Shoei RF1100 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Shoei RF1100

Anyone out there using one of these? If so, do you like? Do they have as bad a problem fogging as the RF1000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Re: Shoei RF1100

I bought an X-11 when the X-12 came out. It fogs badly in cool weather. A Fog City shield keeps it clear, but in the dark, you do get prisms when looking toward headlights and street lights. It's not that bad and after a few trips, you stop noticing it. The X-11 is very comfortable and much quieter than the Arai Astral-X it replaced.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Last edited by Lee510; Jul 8th, 2010 at 7:08 pm.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Super Moderator

I just bought an RF1100 and so far I really like it. No idea on the fogging, but from the ventilation it has, which is far superior to most of my previous helmets, it's possible it won't be too big an issue.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 9:49 pm

I have a size large RF-1100. Same size I wore in an RF-1000.

I bought the the Shoei PINLOCK shield for the RF-1100. No fogging, period! (also had it in my RF-1000) The RF-1100 Pinlock is much less obtrusive since the no-fog insert comes almost completely to the top of the shield.

Helmet is much more substantial then the RF-1000 and is heavier. Feels a lot more "cantankerous" on. But peripheral vision is better.

Ventalation is similar. the interior padding is much more substantial and feels somewhat more confing on the RF-1100, but also is more removable and you can purchase different thickness cheek pads (When the become available).

Best price I found was Competition Accessoires where i paid $309,.00 in Light silver Metallic , Free shipping No tax!

www.compacc.com
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 5:34 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I have also been looking at competition's prices and they look like they have everyone beat. I have always used a modular because of my glasses but I want something quieter. I tried one on at Cycle Gear yesterday and it felt really good.
they have the RF1000 on sale for $269 but I think I like the vents and removable liner on the 100 better.
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 5:35 am Thread Starter

Whoops I meant 1000
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:01 am

I just bought an 1100 after wearing flip fronts on my LT. I wanted something quieter and lighter. The large size fits me well which is one size smaller than my Schuberth. Ventilation is great on the Shoei but the top vents are quite noisy. They frequently produce a whistling noise which disappears if I look slightly down or up. Adjusting the windshield height does help also but cuts down on airflow through the helmet. I recently rode several hours on my RT when it was 33 degrees C and quite appreciated the volume of air flowing through the helmet. The face shield lock lever on the left side of the helmet opens the shield just a crack if it is placed in the lower position. This allows more air to flow up the inside of the shield which is cooling and also reported to reduce fogging. I really like the quality of the liner and it is a comfortable helmet. I did install the chin curtain which prevents air flow from under the helmet. It is supposed to eliminate noise from the bottom of the helmet but does not. There is a constant low frequency noise from the bottom of the helmet but it is not extreme and less than I have experienced with other helmets. The finish is superb. I would certainly consider replacing this one with another when the times comes.
Peter

Last edited by TWheels; Jul 9th, 2010 at 11:39 am.
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Do you wear ear plugs Peter? I have a Cycle Gear brand ( seven 0 seven ) that whistles some but when I wear plugs like I do most of the time anymore, I don't hear it. I think that will probably be the next helmet for me though.
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 8:46 am

I wear earplugs every time I ride. Had a set custom made by a local audiologist. I think they are good. Before I bought my RF1100 I read online reviews. This link will take you to one of the better sites I found. http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed...s/Products.htm. I found their RF1100 review to be accurate but I think it also depends on a number of subjective factors. I do like the helmet and would buy another. But if a really quiet helmet is what you are looking for, this may not be the one.
Peter
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 10:00 am

I don't get any whistle on my RF-1100 but there can can be a considerable amount of wind noise form the front ventswhich is speed and windshield height depenmdent, mostly a result in the full down position. ('09 Rt with a standard V-stream, ESA suspension, standard height with seat in the low position)

I wear E-A-Rsoft Gripper ear plugs. with a NRR of 31 db. These were highly recommended at Web Bike World review. http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

Although they are only made now with a connecting cord. I just cut the cord. They cut out all unwanted wind & road/tire noise, but i can still hear cars approaching/and horns/sirens even with my JM elite bluetooth helmet speakers on (XM, MP3 Nav directions and phone) which still sound great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in