Advice appreciated/new ride on the horizon - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

Advice appreciated/new ride on the horizon

Greetings from the frozen Tundra of the great mid west.

I'm in the market for one last bike, this will be it as I turn 65 next month. I've been looking at bikes diligently since last fall when the riding season ended. I'm currently on a VTX 1300R which has been a wonderful bike, I've personalized it so it's kind of a little tourer that has served me very well. However, I am ready to move onto to a real touring bike as being on the road is one of my greatest joys.

It's down to a Honda Gold Wing, Victory Vision and BMW 1200LT. I just found this forum this afternoon and I'd simply like to hear your ideas and suggestions.

I ride solo 100% of the time, my wife has no interest in riding but she encourages me to keep riding. I'm 6'2" and in good shape, I work out every day (loving retirement) and had my first bike in 1970 so I have lots of miles under the tires. All of my bikes have been Japanese and I've had great luck, I'm not afraid of European bikes but I'm still reluctant to own an American bike

If you don't mind, share with me your suggestions.

Thanks.
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Re: Advice appreciated/new ride on the horizon

Welcome aboard Jon,
Ride them all and buy the one that fits the best to your needs. We are a little biased here towards the LT. Just make sure you take all 3 bikes through some twisty roads and the answer will be clear. The LT really likes the higher rpms so keep them up in the fun range...

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:37 pm

As much as I love the LT, I gotta chime in on this one as you have said its for you.
Man oh man is the LT a joy single..
But so IS the GT
AND the RT
lol and the GS..
Have I covered it?

I know there is alot of choices and I probably didnt help much..
OK I am undecided, ride em all. LOL
THe big girl has my heart strings, but the others have a certain feel as well.

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 8:07 am Thread Starter

Haughty--
Tell me more about the GT and RT. I still looking longingly at the GS Adventure .......
post #5 of 19 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 9:30 am

I would suggest you consider the RT and GT if you only ride solo, and maybe the new Ducati Multistrada or Kawi C14 or the new Honda VFR when they make a touring version.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #6 of 19 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:07 am

Head over to Gina's BMW in Iowa City and test ride an LT or RT or whatever. I would think that the RT would be better for solo riding but that is just me as I went from an RT to an 800 because I like light weight but I do think about a new RT again??? And I even look fondly at an LT but they are so big and heavy! Enjoy the new BMW and then join us for the BMW International Rally in Redmond Oregon this Summer.
post #7 of 19 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:39 am
Sit

I was considering the Wing or LT for my next bike. As luck would have it, my wife bought me an LT. I love it!! It is parked in my garage along side my GS. The GS is now MY bike. I dont know if she will ever ride on it again and it is just too fun and tourquey, don't see getting rid of it. It is the bike I will take out for fun on the weekends and spirited touring rides single. The LT is now OUR bike so any time she wants to go, she can jump on the back and we can get there in comfort and style.

Ride them all, see which fits your size and then style of riding. Have fun!
post #8 of 19 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:48 am

Talking Re: Advice appreciated/new ride on the horizon

For me the RT has it alll,but when I want to ride the dirt I'll use the GSA.I got such a good deal on both.Tried a GW and a Street Glide,no contest(try a Harley on dirt).Just my 2 cents worth.

Vic Purvis NB4T
07RT

Alabaster,Al.
post #9 of 19 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Jon,
A couple of thoughts in addition to all that has been said.

It does really boil down to what type of rider you are, what is important to you when riding and what is your preferred routes:

1. What type of rider- when you hit the twisties, do you tend to tighten the chin strap, get ready to shift weight on the pegs and crank up the RPM'S? If so, look at the LT, RT or Gold Wing. Do you like long sweepers where you just sit back, listen to the motor and enjoy the ride? If so, consider the Vision.

2. What is important to you- are you planning some extended touring trips? Do you ride regardless of what the weatherman says? If so, consider the extra rider protection and technical features provided by the LT or Gold Wing (i.e. ABS, HID lighting, heated seats and grips, etc.)

3. What are your preferred routes- do you tend to stick with the highways to make the most distance in a day? The LT and Gold Wing can really eat the asphalt in total comfort. Do you prefer to take off without a map and wherever you end up is fine? Do you carry your own camping gear and prefer the campsites that are off the beaten path? Dirt or gravel roads, no problem? You may prefer the GS adventure tourer, especially since all your riding will be solo.

These are just a few things to think about before making your purchase, but hopefully this gets you started on really considering what YOU like about riding. Good luck and remember if a dealer won't allow a test ride, MOVE ON TO ANOTHER DEALER.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 19 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Well the above really said it well.
I really like the ability to eat up miles.. the LT for me is KOTR. I cannot say enough words about eating the miles. First ride for me on this thing was a two day 1587 mile sortie from Grand rapids , Mich. to Spring , Tx. yeh I was sore, But Im over it now..I was ready to g out the next day and I did!.
Jpegs,or highway pegs, My legs have a hard time adjusting to that for over 30 minutes at a time... But we can go back to the regular pegs... Ive never tried the floorboards like other members here but most have really liked em. Well worth the 4bills for comfort. or so I am told, Time will tell when I can afford it...

WHen I ride the Mountains, My thoughts are I would eat these things up.. I have dragged center stand and pegs on the twisties... First time its done, you will remind yourself to put the balls of your feet on the peg itself instead of your foot arch.. No surprises then,. Man is it fun..
Bike feels like it is riding on magnetic rails....JUst take it easy and enjoy... (disclaimer)

Gas mileage- 45 is normal for me. your mileage may vary.
WInd protection, pretty good for me, If I dont like it, I just raise and lower it to suit me at the speed....If you ride in the cold, a set off out advertiser- 12voltclothing.com is one and so is Gerbings. You will be surprised how mush better off riding in the cold can be..
Maintainence- well depend on what year you get. I have been told mine was one of the years to be worried about and I have checked it alot.. Just a battery and regular maintainence. SOme possible problems are online- clutch slave , rear drive.. DOnt want to scare ya off, But I am happy with mine..

There are SO MANY good people here on this forum, wealth Of information and I could continue on and on..

Now for short jaunts, 300 to 400 runs, (cause I have been too slow to buy an aftermarket seat)
the RT is really a nice way around. It has the handling, and keeping the revs in the 4500 to 5000 k range and just take it easy- it will slice up territory faster than Patton with a bad case Of gas and the next rest area is twenty tanks away...

oh the GT-- ridden One, WANTS one badly, but with a sweettttt stable of girls right now, how can I go wrong?

THE GS- sweet dirty fun, said it before say it again... It will SCoot for me... I can scare myself bit on it.. I can scare myself on the GT twice as hard....
Have others that have the GT in their stable to comment on that one..

Thanks and enjoy your search.. take your time...

I am member of the Turtle club.. Are you?

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

2001 BMW K1200LT
2007 BMW R 1200 GS

post #11 of 19 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Enjoy The Ride

The LT does protect you very well in bad weather. It is the only touring bike I have ever rode so I can't say anything about the other bikes. I ride solo 99% of the time. The wife when she does ride is good for only about one hour at most. So far this year I have drove a car once & as far as I'm concerned the LT is just fine in all types of traffic.

Buy the Clymer manual and do the work you are comfortable with & others will help you with the more difficult work. My wife saw me riding into the garage a little bit ago and took these pic's of my LT & me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RTE Texas 2010 097.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	815.1 KB
ID:	26095   Click image for larger version

Name:	RTE Texas 2010 098.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	781.8 KB
ID:	26096   Click image for larger version

Name:	RTE Texas 2010 099.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	851.1 KB
ID:	26097  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 19 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Wonderful replies, thank you so much! I will be going to the IMS show in MPLS next week and will make my decision shortly thereafter.

Jon
post #13 of 19 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
The LT does protect you very well in bad weather. It is the only touring bike I have ever rode so I can't say anything about the other bikes. I ride solo 99% of the time. The wife when she does ride is good for only about one hour at most. So far this year I have drove a car once & as far as I'm concerned the LT is just fine in all types of traffic.

Buy the Clymer manual and do the work you are comfortable with & others will help you with the more difficult work. My wife saw me riding into the garage a little bit ago and took these pic's of my LT & me.

Dave since WHen do your bugs wear White Coats? There everywhere!

Dr.Suess-
-

2001 BMW K1200LT
2007 BMW R 1200 GS

post #14 of 19 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 1:00 pm

At 6'2" and solo only, you are a perfect fit for the R1200RT (boxer) or K1300GT (inline 4 cyl). Both are amazing bikes. The RT is used worldwide by many, many LEOs. When we went to the F1 races in Barcelona last year, checking out the policia was like a museum trip of RTs - 1100s, 1150s, and 1200s. All white / hi-vis yellow or orange and LOTS of KMs on them.

It depends on your riding. Both are comparable for 90% of us so far as handling in the twistys go, and both are comfortable for the long haul. The RT has the 2 cyl opposed twin (boxer) that has lots of low end torque and 110 HP - same HP, but more torque in 2010 models. The GT has the new array of hand controls and 170HP. Likes the higher revs a bit more than the RT. The GT also has ASC available, which is really great for rainy days (or track days). Both have partically integrated ABS - slight squeeze on the "front" brake lever applies balanced ABS braking to both front and rear.

Must haves -
Package with heated seats, grips, enhanced computer functions
imho - ESA
You may need bar risers. I found the ones that move the bars "up and back" 1" let me sit up just a bit straighter.
Add later - your choice of aftermarket seats ( I prefer Kon-Tour. Great seat, but especially good for the hot days here in Texas)

Good Luck with your selection. Either way you can't miss.

-Brian

Brian Vandivere
2008 RT

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

post #15 of 19 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 3:29 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by haughty
Dave since WHen do your bugs wear White Coats? There everywhere!
Every now and then them little white bugs from up north invade the south. They don't last long down here though. I probably should have drove the car to work instead of trusting the high paid weather guessers. The storm got here early & it's to far to walk home from work.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #16 of 19 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbloch
I would suggest you consider the RT and GT if you only ride solo........
I agree 100%. After decades of riding Harleys, the combination of comfort, amazing nimbleness, and performance the RT provides has really won me over. You don't need the biggest, heaviest class of bike to tour comfortably as long as bikes like the RT and GT exist.

Long live the sport-touring class!

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

post #17 of 19 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Let's hit the rewind button to 1970-----I was enjoying my first new bike, a nice red Honda 350 w/electric start A good way to get into cycling but just down the street from the Honda dealer was the BMW/Norton dealer, very small shop but great folks. My dream bike was going to be the Norton but money was tight and then I got married ....... my new bride thought the BMW would be fun for us but I never did take the plunge, should have. I still have the same bride, perhaps it's time to get that 1200RT even though she doesn't care to ride anymore

Thanks again for the advice!

Jon

PS---This forum is certainly more cordial than the Gold Wing board ..........
post #18 of 19 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 9:52 pm

Wink Re: Advice appreciated/new ride on the horizon

Jon,
Here's my 2 cents worth.
I'm semi-retired, practiced personal injury law and swore I'd never get on a bike to save my life. So when I turned 73 I took the MSF course, got my license and started renting. My first thought was I would ride a Gold Wing. Tried one...first bike I ever rented. A beast. But nice once I got moving. Then I dropped by a BMW dealer and they gave me an RT to ride for 3 days. Had a blast. Fell in love. Took it back and they suggested I try the 1300GT. Tried it and was frightened about the torque. Too much energy for me. Then I tried an LT and really fell in love. Looked at the internet and found an '03 LT which I promptly bought. Had 13,000 miles on it. I'm 6'1", 210 lbs and in good shape. Never rode a bike before in my life (except for about 10 hours on a 55cc Honda dirt bike about 40 years ago). I rode my new LT around town for a couple days and immediately took off on a 3000 mile trip from Los Angeles to Missoula, Montana. Visited some friends, went over to Spokane, Wash, down to Bend, Oregon, to Arcata, Cal and down the California coast back to LA. Loved every minute of it. 9 days. Would do it again in a minute. That was back in September '09. Been riding and loving it every since. If I had it to do over again, would seriously consider the RT but I like the extra space and weight of the LT. My wife isn't interested in riding with me so I do it solo. Have found some other LT riders in Southern California and have ridden with them a couple times. Looking forward to more. Did rent another Gold Wing when my LT was in the shop for maintenance and this time enjoyed the experience. But still prefer the LT. Thought I'd throw in some more info for you to consider. Whatever you decide, ride safe and have fun.
post #19 of 19 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 1:03 pm

I like Judge's analogy.. Rode it around a few days and then went on a 3000 mile trip.. The meals must taste better in Montana, eh? Just couldnt get that taste anywhere cept where that mountain air was...

Kinda why I really dig mine (looking at patio where the big girl resides right now).....

Happy riding whatever you ride..

Dr.Suess-
-

2001 BMW K1200LT
2007 BMW R 1200 GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in