. I've rode over 60,000 miles on mine in the last two years & I think a 500 mile ride would tell me everything I need to know about my next purchase.

I hope even though your unemployed you still have some kind of medical insurance. It's bad enough figuring out the bills with insurance let alone without.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Lee,
Glad to see you're up and around. Bike shopping will sure make the time go fast as you heal!

Personally, I would probably consider going the GS route if I were in your position. It's a great touring bike both on and off road and could take you to Alaska and back while you're waiting for the new GTL to show up. I also suspect the GS will hold it's value better than most of the touring machines, regardless of the brand. You might even find it's another style of riding you enjoy and decide to just keep it.

I wouldn't buy new. I would shop the Craig's List ads and find one with under 25K miles, probably an '06-'08.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:30 pm

Lee, glad you're better. I like the "500 miles to really get acquainted" idea. Whatever you get... Can I borrow it for 500 miles?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 9:09 am

Quote:
Can I borrow it for 500 miles?
I was thinking the same thing.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Personally, I would probably consider going the GS route if I were in your position. It's a great touring bike both on and off road and could take you to Alaska and back while you're waiting for the new GTL to show up. I also suspect the GS will hold it's value better than most of the touring machines, regardless of the brand. You might even find it's another style of riding you enjoy and decide to just keep it.

+ 1 on that . Also think about a R1200GS Adventure . The Adventure gives you around the same wind protection as a R1200RT , & It will go any were do anything .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #10 of 14 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:15 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks guys keep it coming.

Like the GS idea.

Dick the FJR is really sweet looking, so is the new VFR duel clutch that I believe is going to start a whole bunch of no clutch lever, no shifter bikes. While I am old fashioned and want to shift, the new VFR is supposed to shift like no ones business, and you can always use the paddle shifters to get through them.

I am getting more intrigued by a light 600 lb bike for awhile. I been riding 800 + lb bikes for a lot of years, maybe I need a break on weight.

Thanks again and keep your thoughts coming.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I am getting more intrigued by a light 600 lb bike for awhile. I been riding 800 + lb bikes for a lot of years, maybe I need a break on weight.
This is exactly where I found myself last fall. With very painful and chronic tendinitis in my left elbow and none of my upper body joints pain-free, I found my 800+ lb Electra Glide to be just too damned heavy. I didn't have a single complaint with it other than its weight and I wasn't sure if I was making a 22K mistake or not, but I took a gamble a bought our RT. I'm glad I did and this bike is going to allow me to ride a few more years than I would have otherwise. If you go to something lighter, you'll be amazed at how much less effort is involved in riding and manhandling it. Hell, when I first made the switch from the Electra Glide, the RT it felt like it was carved from balsa wood!

P.S.- Glad to read that you're on the mend. BTW, I'm your neighbor. We live just north of Hazleton in southern Luzerne County.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

post #12 of 14 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Lee

No matter what you end up with - Wing, LT, etc, I would definitely pick up a 3 year old model if you only plan to hold onto it for a couple of years. That lets someone else eat the heavy depreciation years, you get a decent ride that's well broken in without being broken down, and in 2 years you go for the GTL.

Just my HO.

Pete

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #13 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 7:17 am

I've been looking at used gw's out west here, they ain't cheep!

The 08's seem to be about 17k when you can find them (private party).

thats a great price on a brand new one, I don't think you can go wrong for a couple years.

I just bought a used Valk to try out for awhile, for long distance and 2-up rides.
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 4:02 pm

Lee,

I have other posts on the subject of RT vs LT and on Wings. The 500 mile test ride is a great idea to really get to know a bike. Going from my RT to my LT, it only took 50 miles to make up my mind. I still jump on the RT for a quick trip to town and can't believe how much lighter and sprintier it is. I put a lot of miles on the RT and it is still a great ride.

I found that the price of good used Wings isn't all that much depreciated. Was really surprised.

There are a lot of options out there, good luck in your search.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in