Looks like I won't be riding again! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 12th, 2010, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Looks like I won't be riding again!

The past few years I've been lucky here in Georgia and have ridden pretty much all through the winter pretty much whenever I wanted. Now, the "Magic Carpet" has been sitting on the tender and not started since 12/20/09.

The weather on weekends has just not cooperated at all this year.

The attached picture just adds to it! And this was only after 2 hours in the middle of the day this time! I'm really starting to feel for the folks who live north of the Mason-Dixon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1537.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	26322  

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 12th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Re: Looks like I won't be riding again!

WOW white wet stuff. ONly rode from Dallas to Fairfield texas in snow before.. it was 6 to 8 inches of the dry stuff so I was lucky and a little crazy as well.

Never went down.. slow riding tho... took a long time to get home tho..

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 12th, 2010, 5:18 pm
jsb

With all the snow here in Dallas, I'm on the tender also. Good time to do a little work on both bikes. By next week, should be all good, and I'll be riding the commute again.

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 12th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Well, we got it here too. After arguing with my supervisor that runs my 2nd shift for an hour that we were not going to shut down our operation for a little snow, for the 3rd time this year, I geared up and rode home in the winter wonderland.

That a guy would argue with me about the weather while my bike is parked outside under a 1/4" of the white stuff amazes me.

And for those that like to discuss air pressures vs temps, the valve core was depressed for a few seconds before I hit the rode. Can't ride slick rodes on frozen rocks!

Enjoy winter as it should be

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 12th, 2010, 6:43 pm

No fresh snow here in the last couple of weeks.............odd............roads are still frozen....................this evening it is still just at 32 degrees........spring fever is settling in...................snow expected later tonight and tomorrow.........lows predicted to mid teens with a good showing of "The Evil One"...........you know; starts with a "W"........the word we don't speak of for fear of retribution..........
post #6 of 10 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Well at least it is pretty to look at.

I grew up here and it still kills me that people interviewed on the news say things like "I'm from Chicago (or NY or insert a northern city or state) and the plows and trucks would be out by now. I haven't seen any on the road. Why don't they have them down here? It's so backwards." Well we get snow so infrequently why bother with the major expense and upkeep?

The best one was the guy a few weeks ago on the news who said he moved from Chicago and grew up driving in snow. Then he said "In the south, it's ice and NOT snow. I don't care where you grew up, you can't drive on ice!"

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #7 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 5:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
I'm really starting to feel for the folks who live north of the Mason-Dixon.
That scene looks like a nice spring day here!

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

post #8 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 8:01 am

I rode yesterday and today. My bike is a mess. Salt spray is on every forward facing surface, and even a few that I thought were protected. My shins are coated with white crap. I'll take that any day over letting it sit though.
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 9:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
Well at least it is pretty to look at.

I grew up here and it still kills me that people interviewed on the news say things like "I'm from Chicago (or NY or insert a northern city or state) and the plows and trucks would be out by now. I haven't seen any on the road. Why don't they have them down here? It's so backwards." Well we get snow so infrequently why bother with the major expense and upkeep?

The best one was the guy a few weeks ago on the news who said he moved from Chicago and grew up driving in snow. Then he said "In the south, it's ice and NOT snow. I don't care where you grew up, you can't drive on ice!"
I agree. It is pretty to look at. Puts things in a different perspective.
I'm also from Chicago and I know ice gets my respect!!!

Darryl
2000 K1200LT, Champagne, "The First Lady"
2009 DL650, Silver(Fastest),"WeeStrom"
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (gone)
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 1:50 am

On Sunday morning (Valentine's Day), my wife joined me as pillion as we rode from our home in Southern California to a cafe on the Long Beach Marina. It was a 20 minute ride there, a nice breakfast, and a 30 minute return.

What is so special about that? Well, nothing, except that it has been 18 years since my wife turned in her helmet. It was something she felt compelled to do, even though riding together was something she enjoyed. In the interim we have been raising our children. They are now growing into young adults, and so she is ready.

She had a great time, which was the important part, and she is looking forward to our next ride together. It will be baby steps, for sure. However, it was a fine start to be sharing one of my passions with My Love again. Sorry to rub it in for you snowbound folk, but it was a truly wonderful day, with the promise of more to come.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in