Dealer Support - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: Dealer Support
Is your dealer OK? 14 63.64%
How far do you travel to get there? 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Dealer Support

I'm wondering what the state of the dealer network. I heard nine dealers closed the door this year.

Several are on the BMW NA under performing list.

I know it's tough out there. It's a shame that BMW has the potential to break into the Mainstream market with the S1000RR and other bikes on the horizon.

Anyway What is the state of your local dealer?

How far away do you have to travel to get there?

Are there any "independent" shops that work on BMW's in your area?

Sparkchaser1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Garage
Re: Dealer Support

You may want to revisit your poll options.What are you asking?

Is your dealer ok? Does the stealer make money? finacially viable? service up to par? knowledge base? Out of the hospital doped up on drugs?

How far away do you have to travel to get there? simple button, travel -100 miles or over 100 miles...? right around the corner... Do you travel to the next closest stealer in order to get "better" service from another dealer?

Independant shops? Yea, mine and a few others and more importantly THIS SITE!

Interesting topic given the state of the Union, but lacking in real information....

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Last edited by shoswell; Feb 6th, 2010 at 7:32 pm.
post #3 of 17 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 4:13 pm

I voted for how far do you have to go to get there. I have a choice of three.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 17 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Sorry but your poll makes no sense But to answer what I think you are asking.

Lone Star BMW in My Dealer, They are less then 10 miles away & the best Dealer in Texas & in the top 3 in the whole USA (In my opinion)

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 17 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 9:34 pm

It may be a little disconcerning for some, to see the fallout of more BMW dealers in this recession economy. However, some of us have benefited from this. I was cruising around on Craigslist and I located a BMW Master Certified Technician less than two miles from my home. Before the local BMW dealer closed, I had to drive a quarter mile further and pay twice the hourly repair rate. If I need parts now, I have to drive like 30 miles to the next closest dealer, but I feel I've gained more than I lost in the exchange.
post #6 of 17 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 10:44 pm

When I had a local dealer it was ok. There has not been one in Kansas for about two years now. My closest dealer is in Oklahoma City. I have only had the bike serviced there once and they did a fine job.
post #7 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2010, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Yea I goofed my poll. Sorry.

I don't know how to fix it or cancel it.

Anyway after the post yesterday I found out my local BMW shop Twin City BMW in Savoy IL is closed.

Now I have a choice of

Chicago BMW
Gina's BMW
Indianapolis
Grass Roots BMW Cape Giradeau

Even though Grass Roots is the far away I know they have a great reputation.

If I could get some help with the poll, or turn it off, that would be great.

Thanks
post #8 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2010, 9:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry you lost your local dealer, but all is not lost. Chicago BMW will sell you parts for a 20% discount and with the help available on this site, there is very little on a BMW motorcycle that you can't do yourself with just basic mechanical aptitude. It's intimidating at first, but don't be afraid to start removing tupperware and wade into the deep end. In the long run, you may find the dealer closing was a blessing with all the saved money you now have for farkles.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #9 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser1200
Anyway after the post yesterday I found out my local BMW shop Twin City BMW in Savoy IL is closed.

Now I have a choice of

Chicago BMW
Gina's BMW
Indianapolis

Even though Grass Roots is the far away I know they have a great reputation.

If I could get some help with the poll, or turn it off, that would be great.

Thanks
Indianapolis is really good too if you are looking for a master tech to take care of the bike. Phil used to work for Cleveland BMW then moved back to Indianapolis.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #10 of 17 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser1200

Now I have a choice of

Chicago BMW
Gina's BMW
Indianapolis

Thanks
holy crap!! Twin City closed? Do you know what happened?
I guess you are lucky if there is a BMW dealer in your state these days......

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #11 of 17 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 4:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The dealer closest to me (BMW Motorcycles of Detroit) has had 4 sales managers since I bought my bike in September 2008. I don't know how they stay in business.

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #12 of 17 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy11
The dealer closest to me (BMW Motorcycles of Detroit) has had 4 sales managers since I bought my bike in September 2008. I don't know how they stay in business.
I was in there a couple weekends ago (they were very busy) and it was good to see that Angie bit the dust - she didn't NO JACK about BMW or motorcycles in general.

Don the master mechanic has been around since the place opened and is excellent.

You can always ride out to Southeast BMW there in Canton = Excellent all around dealer for sales, parts & service.
post #13 of 17 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 7:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

For me Chicago BMW is just in the wrong place and Barrington BMW I have yet to hear a good recommendation. I'll ride to Grand Rapids BMW to get something done that I can't do myself, if I can wait for it. I think it's a very good shop, but then I've just used them for tire changes. Fortunately in the last 3 years I haven't needed any major work done (knock wood). The dealer I originally bought from has gone into organic gardening.
I've heard very good reports about Kurt's Motorwerks in Niles, MI., but have yet to need his services.
I should probably hold a tech session this spring/summer. The valves and brake fluid are on the list this year.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #14 of 17 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
You may want to revisit your poll options.What are you asking?

Is your dealer ok? Does the stealer make money? finacially viable? service up to par? knowledge base? Out of the hospital doped up on drugs?

:
I really can't stand when people use the term "stealer" or "stealership" when discussing dealerships. We're talking about American owned small businesses. Most are family owned and operated. They are not part of some huge corporate cabal that is out to swindle you out of your cash. They are looking to provide goods and services in a market based system where both parties benefit.

I cut a lot of slack to anybody who can provide employment and benefit the community in which they operate. There may be times when a dealership isn't perfect, but please don't try to stigmatize the local guys with sweeping generalizations.
post #15 of 17 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 2:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
For me Chicago BMW is just in the wrong place

Jer
I hear you Jer. Chicago is a bit out of the way, but I have used them several times. If my bike has to stay overnight, I just hike it about 7 blocks and jump onto the "el" train and ride it dowtown and then change to whatever suburban train goes your way. Kind of a pain but I kind of enjoy travelling around the city on public trans once in a while to keep my "urban" skills sharp.
Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #16 of 17 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 7:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
I hear you Jer. Chicago is a bit out of the way, but I have used them several times. If my bike has to stay overnight, I just hike it about 7 blocks and jump onto the "el" train and ride it dowtown and then change to whatever suburban train goes your way. Kind of a pain but I kind of enjoy travelling around the city on public trans once in a while to keep my "urban" skills sharp.
Keith
Yeah, I admit that I don't have ANY urban skills. I will ride to Lou Mitchell's very early on a Sunday morning, but that's about it. In and out!
I will probably need to use Chi-BMW someday. David Adler (RIP) often suggested to me an independent on Western Ave. that was also close to public transport. Doing that, to me, is like adding insult to the injury of a broken bike.

Hey Keith, how about a tech session this spring???

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #17 of 17 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 7:24 am

www.motoworkschicago.com
1901 S. Western Ave. Chicago
Some kind of tech session might be good...........

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
1988 Concours

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in