Traded my LT for a new Concours 14 today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 29th, 2010, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

Traded my LT for a new Concours 14 today

One test ride on the new C14 and I was hooked. It's the 2010 ABS model which includes a host of improvements over the '09 model... traction control, heated grips, better heat management, and linked brakes (still no cruise control though).

I was looking for something sportier (and lighter!). Tried the RT but it didn't speak to me. The GT was nice but a bit pricey... also, the lack of a local BMW dealership didn't help. Of the 3 Kawasaki dealers in town, one in particular provided exceptional customer service and made a great, no-hassle deal on the C14 using my K12 as a trade. Got an additional 3 year extended warranty thrown in so I'm covered for 6 years.

Not yet sure how the C14 will be as a long distance interstate cruiser but with a larger CeeBaileys windshield and an updated seat it will probably serve my needs quite well.

I'm selling off all my bags, liners, seats (Corbin), and stuff in the classified section if anyone is interested.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 30th, 2010, 5:17 am

Re: Traded my LT for a new Concours 14 today

Congratulations. Keep us updated on the new ride.
post #3 of 17 Old May 30th, 2010, 7:04 am

You and Joe can have your own Forum!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old May 31st, 2010, 1:18 am

I've still got an older Concours 1000 and will keep it, just too danged dependable. Now if you need some info on the C14, head over to 'cog-online.org'.

Now if you haven't already experienced this, when you get ready to open the wick up in 2nd gear, just make sure you have at least a quarter mile clear in front of you. Because you will be there by the time you twist it.

tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #5 of 17 Old May 31st, 2010, 10:13 am

Congrats, enjoy the new scoot. I thought the new Concours has cruise control?

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #6 of 17 Old May 31st, 2010, 10:24 am

Congrats on the Kaw. Too bad you didn't ride the 1300 GT first, you'd have never looked back at the Kaw. The dealer gave me one for the day and I put 565 miles on it. Completely awesome in every respect; brakes, comfort, torque and POWER. But the Kawi should be adequate in most regards.
post #7 of 17 Old May 31st, 2010, 4:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Congrats on the Kaw. Too bad you didn't ride the 1300 GT first, you'd have never looked back at the Kaw. The dealer gave me one for the day and I put 565 miles on it. Completely awesome in every respect; brakes, comfort, torque and POWER. But the Kawi should be adequate in most regards.
I don't know, Cycle World gave the nod to the Kawasaki in their side by side test and the Concourse is thousands $$ less to boot.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #8 of 17 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 6:41 am

Congrats! And welcome to the wonderful world of Kawasaki sport-touring. Mine only has 3K on it, but I am LOVING it more with every mile. Cruise Control was just a $240 farkle and works as good as the BMW OEM ... so I'm still thousands ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Rode my '06 K1200GT for over 30K, so I think I'm a little better equipped to make these evaluations. You are WAY off base, my friend. The GT has a slight edge in a few areas ... but don't get my started on where the C-14 out-shines the GT. I realize the Beemer KoolAid runs thick through the veins of many around here ... but there are other makes available. And who knows? Some of them just might be better than what your Mothership is offering.
post #9 of 17 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:14 am

Congrats. Enjoy it and give us your views after a few thousand miles.
post #10 of 17 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 5:11 pm

I'd love to ride one. I know it would need a much bigger windshied, cruise, and probably a peg lowering kit, and bar raising kit to get it anywhere near acceptable for me.

The one thing it is lacking that cannot be addressed is the smallish fuel tank. What is the range on a C-14? I'm assuming here, but it seems 200miles on a tank might be max.
post #11 of 17 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
I'd love to ride one. I know it would need a much bigger windshied, cruise, and probably a peg lowering kit, and bar raising kit to get it anywhere near acceptable for me.

The one thing it is lacking that cannot be addressed is the smallish fuel tank. What is the range on a C-14? I'm assuming here, but it seems 200miles on a tank might be max.
I just ordered a Cee Bailey's windshield ... just as I had done for my GT.
Cruise Control costs $240 to your door ... works just like OEM.
The tank holds 5.8 gallons which is plenty for me. The 2010 comes with two fuel maps, one being "Economy" mode. I'm getting a little better mileage on the C-14 versus the GT ... so I'm getting over 250 miles between gas stops.
post #12 of 17 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Congrats on the new bike bro, enjoy it. Wow Joe, 250 miles to a tank is some freakishly sweet fuel mileage.
post #13 of 17 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
I just ordered a Cee Bailey's windshield ... just as I had done for my GT.
Cruise Control costs $240 to your door ... works just like OEM.
The tank holds 5.8 gallons which is plenty for me. The 2010 comes with two fuel maps, one being "Economy" mode. I'm getting a little better mileage on the C-14 versus the GT ... so I'm getting over 250 miles between gas stops.

250 miles is very acceptable, and a bit more than I would have guessed. Assuming that is with the economy mode being used. 250 miles is about where my 2010 RT starts to get thirsty as well with 6.6 gallons.

Great bike, and they sure look purty in dark blue. Maybe someday I'll ride one and find out for myself if I could make the ergos work for me. My 07 GT just never felt comfortable.

Enjoy!!
post #14 of 17 Old Jun 13th, 2010, 11:34 pm

Congratulations; Great bike! I almost purchased one but opted for the RT. I'm glad I did, but was really impressed with the Concours 14. I'll be curious to see how well it holds up over time; keep us posted!.
post #15 of 17 Old Jun 14th, 2010, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
I don't know, Cycle World gave the nod to the Kawasaki in their side by side test and the Concourse is thousands $$ less to boot.
It's true that I've had a bit of the BMW koolaid, but price difference of $3851 (MSRP comparo) just isn't enough motivation for me to switch to the Connie. Also, our local dealer, BMW of Denver, is an excellent shop and they treat us like gold. It's hard to put a dollar value on that!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #16 of 17 Old Jun 16th, 2010, 2:56 pm

I bet your maintenance costs will go down quite a bit. And you'll get much higher top end and much quicker in all the rpm ranges. But you will prolly not be anywhere near as comfortable on a long haul.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #17 of 17 Old Jun 17th, 2010, 4:54 am

Congratulations and best of luck with it!

I like the Concours 14 a lot. In fact, if I didn't like my RT so much, I'd be riding one.

I'd be nice if you could give us your impressions of it after you've put a few miles on it.

P.S.- I just read an article on the new Concours 14P ABS police model (Kawasaki has finally reentered the police bike market) and was thoroughly impressed with the review, especially the performance numbers. Running the quarter mile in 10.52 seconds @ 130.5 mph is damned fast for a sport touring bike. The same article mentioned that the new Concours 14P is already on duty with the El Paso PD, the Woodburn (OR) PD, and the Idaho State Police.

Here's a link to a photo of the police model. I'd post it here, but the image is huge.

http://z.about.com/d/motorcycles/1/0..._14_Police.jpg

http://www.kawasaki.com/Content/pdfs...rs14Police.pdf

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

Last edited by XTrooper; Jun 17th, 2010 at 5:19 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in