Planning a Trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Planning a Trip

My wife and I along with another couple are planning my 60th birthday for August of this year, We are from the South East Coast and are looking to fly out west rent bikes and tour the Rockies, Grand Tetons, and/or maybe the black hills. We ride an LT and our friends ride an ultra and also a GW as a "spare". I did a 1500 mile Iron Butt run a couple of summers ago with three other guys (and we toured the 4 corners/North Rim/Red Canyon) on the LT but that is not what this trip is about.

Any information on places to rent an LT or HD, suggestions on where to go or where not to go would be great. We can figure on at least 7 days. Fly into say Denver or Salt Lake or who knows, do a wide loop and fly out of the same or who knows. I would prefer to rent an LT but what ever will work two up on tour. It would take too long to ride ours out there. Did that once and will do it again with the guys...

Thank you for any thoughts or info.

Gene

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Re: Planning a Trip

Highly recommend the following:
Bear Tooth Highway, Yellowstone area, Grand Tetons, Montana, Glacier National Park- Going to the Sun Road. Rode from Ky out there on an LT and Wow.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 5:06 pm

I don't know if BMW dealers will rent bikes. Can't hurt to make a few phone calls to the areas you're interested in and find out their policies. Most every H-D dealership has a rental department. Eagle Rider is a multi-location rental firm. They have different brands, BMW among them. I've checked them out for pricing. They aren't cheap.

Sounds like one heck of a trip! Great birthday present.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Can't help you with rentals but my son and I rode in the Rockies two years ago and loved it, last year we rode the Black Hills and it was just as good. This year will be Glacier for me as a solo rider, he got married...... but he and I will do a week somewhere!

My personal opinion is that you need to scale down your destinations and focus on the ride. You could easily spend a week in Colorado and not see everything. You could easily spend a week starting in the Blackhills and and ride into Yellowstone/Tetons and fly out of Denver. You are looking at a lot of miles with your itinerary for one week and I'd hate to see you rush through beautiful areas just to get to another one.

Have you done the Lake Superior Circle Tour yet? If not, put that one on your list, we did that one three years ago, FANTASTIC! Your could fly into MPLS and rent bikes, starting and ending in MPLS and I can guarantee that you will have a great time.

Jon
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Last summer my wife and I rode west on our LT from central KY. We went to Jackson, WY first, then up to Yellowstone, over to Cody, over Beartooth to Red Lodge, MT, across Montana, down to Buffalo, WY, over to Devil's Tower, then to Rapid City to CCR. While there we rode all over the Black Hills, Sturgis, Deadwood, Custer City, Spearfish Canyon, Badlands, Wall Drug, Mt. Rushmore and much more. We were gone a month. An incredible trip! 4350 miles. We were out there last 2 weeks of August and first 2 weeks of Sept. Weather was perfect. Lows in 60's; highs in high 70's. In my opinion, you will have more fun if you take time to enjoy all that is out there. Believe me, 7 days will fly by. I would choose either the Tetons/Yellowstone/Cody/Red Lodge package or the Black Hills area, but not both in the time you have indicated you have. In addition to taking in all the beauty, you will have road construction to contend with in WY. That slowed us down a lot.
We fell in love with Dubois which is in the Wind River Canyon area. We are going back in May/June for a month, only this time we are staying in Dubois as our base and riding in surrounding areas. Can't help much on bike rentals. There are rentals in Jackson if you go to WY; in SD Sturgis BMW is a nice dealership and may be able to help. Good luck and have fun.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 7:22 pm
Super Moderator

Eaglerider.com is probably the largest bike rental place in the nation. Most of their bikes are unlimited mileage rentals which sounds like would be a need on your trip. A lot of places will cap at 150 - 175 miles per day. They are mostly HD but do carry BMW, Ducati and Honda at some locations.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Many Thanks for the great information. Yes I doubt we do the Tetons/Yellowstone area and the Black Hills on this run. That will prpbably be a guys run later. I will be doing a lot of calling and emailing this week. My Bride is tops in wanting to do this. We myy very well be gone more than a week. When my friends and I did the 1500 mile in less than 36 hours IB run part of the plan was we did not have anything planned beyond the 1500 mile mark other than to just ride and find places that took credit cards. We had the very best time that you could imagine and found it very hard to 'make the turn for home' . We did 5,000 miles in 9 days. My bride would not do that kind of riding...

She and I went to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Brice Canyon last year renting a car in Vegas and saw a lot of Nevada and Colorado and some of Utah.

We are very excited and look forward to a good time. Any additional thoughts or comments are most welcome.

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in