A BMW is a BMW is a BMW would smell as sweet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 15th, 2010, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

Question A BMW is a BMW is a BMW would smell as sweet

OK sorry for the title but it made you look.

I am looking at a new BMW come this spring and have been doing research on the internet. I am having difficulty trying to make my decision. I have owned, in the past, a K100RS, an R1100RT and a K1200LT.

I have decided that the K1200LT is more machine than I need. I never ride two-up; my wife rides her own machine. Plus the K1200LT is a lot of weight, even with the prospects of a new machine coming out this year I still feel this is not my type of ride.

I am looking toward the new R1200RT or the new R1200GSA or the K1300GT for my next machine. My problem is that I have not yet had the opportunity to ride any of these machines; I realize no one has ridden the latest RT or GSA but you may have ridden the 2009 versions.

I really do not see myself riding off road to some foreign land, I would maybe do another trip to AK but I have been there twice already once on a H-D bagger and once on a RT so I really do not think I need a GS/GSA for just the one trip but I would like to try and understand the immense fascination with the GS/GSA machines. Do they really handle that much better than the RT or GT? What makes them the leading seller for BMW?

The GT looks very interesting but I am not sure of the leg position, more specifically the knee bend. The wind protection also does not look as good as the RT. The GT also has a higher maintenance cost due to water cooling and all that goes along with that feature. However, I like the Hp to weight of the machine and the looks. I believe the handling would be on par with, if not better than the RT.

Having owned an older RT I kind of have an idea of what that machine would be like. I understand that BMW has made huge improvements to the machine since I had one in 1996 but that should mean it is even better than what I had in my old machine.

My question is do any of you have experience with the recent crop RT/GT/GSA machines? Is there any thing I need to know about one of these that you only learn by spending days in the saddle? I know I will get some of my questions answered this spring with some test rides of the various models in question but a test ride is not likely to be from central Illinois to Yuma, AZ and back in a week, which is the kind of input I am seeking.

Can you help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 15th, 2010, 11:31 pm

Re: A BMW is a BMW is a BMW would smell as sweet

Well.... so many things to consider...

If you've owned before, I gotta say I can't add any more than that.. Go test ride a few.. and see what stirs ya.

Then you might look into rentals.. perhaps that would help .. if it was under your roof a few days.. This is a hard, but fun decision...
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 16th, 2010, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: A BMW is a BMW is a BMW would smell as sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Well.... so many things to consider...

If you've owned before, I gotta say I can't add any more than that.. Go test ride a few.. and see what stirs ya.

Then you might look into rentals.. perhaps that would help .. if it was under your roof a few days.. This is a hard, but fun decision...
That is my problem exactly. The other problem is the nearest dealership is about 125 miles one way so when I get there I need to have it pre-arranged so I can get in a couple of rides. A couple of buddies just purchased 2009 RTs so I am sure I will get a ride on those once the weather breaks here in central Illinois. The rental is a good idea but funds will not allow me to travel to a warmer climate and do a test ride.

Thanks for your input! Your right it is a difficult but very FUN situation.

post #4 of 5 Old Feb 16th, 2010, 9:15 am

The GT is more cramped than the Rt. When I sat on one in 06 I didn't like it at all.

I'm 6'1" and it was too forward and knees too bent up for me. But that's just me.

If you want all out speed and power then it's the GT. or S1000RR. You know what the RT will be like. I hear the newer ones are faster and smoother. My R1100RT is just fine for me.

The GS is probably similar to the RT with less wind protection and the ability to go a little more off road. Just a little more of a combat version of the R bike. More suspension travel and less tupperware to ruin in a fall...

You sound like you want an RT...No cruise on the GS..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 16th, 2010, 9:38 am

I've looked at a lot of the same things you are considering. The great thing about BMW is that no matter what you decide, there isn't a bad choice.

The GT is freakin' awesome. Its fast! It also is very long which makes a noticable difference in a parking lot. In normal street riding, you may not notice a difference in cornering, but if you ever do a track day, you'll see that the long wheel base is a real handicap in the corners as compared to either the GS or RT. I love the GT but for me, its too much plastic (I am clumsy), too wide a turn in a parking lot and not as fun at the track.

The RT is smooth, comfortable and feels like it rides itself. I really like the RT. Its great at the track, in parking lot or just on a long cruise or commute. Its probably the most practical of the batch. I don't own one.

The GS/GSA has something that is hard (impossible?) to quantify. Its just fun. Its as fast as an RT and the Adventure has almost as much wind protection. At the track, its amazing in a corner and will cause the owners of Jap bikes to hang their heads in shame. It turns heads on the road. I love sitting up over small cars. I love the seating position. I love the leg room. The RT feels a little cramped while the GSA allows a bit of stretch.

I also love the top opening boxes. I use my boxes daily and top opening is WAY better than side opening if you're hauling a laptop back and forth to work.

Did I mention I'm a bit clumsy? If the GSA has a parking lot tip-over, there is no need to cry. Sure the crash bars will be scraped, but then it just looks like you are an adventure touring guy instead of a clutz.

The only down side to the GS/GSA is the lack of cruise control. I hate that. I'm amazed the BMW hasn't figured out that there are a lot of us who might enjoy the "touring" aspect of an adventure touring bike. That is the only thing to keeps it out of the realm of perfection in my opinion.

I hope this helps. I know its not specific to the 2010 models you're contemplating, but everything that can be said about the 09 applies to the 10 as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in