Another BMW dealer closing it's doors...sort of. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Another BMW dealer closing it's doors...sort of.

I had been in contact with BMW of Lousiville about details for purchasing a new RT when I get back from my current deployment. I frequently received e-mails from the owner, Jeff Cooke. Lately, I haven't heard from him in awhile him so I asked a friend of mine to check into it for me. This is what he found out:
------------
But, for the record, we have finally closed on the sale of the Breckinridge Street property to the Downtown Scholar House and its partners. It was supposed to have closed at the end of October and we were to have moved to Frankfort Avenue immediately thereafter.

When they couldn't close, we had to postpone leasing the Frankfort Avenue site and then that property went under a contract for sale. A December closing date on our property also came and went so I decided to hold off looking for a new site until I was sure the real estate deal would actually close.

In the mean time we were approached by HD of Louisville regarding a possible purchase of the BMW dealership. Being of the school that everything (other than my honor) is for sale, we negotiated a deal for the sale of the BMW and Vespa dealerships. The sale is subject to factory approvals which are pending. We expect to receive the approvals before the end of March and then we will complete the transaction and move the dealership to Arthur Street.

I will be engaged by them for 3 months to oversee the transition and after that will evaluate what comes next for me.

HD of Louisville is owned by the Martin Group out of Bowling Green, KY. They are primarily an auto group but they own HD of Bowling Green as well as HD of Louisville. They are looking to expand their powersports involvement. I have known their motorcycle management team for a while as a result of wholesaling some HD trade-ins and they are first rate guys. I have absolutely no hesitation about having them take over the reins. They have a top flight organization and will provide a very nice facility for BMW Motorcycles. And, interesting enough, due to their size, they operate seven (7) days a week.

This is not my farewell address but it should bring you up to date.

Jeff Cooke
BMWLOU
-----------
I'm not sure what this will mean for BMW owners in or around Kentucky, but I thought you all might want to know.
I supposed I should be glad that there's still going to be a BMW dealer in Ky. Anyone else know of a BMW dealership being under the same roof as HD? I can see how it would give a boost to the HD dealers profits. They really don't have anything in their line of bikes that compares to BMW. Especially with the loss of Buell.

Thoughts??

Casey

Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.
2011 RT Ostra Grey Low Suspension model

Last edited by Casey; Feb 24th, 2010 at 11:36 am. Reason: spelling errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Re: Another BMW dealer closing it's doors...sort of.

I think this will be good for the BMW owners in KY/IN/OH. HD of Louisville has been around a long time and has a good reputation. At least, they do with the HD owners I know. And the store being open 7 days a week is a definite benefit.

The BMW store in Lousiville was in a neat old building and I hate to see them leave, but I wish them good luck and look forward to doing business with the new owners in the (gettting nearer) future.

Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.
2011 RT Ostra Grey Low Suspension model
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 8:19 pm

Thanks for your service to our county - God Bless

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 8:44 pm

The HD and BMW mix did not work very well in Syracuse, NY. From what I was told the HD sales people were bad mouthing BMW's on the floor. BMW reacted by showing up one day and picked up everything BMW. My own experience with them is I went there for an inspection and was told they only do them on Thursday (it was Tuesday afternoon IIRC). I was told I could show up and wait, and "If we are able to get to you we will inspect your bike. From the back corner came a voice saying, "trust me, we will not get to you"

Hope it works out better for your area!

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 8:48 pm

If ya buy, it will help validate the new owners' decision...

Thanks for your service!
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 9:19 am

My Dad always told me not to go to the best steak house in town and order fish. I sincerely hope that this analogy doesn't prove true when BMW moves into the HD dealership.

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 12:54 pm

This can't be good for BMW and it's customers, considering HD treated Buell like a red headed step child and we know how that relationship ended. Granted this is not a case of HD buying BMW, rather a HD dealership buying a BMW dealer, but I find it hard to imagine the HD sales staff will put BMW in the best light.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 8:41 am

If you ever went in to a HD dealership and asked a sales person about a Buell typically he didn't have a clue.how to respond and represent the brand. They certainly will not connect with the "motorcyclist" versus "biker" mentality that will be required to represent BMW.

Basically the sales staff at BMW of Louisville was a staff of one so I don't think many capable people will transfer over to HD. Good Luck!

Ken Norris
Union, Kentucky
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300
Beemer-less....for now!
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Exact same thing happened here to BMW of Colorado Springs. Now called Pikes Peak Motor Sports, owned by Pikes Peak Harley Davidson and are housed in the same building, albeit via a different entrance.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 6:25 pm

I have never heard bad mouthing either way at the Mischler's Harley-Davidson & BMW dealership(s) in Beaver Dam, WI. Have not bough a bike there, but they seem to get my money every time I get near there for jackets or parts, etc. Nice place if you are in the neighborhood. They are just off US 151 north of the city of Beaver Dam. Wi 33 comes in just south of there, and its about 1/3 of the way between Madison and Green Bay.

Although you do hear when the H-D's pull up, but not the beemers.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #11 of 12 Old Mar 10th, 2010, 7:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby60
My Dad always told me not to go to the best steak house in town and order fish. I sincerely hope that this analogy doesn't prove true when BMW moves into the HD dealership.
I totally agree with your father, but until they start building bikes at dealerships, it's a poor analogy.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old Mar 10th, 2010, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper
I totally agree with your father, but until they start building bikes at dealerships, it's a poor analogy.
Not to mention, ya want that rare, medium or well done..

oh and ya get two sides.......

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in