Night Vision for Motorcycles - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 1:30 am Thread Starter

Night Vision for Motorcycles

I think that night vision for vehicles is very cool. I have seen the system that is in BMW cars. I like it a lot. I totaled my pickup when I hit a deer on a country road. I believe that a night vision system could have prevented that collision.

When I saw the article about night vision for motorcycles in BMW Owners News, I thought that would be a great product. The guy that wrote the article works for the infrared company, FLIR Systems.

They followed up with a survey to find out the level of interest in the biking community. I posted an informal survey in the survey section on this site, but the company is running their own survey too. As part of the survey they show a video with footage from their system. That is worth seeing. Link follows:

Night Vision Survey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 8:07 am

Re: Night Vision for Motorcycles

I still want that car the asian guy's were driving in Cannonball Run, heheh..night vision, all kinds of wild electronics..I still laugh about that one, when they passed the cop during the night at unreal speeds, no lights..

talk about night vision!

At least maybe some kind of radar for night. Getting older, anything will help with the degrading eyesight

for some reason i just love blasting down backroads at 140 in the pitch dark with my KS, not a real safe thing to do obviously. But I've always liked the dark, my fav time to perform in the Marines way back as well I quit doing that by the way, maybe I'm finally getting old enough to get smarter

I wonder how many folks here actually ride at night, I know a lot of bikers that won't do that. I don't always have a choice.
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 8:21 am

I ride at night...sometimes... I enjoy it as late as possible.. just before the bars close.. or an hour or so after is best.

Our area does not have many "deer kills"....but you don't have to ride far to get to areas where they frequent. Day or night... people still whack those horned rats.

To me, "night vision" is a great idea... I've often thought of it....but not "bike" centric. It needs to be built in to helmet/glasses so you can move your head around.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 5:21 pm

This is Darren Haley, the FLIR Systems, Inc. employee who put an infrared camera on my motorcycle. I was surprised to get a phone call this morning from my IT department telling me we were getting web traffic on my web survey over the holidays.

FLIR had originally created this survey in the fall of 2009 for a target audience of riding enthusiasts; it was not intended for participation outside a select audience. By the end of November most of the traffic on the web survey had tapered off. That is until this was posted on this site in late December. Since then we have seen a resurgence of surveys completed. In fact, some of the feedback we have received from members of this forum have proven very valuable and informative. So rather than try to shut down the survey, at this point I would like to encourage people to complete the survey.

The survey doesnít take long to complete and will help us determine if Night Vision for motorcycles is a business area that deserves more attention. I appreciate those of you who take the time to complete the survey and post comments. The comments do get read!

Click here to take the survey: Night Vision Survey

Thanks,
Darren

2001 BMW 1150GS <<< Night Vision installed here
2008 Husqvarna TE250
2002 Vespa 150LT (yes, I admit it)
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 5:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've been following the various auto night vision systems for a few years now. I do ride quite a lot at night and although my local area doesn't really have a deer problem, I've ridden through many places in the wee small hours where it is a significant concern.

The unit mentioned in the BMW MOA article is interesting since it is a fairly simple setup, borrowing a sensor from a different application and feeding its signal through a standard video feed into a normal GPS screen. The biggest downside so far seems to be cost (well over $1,000 at the moment, if it was commercially available).

Still, it looks like the best option so far for bike use. I've already talked with the guys who installed that very system on that bike, and now I need to chase down the guy who owns the bike and have a word or two with him.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 5:40 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Figures. I type out my response wishing I could talk with the owner and while doing so, he responds here.

Hi, Darren.

I'm an EE based in Oxnard that rides ~50K miles/year. I sure wouldn't mind meeting up with you for a chat sometime. Send me a Private Message here or an email at [email protected].

BTW, I did get a chance to chat with the guys at Ventura BMW about the install, but I had a few things I'd like to talk with you about directly. I know an awful lot of Long Distance riders that would love to have a system like this available . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 5:35 pm

Has anyone successfully projected a heads-up display onto the windscreen? For night vision to be most effective it would seem that you would have to have the image in view at all times rather than glancing at a GPS screen, although even that would be nice.

Chuck

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 9:13 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Depends where the screen is mounted. I have two GPS screens mounted very high and centered and I can easily see them while riding without taking my eyes off the road ahead.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in