Concours or FJR or What? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

Concours or FJR or What?

If, suddenly, you had to replace your KLT with a new bike, but it couldn't be a BMW, what would you get? I love the FJR, but the Concours has a lot going for it. The Feejer is fast and has a lot of the amenities we like but is $13,500. The Concours is long-term reliable, but slower and has a buzziness. It is only $8,000, though, which makes up for a lot.

Robin

Robin
Augusta, GA
2002 K1200LT Purple (Mauve)
83 R100RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 8:41 pm

Vote with your $!`

If you have the $13,500 to spend, buy the feejer. If you don't....buy the Concours. If I could only have ONE motorcycle, it would be a feejer!
Ride Safe, Ron
post #3 of 80 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 9:03 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I left my '99 LT behind when we moved from the UK back to the US. We immediately bought a house, so I was hesitant to drop $20K for another LT. I bought a new Concourse instead. It was fine for solo commuting, but honestly I felt the LT handled better overall.

I ended up not going to CCR '02 because I couldn't see riding the Connie that far. I probably could've done it, but there was no way we were doing it two up. It even got to the point where we'd take the car instead of the bike on weekend trips. It just wasn't really comfortable overall.

So 8 months later I traded it in on an '02 LT and never looked back.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd rather buy a used LT than a new Concourse. Keep an eye out, the '99 and '00 LTs can be had for well under $10K, and you occasionally see them go for around $8,500.

Hope that helps.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 80 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 9:36 pm

Hmmmm?? Hard,hard question.....

I can't imagine not having an LT now that I have one,,but, I would probably go back to a FLHTC.. I could ride that scooter longer and farther each day than all the bikes I've owned..I would also go stand a take a long look at the Wing too.........Regards Pete
post #5 of 80 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 9:54 pm

I've had my '86 Connie since '89 and have not ever regreted ownership. It has been a very stable and reliable ride and it is SOOO easy to work on. A lot of the Connie riders are starting to switch over to the FJR because of it's power and handling. You have to remember that the Connie has not changed significantly since it's introduction in '86, so by today's standards it is outdated. Does the LT handle better? Well, it should considering the technology change over the years, but I know a few Connie owners that have surprised sport bike riders in the twisties. Don't underestimate the 'ol girl! Will I ever get rid of the Connie? No way! That thing is just one hoot to ride. I can honestly say that I would part with my LT before I'd part with my Connie. You can also farkle the heck out of the Connie and still not touch the price of an FJR.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #6 of 80 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 10:22 pm
Super Moderator

If it can't be a BMW, then probably an FJR or a Ducati ST4S. I don't think I would go Gold Wing, but I could revert back to HD and get a RoadGlide with the huge Screamin' Eagle motor kit. If HD made a sport-tourer on the V-Rod platform I woul definitely consider that.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 9:57 am

nothing. I looked at all the bikes used to go touring and this is the bike we wanted. If we can't have this we will go for the new jag convertible
post #8 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
If, suddenly, you had to replace your KLT with a new bike, but it couldn't be a BMW, what would you get? I love the FJR, but the Concours has a lot going for it. The Feejer is fast and has a lot of the amenities we like but is $13,500. The Concours is long-term reliable, but slower and has a buzziness. It is only $8,000, though, which makes up for a lot.

Robin
If I do get another bike, it will likely be either another LT, or possibly a GS. I have seen absolutely nothing else out there I would want to even test ride.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:30 am

As much as I loved the power plant and wind protection of the Connie, I doubt if I could revert to 1986 technology. The frame, suspension and brakes of the old school concours leave so much to be desired. The bike is very unforgiving and the brakes lock fairly easily, you need to be an experienced rider to handle the connie when pushing it hard. Otherwise I loved my Connie, the wind protection was great and I could ride her all day - just had to remember she is an Old School Lady.
The FJR on the other hand is more refined but was to small for my 6'1'' frame. I can't see how anyone over 5'10'' could fit the FJR.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #10 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:27 pm

Thumbs up

My 2 cents: I liked my Connie, I love my LT. However, you can buy a new Connie with a little haggling for about $7500. Put new fork springs, brake pads, SS brake lines, a fork brace, a de-buzzing kit, bar risers, AND a new seat and you have a pretty F$%%^ good bike. That will most likely set you back another $1k, so, still cheap. I think I might get another Connie in addition to my LT at some point. Bottom line: I could be happy with only the Connie, and they are bullet-proof.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #11 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 2:49 pm

I bought a brand new Connie in 2004, kept it a few months and sold it when I bought my 99 LT used.

Not comfortable for me, even after installing the bar risers and lowered pegs. In traffic my hands would start to fall asleep and I had to shake them vigorously to get the blood flowing again.
And forget about going much of anywhere with my 5'9" SO... Just too cramped and not designed to travel 2 up for very long. The seat is wrong and needs to be replaced.
On the other hand I like the nimbleness... and yes it was a cheap bike. Then again you get what you pay for.
I think I would even look at a used Honda ST before considering a Connie... if a BMW is not in the picture.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 4:58 pm

GS for sure!

Tired of plastic and the feejer has ZERO personality IMHO...
post #13 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 5:10 pm

The only other bike I would ever consider is going back to HD Ultra Classic. I still miss the old girl. But then the other old girl (my wife) reminds me that she enjoys the LT so much more.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #14 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 5:54 pm

Exclamation Do y'all even know what you ride?!?!

Hhmmmn... If I HAD to replace the LT, and the replacement could NOT be another BMW product (aka K1200GT, or K1200R) . . . I would simply replace the LT with a GOLD WING!!! HELLO!!!

Quite frankly, this thread cracks me up. Y'all talk about replacing the LT and suddenly a list of current sport-tourers shows up! What a hoot! THE LT IS NOT A SPORT-TOURER! It's a Luxury Tourer with some sport capabilities. The FJR could NOT replace what the LT does in a million years. Nor could any of the others mentioned. For one-up or two-up long distance comfort and ammentities...there's nothing to replace the LT 'cept for the Gold Wing.
post #15 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 6:03 pm

for me it would be a Valkyrie Interstate

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #16 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 6:41 pm

just Joe being Narrow minded

If the stipulation is (not in the original question) replacing the LT with another luxo-tourer then, yes, the obvious answer would be the Wing. I however, have no interest in a Wing as I feel it's capabilities are too limited for my type riding. I'd actually be more inclined to buy a V-Rod than a Wing. Maybe when I grow up, but not yet.

The Connie- don't think so
The FJR- I'll get back to ya after I've had it for a month, and a couple thousand miles.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #17 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 8:08 pm

dumb question

What's an FJR????
post #18 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfischer23
What's an FJR????
http://www.micapeak.com/bike/FJR1300/

post #19 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 9:44 pm

thanks...

Thanks, Joe...

Interesting, as someone else noted, the FJR in particular is not LT like at all...

Not any kind of a value judgement at all... it just appears to be a different sort of beast.

The Concours, which I've al least sat on, seems aimed more at being in the same catagory...

As for me... If BMW would make a new K75, I'd grab one in a minute. I had originally intended to sell my K75c after I got used to my LT, but I'm thinking I may well keep it... It's a different kind of ride... for a different kind of mood.

As a newbie here, BTW.. Just want to thank everyone for all the great info.
post #20 of 80 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Yes...if you scroll up John, you'd see that I was the one that basically eluded to the fact that the LT and the FJR1300 are not in the same class.

It's funny. Some guys get offended when I say things like this. As if I don't LOVE the LT. MY LT!!!! No...I'm just a realist, and they are all quite delusional!
post #21 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 3:15 am

NO DOUBT.................FJR

Concours? BZZZZZZZZZZZ BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
post #22 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 6:24 am

Here's an '06 with the bags

Power, Handling, Luxury: Pick any TWO, 'cuz you can't have all Three!

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #23 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 6:40 am

FJR is a nice fast, comfortable and light machine, more than capable of two up touring, I managed 10 countries on it in 2 years, two up and loaded. 145bhp makes it effortless to ride. LT that I replaced it with is a sluggish monster in comparison. Slow gear change, heavy throttle and really top heavy, are a few of the downsides, but the comfort, I'm hoping will come into it's own on a new European 4000 mile venture I have planned for this summer.
post #24 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 7:41 am

Joe makes a good point. The LT and the sport-touring class are totally different riding styles, which is why when I decided to get another bike I didn't get another Connie or the FJR, or anything else along those lines. I wanted a different style, but NOT a cruiser!

Now, as for the buzz that you hear so much about. It can be fixed by adjusting the counter-balancer and keeping the valves set. You can also add larger barends weights, or change out the bars and use a bar snake, or fill the bars with lead shot. But honestly after owning the same bike for 17 yrs, if that "buzz" (which I don't even notice) is all there is to complain about, then I'd say it's a damn good bike. Granted 2 up is a bit cramped, especially if the rider and passenger are fairly large, but I've known several people that have ridden across country 2 up, so it can't be all that bad.

If you're really interested in getting a Connie, then check out http://www.concours.org. What you'll find is a group that is as helpful and fanatical about the Connie as this group is about the LT. (another reason I chose the LT!)

Marshall, Tx

post #25 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 8:01 am

Doug,

Just remember that you don't have to apologize for the Connie. That old gal's been around longer in it's original form than ANY BMW of the last 3 decades!

(Now if Kawasaki takes the current but soon-to-be obsolete ZZR1200's motor and puts that in the Connie, and gives the old girl a facelift...EVERYone will be drooling over her. You mark my words...)
post #26 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 9:32 am

Man, the more I ride/learn/practice/read, the more I realize how many different bikes are out there, and how I'd like to ride each one for a month! If that were to somehow happen I'm not sure I'd end up with the LT, which I have now. I have a grand total of 1 month's ownership of a Honda Shadow 600, folloiwed by 6 months with an '05 LT -- not much experience to draw upon when comparing one bike to another. I see myself taking advantage of every opportunity (dealer, Bike Week, friend) to ride a different kind of bike.

Don't get me wrong; I like my LT but the FJR, the Valkyrie Interstate (where did THAT come from? -- completely off my radar, until now) and others look very, very sweet, and could be "the bike" for me. This is an ongoing process!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #27 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 9:46 am

I have owned the LT, Concours and FJR. My decision would be made from how the majority of miles were spent. Two up - Concours. One up - FJR. The LT will cruise in triple digits all day one or two up with uncompromised comfort and amenities. I really don't see an option to the LT.
post #28 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 9:50 am

Don't worry Howard. You've got the Crème de la Crème of touring bikes. The biggest problem I see is that most people want one bike to do EVERYTHING. Ain't gonna happen. Keep the LT, then find a smaller sportier bike as your riding level increases to complete your stable.

FWIW, the Valkerie is no longer available, IIRC. It had a lot of things going for it...but I could pick on it in certain areas too. Like I said, there ain't no All-In-One bike out there.
post #29 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 9:57 am

Quote:
This is an ongoing process!

Exactly. My preferences have morphed over the years, from dirt bikes, to sport bikes, to sport touring, to the LT, to the Wi (screeeeech!), back to sport touring.....

If the LT did not exist, I would more likely have a GS and a sport tourer than a Wing and a sport tourer. If I could have only one bike, it would be a sport tourer.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #30 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:00 am

Red face

Then again...Dave's bike on order is an AUTOMATIC. Some sport-tourer!
post #31 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Exactly. My preferences have morphed over the years, from dirt bikes, to sport bikes, to sport touring, to the LT, to the Wi (screeeeech!), back to sport touring.....

If the LT did not exist, I would more likely have a GS and a sport tourer than a Wing and a sport tourer. If I could have only one bike, it would be a sport tourer.
Make sure to give us an owner's report once you get the FJR - I'm currently debating the FJR / GT choice.

Tom
post #32 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:57 am

I love my Sprint ST, but when we want to go together we take the LT.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #33 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:06 am

Well actually.......

The FJR1300A denotes ABS.
The FJR1300AE has ABS and Electronic shift.

They are not automatics. Every sales person I talked with refered to the AE as an automatic. My next question was "What happens if I pin it, and do nothing else?" The answer is, "nothing." I guess it would blow up eventually, but may run out of gas first.

Back at ya

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #34 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Don't worry Howard. You've got the Crème de la Crème of touring bikes. The biggest problem I see is that most people want one bike to do EVERYTHING. Ain't gonna happen. Keep the LT, then find a smaller sportier bike as your riding level increases to complete your stable.
10-4 on that, Joe. I'm learning that from reading all the discussions on this site. I'd like to hit the lottery then pick up the phone and make some calls to have new bikes (all different) delivered to my front door for long-term test rides.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #35 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:37 am

Triple-digit Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbngb
... The LT will cruise in triple digits all day one or two up with uncompromised comfort and amenities...
I've seen this (high-speed cruising) mentioned several times. Where does one cruise (for 2 minutes, let alone all day) at that speed? I want to try that some time. I've had the LT to 115 mph briefly, but it was a rural two-lane with a long straight stretch -- prime deer-jumps-in-front-of-you territory.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #36 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:44 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Well actually.......

The FJR1300A denotes ABS.
The FJR1300AE has ABS and Electronic shift.
I knew that. Just making sure you're paying attnetion.
post #37 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I've seen this (high-speed cruising) mentioned several times. Where does one cruise (for 2 minutes, let alone all day) at that speed?
Montana, Colorado, Wyoming...just to name a few. But nowhere in Ohio Howard. Unless you're feeling VERY daring. I did zip across Indiana's tollroad at triple-digit speeds whilst pacing two rich guys racing their new Bimmers.
post #38 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 1:18 pm

(Now if Kawasaki takes the current but soon-to-be obsolete ZZR1200's motor and puts that in the Connie, and gives the old girl a facelift...EVERYone will be drooling over her. You mark my words...)

That's what I've been waiting for, Joe, but I can't seem to find any news of that ever happening!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #39 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Quote:
I've seen this (high-speed cruising) mentioned several times. Where does one cruise (for 2 minutes, let alone all day) at that speed? I want to try that some time. I've had the LT to 115 mph briefly, but it was a rural two-lane with a long straight stretch -- prime deer-jumps-in-front-of-you territory.
Uh...West Texas comes to mind.............several hours of uninterupted anything out there!

Marshall, Tx

post #40 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 3:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak

That's what I've been waiting for, Joe, but I can't seem to find any news of that ever happening!
The latest rumor is the tranformation of the ZX14 into the next Connie. WOOHOO!! (if it happens)

Marshall, Tx

post #41 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 4:04 pm

I gotta agree with Meese for all the reasons he stated.

I love the concours for a quick fun ride and back and forth to work.

You can't beat the KLT for the long haul riding pleasure. I can't speak for the FJR, but I've heard great things from people that own one.

Good luck!

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #42 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
The latest rumor is the tranformation of the ZX14 into the next Connie. WOOHOO!! (if it happens)
As exciting as that sounds...it's highly unlikely. To rework the current Connie's frame to accommodate the ZZR1200's powerplant would be MUCH more simple than redesigning everything to accommodate the ZX-12R's or ZX-14's motor. Completely different architecture. Worlds apart!

By the way . . . Don't discount the "WOOHOO" factor of the ZZR1200's motor. Imagine a Connie with 135-140bhp at the rear wheel, outta the box.
post #43 of 80 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Quote:
Spend some time in the Soutwest and you will see what we mean.

Western Texas, New Mexico, AZ and CA east of the Laguna mountains are prime areas for 85+ for hours on end. Been there, done that, often. You will hardly raise an eyebrow of even the LEO's in NM and AZ at 85, since the speed limits on much of the interstates is 75. I had a NM trooper pass me once when I was not watching my rear view mirror, and I was doing nearly 90 by GPS. Needless to say that gave me a little scare, but I did not even slow down, since he did not seem to mind.

Certainly not much of that type of area east of the Mississippi!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #44 of 80 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 4:13 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
How about here:

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #45 of 80 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:00 am

David and Ken: yep, looks like I need to stretch the LT's legs and take her out west. Awesome photo, Ken. Ohio has its own fabulous roads, but of a different sort. (Can you say "Hocking Hills"? -- SE Ohio)

I think doing 85 (or more) in Ohio is a capital crime, according to our friends with the State Highway Patrol.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #46 of 80 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
As exciting as that sounds...it's highly unlikely. To rework the current Connie's frame to accommodate the ZZR1200's powerplant would be MUCH more simple than redesigning everything to accommodate the ZX-12R's or ZX-14's motor. Completely different architecture. Worlds apart!

By the way . . . Don't discount the "WOOHOO" factor of the ZZR1200's motor. Imagine a Connie with 135-140bhp at the rear wheel, outta the box.
I don't see Kaw re-using the existing frame. I see them utilizing the new ZX14 and changing the chain to shaft, raising the bars and sticking a slightly bigger fairing on her. The Connie frame is too old and outdated to be reused. This next one will be a total rework in my opinion.

Marshall, Tx

post #47 of 80 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 8:20 am

Maybe . . . but

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
This next one will be a total rework in my opinion.
And that's probably a very true statement, once I gave it a little more thought. But do you have any idea how difficult it is to work on the ZX-12R and/or ZX-14?! The upper-frame IS the air box!!! Valve jobs are a NIGHTMARE! But not for the ZZR1200 . . . that's what I based my statements on. Maintenance issues.
post #48 of 80 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:01 am

FJR complements LT

I guess I'm one of the really lucky ones. I dont spend my money on much other than motorcycles so I have an '04 FJR, an '05 LT and a '98 KLR650. I commute 50 miles round trip from the Hill Country of Texas into San Antonio and switch off with the bikes. Each is so different that a couple weeks on one then a switch is like getting a new bike! The FJR is a sweetheart though, and I have 27,000 plus on it. I put a Bill Mayer saddle on and a few other farkles but it was not bad stock. I have friends with Connies and they love them, old tech, slow and all. But I would still go with the FJR for the extra $$. (And there are a few low mileage FJRs out there for $8000 or so, some more, some less.)

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #49 of 80 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 2:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I imagine there are a few more low mileage FJR deals out there now that the '06 bikes are imminent. I also imagine the LT's will be in the same boat in about a year or so.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #50 of 80 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

I have to say that I agree with the FJR also. I asked about the Connie vs. the FJR on both the FJR and Connie websites, and the FJR people wouldn't have a Connie. Of the Connie people a significant fraction would upgrade to the FJR if money wasn't an issue.
There is, however, the Triumph Rocket Three to consider, not withstanding that it is kind of a cruiser configuration. However, several of the corespondents to this thread wanted a Harley.

Robin

Robin
Augusta, GA
2002 K1200LT Purple (Mauve)
83 R100RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in