Anyone ever rode a Victory vision - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

Anyone ever rode a Victory vision

Gentleman, please dont lynch mob me. I dont know why i just love the look of them. I just wondered what your thoughts were, as Victory dealers in the uk are few and far between
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Re: Anyone ever rode a Victory vision

I also like to look at them What a beautiful bike!

Swedish magazine (motorrad.se) has a test for 32000miles with one Victory-model, Hammer S. After 3800 miles they found rust on top of the exhaust pipe, not good indeed!

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)
post #3 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 4:15 pm

I think it's a bike that you either love or hate--no middle with it. Just my two cents.

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 4:20 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
I think it's a bike that you either love or hate--no middle with it. Just my two cents.
Just like the LT?

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #5 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Nearly 3 years ago, I rode a Victory Vision Tour on a test ride before we bought our K1200LT. Smoother than HD by far. Seemed to be a superior bike to the HD Ultra Classic too. We rode the middle of 3 levels available at the time. We almost pulled the trigger on it too, in the ice blue. Like the LT it feels like a massive motorcylcle and even looks like it. And like the LT, once you get rolling it rides nice and you no longer notice the size. The luggage compartments are smaller than they appear though. It even had the power windshield! One thing I liked was that there was NO dealer markup like another American manufacturer. The listed MSRP was the maximum you were going to pay for the bike. Our thought was "It looks cool now but will we still think that in 3 or 4 years?" When we went to look at our LT my wife thought it looked "Sexy" which is different than cool. Once we rode the LT our decision was made but the Vision wasn't that far behind.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #6 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Yup. Pretty. Rode. Still have LT. JMO

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #7 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 7:07 pm

I test rode a Vision 2 years ago at Americade. It was the second Victory I had test that week. The first was the Jackpot Tour. Wasn't crazy about the Jackpot. When I rode the Vision I was at first shocked by how hard the seat was. After 2 minutes the seat started feeling very comfortable. I also liked the length of the foot pegs, I had plenty of slide room. I enjoyed the ride, It was about as smooth as a Gold Wing. It had plenty of room for both operator and passenger. I'm cramped on the Gold Wing. I found the engine to be a little week in the lower rpm range and had to crank it to feel the power. I love the weird looks and styling. Its different. Don't look like anything else on the road. I liked the one without the trunk. Wish they had a better design for it as its the only ugly thing about the bike. I still prefer my Lt but the Vision is a second choice.

2003 K1200 LT E ( Traded )
1976 Suzuki Gt 185 Adventurer ( Sold )
1982 Kawasaki Ltd 440 ( Leaking oil on shed floor )
1967 Sears Sr 250 (Puch) ( Needs new points )
1996 Kawasaki Ex 250
When I cant ride-
2000 Elgin Pelican
1996 Case 621B
2004 John Deere 624J
2005 Ford Ranger 2wd
Life is short....Ride every thing!
post #8 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Love the looks of the Vision. When I first saw it, I knew I had to have one. Went to demo one in Myrtle Beach. I was shocked at how small the saddlebag storage was, might be able to put a lunchbox in each one. When I rode it, it was good. Rode OK, shifted OK, handled OK. Kind of like a vanilla ice cream cone, good but no fun factor for me.
When I rode my LT I was sold after the first mile.

Bob
post #9 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 7:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Regardless of performance, in a year or two, I would be looking at a Vision sitting in my garage and wonder what was I thinking. I don't think the design will age well, unlike the LT that after 11 years still has a pretty contemporary look.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Cool Re: Anyone ever rode a Victory vision

I've never ridden the Vision, but I nearly bought the Kingpin, as a second bike. I love that bike and the way it handles, its a comfy little creampuff, but the owner and I failed to agree on terms and price. I know that some of the corner jockeys on this site would say it sits too low to corner fast. I would agree, yet it is well balanced and sets into corners easily. The Vision has a very unique look, it is a piece of functional art; the sidebags suffer in size because of this. Did the batwing rearends of the 57 American cars live eternally in the mainstream? No way, but we reminisce over them, and admire their beauty at car shows and rallies. The people who really loved them still drive them.
post #11 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 9:59 pm

I have a friend who let me ride his. He loves it, but that's because he worked for the dealer and they gave him a good deal. It is somewhat comfortable, even though it is hot from the pipes. Has too much vibration for me. Also, the saddle bags are pretty small. Just my observations.

Charles
post #12 of 27 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 7:42 am

Yes, I have Ridden a Vision. I used it for a day trip and found it to be an interesting bike. The power is good, the handling is pretty good and the controls work well. On the upside, the headlight is a lot better than the stock LT's (that's why I have HID in my LT), and the transmission worked surprisingly smooth. My only issues were that the seating position was uncomfortable for me...your results will vary.......and that I couldn't really relate to the Vision as a 'touring' bike as intended. The side luggage and the top box are so misshapen as to be only barely serviceable. I know Victory probably makes aftermarket takbags, luggage liners.......maybe even a rack for the box.....but as delivered, I found it VERY difficult to find places to stow stuff for just a big days ride.
If just cruising from place to place, or a little light touring is your thing, I think the Vision may be a great bike. It's got some innovative engineering (check out the battery location!), and good fit and finish, good power and things like that. I really REALLY wanted to like the Vision because I think it's high time someone made a decent, higher tech V-Twin for touring.....but I came away thinking that if I had to cover 600 miles in a day or be gone for a week and the only choice in bikes I had was a Vision or an Electra Glide Ultra....I would take the H-D.
I hope that Victory keeps working on the Vision and gets it revamped into a great touring bike because I think the basic package has lots of potential.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #13 of 27 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 8:22 am

No I have not ridden one but Kari Savolainen and myself tried to rent ones from Eaglerider for our this year CCR trip.
Eagleriders responded that they had Victury Visions as test bikes in their rental fleet last year but due to too small demand they decided to discontinue them in 2010.

Now hearing about the limited luggage space in Vision we might be lucky that we did not get them.

So...it will be GoldWings again this year...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #14 of 27 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 8:56 am

These guys have, if you can understand what they are saying. Yes, it is english.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYUbURkdvnY&feature=fvw
post #15 of 27 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 10:04 am

I test rode a Vision and was not impressed. The transmission had a very loud clunk into first gear and it seemed down on power. I took it for a 10 mile cruise and then came back for the SO. When I took here for a cruise she said the vibration in the seat was to much. Although I did like the looks the LT is a better cruiser by far. The price tag for the Vision is a little steep. I bought my LT for 10,000 with 2000 miles on it. I can not see spending 24000 to 29000 for a cruiser like the Ultra or Vision.

Just my two cents.

Al
Spokane
WA
post #16 of 27 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman37
I have a friend who let me ride his. He loves it, but that's because he worked for the dealer and they gave him a good deal. It is somewhat comfortable, even though it is hot from the pipes. Has too much vibration for me. Also, the saddle bags are pretty small. Just my observations.

Charles
I to rode one. It looks great but not the German vibration free machine that I have come to expect out of my RT. It does look cool and it is art work, but would not buy one.

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
post #17 of 27 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 11:33 am

Yes, a buddy has one so I ride it from time to time.

Handling is very good for such a big bike.
torque.
Drivers Seat.
styling.

Dislikes:
Virbration on feet and hands.
Wind on the top of the helmet is torbulant at any windshield height.
Hard to reach pedals (I have a 29 inseam and he has a 36 inseam so may not be set up for me).
Heat off the engine.
Lots of wasted side bag space (poor design).
Not my style of ride with feet forward.
Wife got to much wind.
She didn't like the seat as much.
She felt like she was sitting on top of the bike and not part of the bike like she does with the LT.
She felt she sat to high.

Overall, I think it is a very nice bike. Well put together and good technology.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #18 of 27 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 11:37 am

Another video

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...es/videos.aspx
post #19 of 27 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ltboy
Gentleman, please dont lynch mob me. I dont know why i just love the look of them. I just wondered what your thoughts were, as Victory dealers in the uk are few and far between
After putting about 200 miles on the LT yesterday, my wife and I pulled into a country restaurant and parked right next to one. There were some old folks drooling over it. They left. The owner walked up. I told him I parked next to him so people wouldn't mess with my bike. He laughed.

I like it, but it's a little over the top for me. It's the styling equivalent of ape hanger handlebars: Looks cool, impossible to live with...
post #20 of 27 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 3:14 pm

You nailed that one safe to say I wouldn't be caught riding one not sure who they are marketing to its way over the top for me to much bling not enough bang.

Quote:

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #21 of 27 Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
One thing I liked was that there was NO dealer markup like another American manufacturer. The listed MSRP was the maximum you were going to pay for the bike.
Our local Harley dealer has long forgotten the "dealer markup". They're begging to sell them. Even at a discount, v-twin isn't for me!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #22 of 27 Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 4:23 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
These guys have, if you can understand what they are saying. Yes, it is english.

Yes but you can perfectly understand the last sentence I guess

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #23 of 27 Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 9:57 pm

I have taken several Victory models on extended test rides, including a Victory Vision. Nice, but not my cup o' tea.

I really want to like those big V-twins, but they don't seem to work for me. Here are my thoughts about the Vision:

I like the styling, but there is a lot of wasted space that could have been used for storage.

I didn't like the lack of attention to the small details. I visually checked that the cases were shut, but one of the side cases opened up while I was riding. There was no visual indication that the case lid was loose.

I don't like the vibration.

The bike seemed very underpowered for its size and displacement; and I rode the bike empty.

Every time I ride one of those big beautiful V-twins and then get back on my GT, it reminds me how much I enjoy riding the GT and how well it fits my needs.
post #24 of 27 Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles

I nearly bought the LT in that video. The dealer in Guildford was selling it as a "demonstrator".
I gave him a couple of hints but he still wouldn't come clean about it being used by the bike press!!. I bought a different one from another dealer and told him why. If he'd been honest we might have been able to negotiate.

post #25 of 27 Old Jun 24th, 2010, 4:13 am

What sort of "discount" was he offering ?. How many miles on the clock ?.
post #26 of 27 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Quote:
I hated it, and I was working for a Victory dealership at the time when I rode it!! they have a lot of power but it's not an LT.

HEY....IT'S THE WAY OF MY PEOPLE....

1973 Yamaha 750 (R.I.P.)
1980 Yamaha 550 SECA (R.I.P.)
1999 Kawasaki ZRX 1100 (R.I.P.)
1984 HONDA 200 ATX
1999 Kawasaki ZX 9 R
2003 BMW K1200 LT
post #27 of 27 Old Jun 28th, 2010, 9:02 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
Yes but you can perfectly understand the last sentence I guess
Yep "if it was my money it would be the BMW"
Enough said

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in