Accessory pricing on BMW website? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 21st, 2010, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Accessory pricing on BMW website?

I'm contemplating the purchase of a new R1200RT and have been trying to research some potential add-ons or accessories on the BMW website. I can find pictures, descriptions, and part numbers, but no prices. Where or how do you normally get pricing for things like valve covers, tank bags, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 22nd, 2010, 6:37 am

Garage
Re: Accessory pricing on BMW website?

FWIW- BMW stands for Bring More Wallet!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #3 of 4 Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebanonRider
I'm contemplating the purchase of a new R1200RT and have been trying to research some potential add-ons or accessories on the BMW website. I can find pictures, descriptions, and part numbers, but no prices. Where or how do you normally get pricing for things like valve covers, tank bags, etc?
Most dealers will offer you a discount (from MSRP) on gear, tank bags, etc., when you purchase the motorcycle or within a time limit (e.g., 30, 45, or 60 days after your purchase). Don't be afraid to ask about it, or you can negotiate the extras you want as a part of the deal - perhaps the dealer will include them for "free". Sometimes BMW North America offers incentives - I got $500 worth of accessories or gear with my K1200GT, which I applied as a discount on a 49 liter top case. Sometimes the dealers themselves will have a special. One local dealer was offering those 49 liter top cases, paint matched (!!) with the purchase of a GT or RT at the end of last summer. I do not know what offers are currently available from BMW NA.

Some dealers offer the parts for purchase on the Internet. You can look them up on their dealer-specific web sites. It helps to know the part numbers. You can see the list prices, but dealers aren't allowed to display discounted prices, even if they offer discounts for Internet purchases. They apply the discount on your order (Chicago BMW is well known for this policy). To get prices, try ASCycles, Max BMW, Chicago BMW or your local dealer's website.

I encourage you to buy from the local dealer - these types of sales are literally what keeps them in business. They are truly small business owners, struggling to make ends meet. Their service and advice, coupled with the active support they provide their local BMW riding community, makes the small premium that you pay worthwhile.

The local dealer where you bought your bike may offer discounts to owners who purchased their motorcycles from that dealer, even long after they bought the bike. Sometimes all you have to do is ask politely. My local dealer recently gave me a discount on a large purchase of parts for home maintenance, for example. (The other local dealer where I didn't buy my motorcycle seems to charge a premium on top of the regular price, LOL! )

I hope this helps answer your questions, and I hope it encourages you to buy from your local dealer, too.

post #4 of 4 Old May 23rd, 2010, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Judging from the response, I must assume that BMW does not publish prices on accessories on their website. Strange, since most of the other major M/C manufactures do (and usually make it fairly easy to explore). I've browsed a couple of the major vendor sites that specialize in BMW, but it would be nice to know what's available OEM. I haven't as yet checked out the Chicago BMW site, but will do some more surfing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in