Lt or Goldwing? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Lt or Goldwing?

I love the LT but the expensive maintenance and repair bills has me looking at a goldwing.How do most of you justify the high cost of owning a LT?.If it is so well made.How come it has to be serviced every 6000 miles?Reading about a 2000 dollar repair on here hasnt made me feel that encouraged to own one either.If I bought one used without a warranty and got hit with a bill that high,I would be pretty pissed off as this owner was as well.Any thoughts on this matter greatly appreciated.Beau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 9:30 pm

Re: Lt or Goldwing?

Beau,
Most of us do our own maintenance. Being that you're in the SC upstate, you're near several LT owners and former owners in the Charlotte area with so much experience wrenching on LTs, I bet they bleed blue brake fluid. I do my own fluid changes, but get help with the "deeper" stuff. Tech sessions are a great way to gain experience getting behind the "Tupperware". Most LTs are reliable and they are put together very well. The ones that have problems are the ones that get the publicity. The final drives are known to have a 4%+/- failure rate. That can go the other way and there are 96%+/- that don't fail. The best advice I can give is ride an LT, GW, RT, Ultra, etc. and see which one "speaks" to you. Do you have an LT now? Offer to host a tech session if you have room to do service on a few bikes. Provide cold drinks and snacks and they will come. And some will even bring their own tools. Right, Dave (Saddleman)?

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 9:31 pm

Cost of this hobby takes a distant back seat to enjoyment in my opinion. I had probably as many problems with my LT as anyone here, but since I was able to do all my own work, it gave me much satisfaction every time I made a repair, even the very difficult ones. Sure, I would have liked to never have had to do those jobs, but because pf the way the LT just plain FIT me, both mentally and physically, I would buy another in a heartbeat. I rode a GW once, that was enough. It just plain did not have any "soul like" connection to me like the LT did, plus I felt scrunched up on it compared to the LT.

The LT gave me more satisfaction and fun over the 130,000 miles I rode them than any other vehicle I have ever owned, even with the many hours I spent working on them.
That is something I can not put a price tag on, so the difference between that and a Goldwing I may NEVER have to work on would still not sway me to the GW.

To me, the connection I had with my LTs was priceless.

When I totaled my last one, and went to the wrecking yard to look at it one last time after I got out of the hospital only to find out it was gone was one of the saddest days of my life. I was pretty broken up that I did not get to have a decent goodbye visit with it. I don't think any other motorcycle could have done that. That was nearly 6 years ago now, and I often still think of the many thousands of miles of enjoyment the LT gave me. I would gladly spend many hours working on one again just for the joy of riding it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 9:36 pm

Wow,I 'm one lucky K LT owner.(knock on wood).I have 2,a '00 and an '01.Change the oil and throw on tires as needed and Presto.I can't conceive of other owners not having bulletproof reliability/performance as that's been my experience.Of course ,I'm prone to rubbernecking in scenic venues and am not pushing the performance envelope.My $.02.Gary
post #5 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:21 pm

If I had to pay the dealer for the maintenance, I wouldn't own an LT. This site (and me, considering tearing her apart a hobby) have saved me a lot of money. Wouldn't trade it...

I have a friend who had an LT, and then went for the Wing. He says the LT is far superior in the twisties, so I;ll take his word for it.

Like I always say - ride what you like...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:36 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I would gladly spend many hours working on one again just for the joy of riding it.
So, Dave... when are you coming to Australia for a visit...????
I need to learn how to service the damn thing... up for its 60,000km now.. and put in the new Wilbers that are coming very soon, and... and ..... I'll fix the insurance so you can go for a ride..

Hilton is in town for the moment, but probably not long enough for me to chain him to the bench and get his mits dirty...

but back on track.... I don't do my own wrenching for most part, and HATE having to pay the stealers, but don't have enough confidence with brakes and "important" functional bits that I'm prepared to dig too deep (will have to with the Wilbers though...)
a lot of the time its about costs v's time... if you don't got the time, you have to pay the cost...
The LT is worth it as a ride!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 19 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 1:43 pm

If you think an LT is complicated, check out this thread on how to change a Goldwing´s air filter !.

I could do mine in half the time and a third of the hassle.

http://foro.goldwingcity.es/viewtopic.php?t=145
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 2:28 pm

I had no idea... I had believed my friends as to how simple it is to service a wing. I wonder what other tales they have told me

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #9 of 19 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 2:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I understand your concerns regarding the LT maintenance cost but trust me their worth it. As anyone in So Cal can tell, I'm a very non-technical person. I even had to have adult supervision to replace the antenna. If I can learn to change fluids, plugs & filters anyone can. I still rely on dealers for the big stuff. My current LT is an 05 with 80K miles on her and no major problems. I belive the total cost of ownership is within a few dollars of a Goldwing or Harley over the long haul. Between this forum and service manuals/videos, you will be able to do the basics. As Dennis Miller says: ride a Harley or Wing and you will be just one of a crowd and "ignored like the bus boy @ Hooters". Ride an LT and you experience pure enjoyment and get noticed positively. .

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #10 of 19 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 3:10 pm

I compared the service costs of the Goldwing and LT and found the Goldwing to be slightly less expensive by virtue of the extended service intervals. For example the valve adjustment. There is a difference but not significant enough to base a purchase decision on, so I would buy whichever makes you warm and fuzzy.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #11 of 19 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 6:17 am

Motorcycles are not cheap to own. The money you "save" on gas will be spent elsewhere. Once you acknowledge that you'll be OK. If you don't do your own wrenching then you will pay through the nose to someone else who can do it. There's something to be said for riding a bike you maintain and fix when it breaks. You won't get that satisfaction from paying a dealer to do it...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #12 of 19 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 6:31 am
cwo

Howdy

I don't just love my LT, I am obsessed with it.
Hey, it's better than gambling..... I win every time I ride.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #13 of 19 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:57 am

Cool Re: Lt or Goldwing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
If you think an LT is complicated, check out this thread on how to change a Goldwing´s air filter !.

I could do mine in half the time and a third of the hassle.

http://foro.goldwingcity.es/viewtopic.php?t=145
All I can say is Wow! I had no idea that their Air Filter was also buried under the tank. But all of a sudden our tank removal seems like such a breeze, I will never again gripe about having to remove it!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 19 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 11:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
All I can say is Wow! I had no idea that their Air Filter was also buried under the tank. But all of a sudden our tank removal seems like such a breeze, I will never again gripe about having to remove it!

John
Me either! I bet that guy was speaking English when he 1st started. I was the 1st time I pulled the tank. But wife said I kinda sounded German when I was putting it back on. Actually, it was just some new cuss words that she hadn't heard before.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #15 of 19 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 1:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I bet that guy was speaking English when he 1st started
I'm glade I was finished with me Ice tee , I would have sprayed it all over my computer

Anyway , I have some friends with harley's . They have told me what they get charged to get there bikes serviced ...Not for that faint of hart

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #16 of 19 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 2:33 pm

I fyou want to be bored, by the Goldwing. Maybe you'll have lower maintenace bills, maybe not. If you want an all around great touring bike that will run circles around the GW, get the LT and do your own maintenance.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #17 of 19 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 1:16 am

We looked at Wings and they do look nice. But, I did a fair amount on research on the different years as we couldn't afford a new one. Seems Wings have their skeletons in the closet too. I also noticed a huge back up of Wings waiting and waiting for service at the Honda dealer, in addition to the fact the most Honda dealers I see, sell multiple lines of bikes and attempt to service all of them. (I wonder how well they all get serviced/repaired)

The air filter post is a good example. Another issue is changing the rear tire. The Wing has to be laid down and the tire removal is fairly involved. 2 Wing owners I know pay out lots of geld to get a rear tire changed. The LT is one of the easiest bikes I have ever seen to change a rear tire. Just another example

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #18 of 19 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau7561
I love the LT but the expensive maintenance and repair bills has me looking at a goldwing.How do most of you justify the high cost of owning a LT?.If it is so well made.How come it has to be serviced every 6000 miles?Reading about a 2000 dollar repair on here hasnt made me feel that encouraged to own one either.If I bought one used without a warranty and got hit with a bill that high,I would be pretty pissed off as this owner was as well.Any thoughts on this matter greatly appreciated.Beau
service on all bikes is costly, my brother has a new Wing & the cost is the same if he had the dealer do it. The local Naples Honda dealer stinks so he drives to Sarasota for warranty service! Sound familiar?
The Honda advantage is there are 20x more bikes out there so parts are easier to get new & used.
Example is my brother got a complete new rear wheel, tire, rotor, rear end etc. for $300.00 because so many Wings are TRIKED!
I drove his Wing from TN to S. FL and concluded that I will buy another LT and I'm waiting for one year to pass on the NEW K1600GLT!
One last thing, if you read any blogs, EVERY brand and bike is sooo terrible!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #19 of 19 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 8:40 am

I had TWO FLAT rears this weekend. The rear tire is off in about 10 minutes, IF you have to unload the side case first. I also got to ride a 96 Gold WIng Aspencade as a new friend towed my LT to John Bowles house. THe comparo would be about even. THe 96 wing has a much better stock seat than my 03 LT. The cruise control is much more intuitive on the LT and smoother as well. The wind protection was better (different?) on the wing, but he had a huge tall windshield. Engines? The Wing might be torquier, but again this was the old 1500 engine, I think. This was teh previous iteration, not the new one.

I too have been concerned about the maintenance issues on the LT, but tech sessions are an excellent way to get that taken care of. Plus the LT family here is very generous and knowledgeable. And more particular than the dealerships. If my bike were to break something expensive, my concern would be raising the money to buy the parts - I feel like I could do the repair with help from here. Too many generous guys to let you be stranded for long. Trust me on that.

And you're close by at least two of the best - John Bowles and Pastor Jack.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in