route/attractions questions for Maine to Niagra trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 10th, 2010, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

route/attractions questions for Maine to Niagra trip

Here is the proposed route for the current bike trip for this summer. Lewiston, ME to Montreal, QB, down to Thousand Islands for the first night. day 2, down through Toronto, ON, and in to Niagra Falls Canada. spend a day or two around there, and then head east through the finger lakes region of NY. Then, head to Stanfordville NY (to visit my daughter) and ride with her in the mountains on a Thursday. Then north into Vermont, and east back into Maine. It is about 1,450 miles. I will be on the '09 LT, and my wife will be on her '07 VStar 1100. I am not planning on setting on any land trip records, 8 or so hours a day will be the norm.

any roads/attractions/must sees along the way? I am attachingf a rough jpeg of the route. all input is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me to Niagra.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	26597  

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 1:50 am

Re: route/attractions questions for Maine to Niagra trip

Definitely get off I 90 coming across NY and go down around Watkins Glen/Ithaca - beautiful country - lakes, spectacular waterfalls, wineries - great camping at Treman State Park about 5 miles south of Ithaca on Rt 13 (hike the gorge in the state park). Then, consider taking rt 79 east t 206 and through the Catskills to Stanfordville - almost any route will be great.

In Vermont, take 22A up through the Champlain Valley, and one of the 'Gaps" over the Green Mts. -- Rt 17 (Appalachian Gap) or my current fave , Rt 73 from 22A to Brandon and up over Brandon Gap then work your way south on 100 and eastward toward Maine.

I could go on and on - Like a ride through the Adirondacks via Lake Placid and through the Lake Champlain Islands or the Charlotte, VT to Essex, NY ferry across Champlain.

Have a great ride.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #3 of 6 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 5:24 am

Forget I-90
ride 20 just South of 90....you wont be sorry.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 6:23 am

I was out in Maine last fall.
I took the Passaconaway Highway (112) thru New Hampshire. then over to Burlington VT, Lake Placid NY, eventually staying along Lake Ontario - Oswego - Rochester - Niagra falls.
A great ride, scenic, and not interstate boring.
Looks like a great trip.
At Niagra falls - do the Boat tour. Even though it was $60 a person, well worth it. And we generally don't like "Tourist Traps".

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Hello Mark

We bike vacationed the Niagara Falls area last summer . I strongly recommend staying one night at the Sheridan Falls View Ontario (high view room) the view is awesome ! . Parking in Niagara Falls Ontario is a pain and not free $24 CAN per day at the hotel we stayed at WTF?. Priceline.com or some other such can save some $ . Also would recommend taking the Erie Canal boat ride / tour out of LockPort NY maybe 30 miles from Niagara Falls.

Best Regards
Bob G
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Forget I-90
ride 20 just South of 90....you wont be sorry.
20 is better than the pike for sure. I personally would stay north in MA and take RT 2 (The Mohawk Trail) across the state. much less crowded!

Dave Oehler
2005 LT Dark Graphite - "K-Ship"

BMW-MOA 121422

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in