Originally Posted by Lee510
I've got 40,600 miles on my factory shocks........
So, how can I tell? How do I know it's going to make that much difference to me?
I, too doubted... yeah, hard to believe hearing that from a deacon... but it is true.
The proof is in the ride. YOU may have hit an exceptional pair of shocks...and they are functioning well enough for your ride style.
I went to the dealer at 6k with "unusual noises" and was told.. "yup.. they all do that, it's just the sound of the suspension working."
Here are specifics I think might help.
- noise.. do you hear rattles from under the front when hitting "potholes"?
- if the roads you ride are relatively smooth, your "shocks" may NOT wear as quickly as others.... it's all about how much they have to WORK.
- springs on the shocks will "weaken" and soften up pretty quick... the springs support the bike and weight... so, loads, impacts/speed of impact will affect the "wear rate"
- do springs have any flaking paint?
- The ride seemed "soft", steering seemed "twitchy" in turns and straight line..
- preload changes on stock rear made ride "harsher".. seemed to feel like it would "lock" at a certain compression...adding oil much better support.. but not like the "W's"
- Removing shocks give you a chance to check other components for "slack", noise/wear.
- "cupping" of tires...
- unsure/slippery feeling in turns (not always the tire's or road surface fault)... tire should stay "stuck" ..
Aside from my limited experience with the Wilburs, Is there anyone "nearby" you who has made the upgrade and would let you "test" ride?
If you were closer we could arrange.
With Spring will come renewed riding interest... so, now is the time for you to find someone on the board who is interested in replacing their shocks... if you guys are close on the shock setup specs, You can, perhaps, offer to pay the shipping... to yourself, try the shocks and see if they make a difference.....
I think if "dealers" of these aftermarket products offered to provide a "test" set, they would sell a LOT more of them.
Sounds like they don't need the money or extra work.