cycle insurance coverage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

Angry cycle insurance coverage

This may only apply to the great state of New York and maybe not all vendors. But......

Had a recent incident with tight brakes on a bike that did not get loose with use, and instead locked up the front wheel, when power was no longer being put to rear wheel. I felt fine for a few hours then discovered a large bump on right hip area, sour abdomen and light headed, ect.

Called 911 and took trip to be checked out, two hours later back home with some great pain pills and new respect for tight bakes.

Called Ins. (state farm) of owner of bike and was informed cycle Ins. does not cover driver, rider, nor even some one injured or hurt if bike falls over on them in driveway. Only covers others who are hurt by bike in accident or mishap.

Driver's own medical Ins is to be used by driver and passenger. My Ins.(different one) company does offer some optional coverage to cover the co-pay for service of medical type up to 10,000 at an additional cost of 104.00/ yr.

Is this secret well known and just new to me, and the 15-20 drivers I asked over the last few days???

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 11:08 pm

Re: cycle insurance coverage

It is a common misconception that the bodily injury coverage (BI) covers the driver. It does not, it covers damages caused to others by you. Depending on how the coverage is written this might extend to the passenger or it might not. In order to have coverage for your own injuries you need waht is known as medical payments coverage (MPC) which is purchased for specific amounts. You health insurance might or might not cover motorcycle related injuries, you need to read the policy VERY carefully as it may not appear to be in English. I was a claim representative for State Farm for several years and have explained this many times.

On many policies your liability coverage will be written as coverage "A" and expressed as something like 100/300/25. That translates to a maximum payout of $100k per injured person with a maximum of $300k total for the event. The final number is the limit for property damage to others (in this case $25k). This does NOT cover damages to your bike. For that you need comprehensive and collision which are two separate coverages. These are often required if the vehicle is financed. The last thing to be aware of is that most states require uninsured motorist coverage which covers injuries to you if they were caused by the negligence of another who lacks sufficient coverage of their own. Most companies will not allow you to have higher "U" coverage limits than you have for your "A" coverage. This is why I carry really high A limits since here in Colorado there are lots of people with no insurance.
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 5:42 pm

Been that way in NY for a long time. No medical coverage for driver of motorcycle.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 6th, 2010, 9:40 am Thread Starter

So for sure I need to rethink the coverage I have vs. what i need to take care of me and friends.

also the brakes now work very well, thank you

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 6th, 2010, 9:52 am Thread Starter

So for sure I need to rethink the coverage I have vs. what i need to take care of me and friends.

also the brakes now work very well, thank you

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
Lusting after K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in