Rode an interesting bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Rode an interesting bike

A friend just bought a mid 80's Suzuki Cavalcade 1400 and asked me to take it out for a spin. Very impressive bike for it's age. After you fire it up, you hit a button so that the bike can level itself for your load. The rider's seat was the most comfortable stock seat I've ever been on. The passenger seat is a 6 way air adjustable, and the passenger boards are also air adjustable for angle. Came with CB and intercom plus AM/FM cassette which is easily removable. Side bags, hard, each have a glove box built into the top for access by the passenger. Clearly not a curve burner, but what an impressive innovative bike for its day. The only thing I could see that was missing was an adjustable windshield.
Just thought I'd share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 1:00 pm

Re: Rode an interesting bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
A friend just bought a mid 80's Suzuki Cavalcade 1400 and asked me to take it out for a spin. Very impressive bike for it's age. After you fire it up, you hit a button so that the bike can level itself for your load. The rider's seat was the most comfortable stock seat I've ever been on. The passenger seat is a 6 way air adjustable, and the passenger boards are also air adjustable for angle. Came with CB and intercom plus AM/FM cassette which is easily removable. Side bags, hard, each have a glove box built into the top for access by the passenger. Clearly not a curve burner, but what an impressive innovative bike for its day. The only thing I could see that was missing was an adjustable windshield.
Just thought I'd share.
There were some neat touring machines that went up against the Honda Goldwing in that era. I had an early 90's Yamaha Venture Royal (not to be confused with a Venture), this bike had an on board compressor for adjusting the suspension, anti-dive front brakes, audio system including cassette tape and CB, great luggage, and was overall a very nice bike. It just didn't handle like a BMW, kind of a boring ride, but a solid comfortable bike.
Too bad Suzuki and Yamaha didn't keep on working with these bikes. Market was too small for 'em and they concentrated on the crusier market. Let's be thankful that BMW hasn't conceeded the luxo-touring market to Honda as well, or have they?.......
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 3:01 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Rode an interesting bike

Looks pretty nice for its time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6-d7I6QQdk

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in