Thinking about vision tour - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Question Thinking about vision tour

I now own a 2000 k1200lt. I took a test ride on a Victory Vision tour and thinking about trading for the Victory. Has any one rode one. five year warranty on 08 09 model years.how could i go wrong? The only thing I am troubled about is how hot is that engine going to be on a hot summer day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Thinking about vision tour

I like the bike.
My concern is that Victory dealers are dropping like flies making them harder to find than BMW dealers.

James Garner
Frisco, TX
BMWMOA #153642
2009 K1200LT
N5OOO
post #3 of 18 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Are you sure you wanna look at that thing sitting in your garage for 5 years??

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 18 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 11:58 am

I really want to like v-twins, but just can't seem to get into them, so take my comments below with a grain of salt.

I took an extended test ride on a Victory Vision Tour (with the topcase). I liked the size and balance, but it had many drawbacks.

* I am 5'10", but the shift and brake levers were too far forward for me. Nice and out of the way for the open highway if you don't shift or stop, but not so good for driving smaller roads or urban areas. I am sure I could get used to them quickly, however.

* Underpowered, and I didn't have a pillion or luggage. I am spoiled with my K1200GT, so I think everything seems underpowered in comparison.

* The right side case opened unexpectedly while riding. I had visually inspected all the cases before mounting the bike. Fortunately another rider warned me, and I pulled over and latched it well. Victory should add some type of visual indication when the cases are not fully latched.

* There is a lot of wasted space that could have been used for luggage, all in the name of "style".

I really want to like those bikes, but every time I ride one, I am reminded of how much I love my K1200GT.

If you have specific questions, please PM me. Remember, it was a one hour test ride, not ownership. YMMV.
post #5 of 18 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 4:28 pm

If a long warranty period is your main goal, a Yamaha Venture or Tour Deluxe would be a far better choice for a bike than the Vision, and there are many more Yamaha dealers than Victory dealers throughout the country.
post #6 of 18 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 8:20 pm

I test rode Vision a few times. Not a bad bike but puts out a lot heat`on to riders legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeit05
I now own a 2000 k1200lt. I took a test ride on a Victory Vision tour and thinking about trading for the Victory. Has any one rode one. five year warranty on 08 09 model years.how could i go wrong? The only thing I am troubled about is how hot is that engine going to be on a hot summer day?

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old Dec 18th, 2009, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Thinking about vision tour

I want toThank every one for there reply. I did not trade yet do not know if I would like it as much as I like my LT. The dealer let me ride it for the weekend. the wife and I road it around town for about an hour, in town riding is better than the LT when two up. the transmission sounds heavy and clunkey but the clutch seems to be stronger than the Lt. The LT is the best in the corners and for smooth acceleration to move you down the road. there is not one bike that has every thing.

Dale Witzenburg
Oskaloosa, Ia.
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Hi Dale,
I like the victory brand. I like to see the motor, and I like the styling and the feel. My favorite victory is actually the kingpin. I was looking to buy one as a second bike for around town. I would buy a vision tour, if I did not have the LT already. Though coincidently, I've recently been contemplating a victory vision tour trike. I only ride my LT solo since my collision with a cager. I'm lucky to still be alive and even luckier still to have two legs and be able to walk and ride, but I don't feel strong enough to hold up me, the LT, and a passenger, which is why I like the trike. Anyway you will have fun looking and evaluating that is for sure, I would. Happy Trails, Don.
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:42 pm

I looked at the Vision before I bought my LT. It's got that love it or hate it look. I loved it, unfortunately my better half hated it. If you haven't been there go to the Vision owners forum and get some good insight. They seem to be a pretty content group. The side case storage really isn't that good compared to the LT. Like someone else said beware of the dealer network. My local Polaris dealer just dropped the Victory line. He said they were good bikes but they just couldn't compete with Harley in this area. As a matter of fact I think they were the last Victory dealer in the state. 2008 was the first year so IMO I'd go for the 2009 if I was buying. With that Flux Capacitor looking puppy a year of practice building seems prudent.Good luck!

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Are you sure you wanna look at that thing sitting in your garage for 5 years??
That's kind of like what we said when shopping for a touring bike! My wife said "It looks cool NOW. But will we still think that in 2 or 3 years?"

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 8:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeit05
I want toThank every one for there reply. I did not trade yet do not know if I would like it as much as I like my LT. The dealer let me ride it for the weekend. the wife and I road it around town for about an hour, in town riding is better than the LT when two up. the transmission sounds heavy and clunkey but the clutch seems to be stronger than the Lt. The LT is the best in the corners and for smooth acceleration to move you down the road. there is not one bike that has every thing.

Dale Witzenburg
Oskaloosa, Ia.
BMW K GT is as close to "everything" as you can get, currently.

Build quality is not a confidence inspiring attribute of the Victory,
amazingly tho, with all that tupperware the Victory has a lower center
of gravity than the LT. Perhaps patience would be a virtue for you and
see what, if any "new" BMW LT arrives shortly.

Good Luck,
we are fortunate to have many choices.

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
post #12 of 18 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 1:21 pm

There's a Victory/BMW/Yamaha/John Deere dealership just north of us 20 miles and I've spent several hours there, not looking at tractors The BMW part of the show room is temporary as they are building a new stand alone building just south and west of Des Moines. They've done well selling the the Vic lines, it's a huge corporate dealership and they have several stores around Iowa and just took on the BMW line this last fall, I think it's going to be a good acquisition for them

I have looked hard at bikes since last fall, especially touring bikes. The new Victory Cross Country shows promise but it's still not where I want to be protection wise from the elements. The Vision, IMO, is a wonderful bike if you like the looks.... like someone else wrote, it's a love/hate relationship. There's a terrific review in the Sept. '09 issue of Rider comparing the touring cruiser shootout, Battle Of The Big Vees=Victory Vision, Star Venture, Kawasaki Voyager and Harley Ultra, it would be well worth your time to take a look at it.

One more thought--if you get a chance, take a look at the July '09 issue of Rider and see which bike won Motorcycle of The year, very interesting. I don't think there is one perfect bike out there for me, I need at least 3 in the garage But I think the divorce settlement would outweigh the advantage of such an arrangement

Good luck!
Jon
post #13 of 18 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 6:57 pm

My SO wants to start riding again. I have looked at the Victory, Goldwing and BMW LT as suitable mounts. My conclusion - I think I am going to wait. BMW will come out with their XXXXLT later this year and you can bet that the folks at Honda won't be far behind. Since big tourers only see real model change once a decade or so, I will just hang around and see what the new steeds look like before committing my cash. These bikes will be technologically superior in virtually every way to the ones they replace. If I really do like the old models better, they will be on sale at giveaway prices - so the worst that will happen is that I buy a pre-owned and get a great deal. I think I win either way.
post #14 of 18 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 8:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
My SO wants to start riding again. I have looked at the Victory, Goldwing and BMW LT as suitable mounts. My conclusion - I think I am going to wait. BMW will come out with their XXXXLT later this year and you can bet that the folks at Honda won't be far behind. Since big tourers only see real model change once a decade or so, I will just hang around and see what the new steeds look like before committing my cash. These bikes will be technologically superior in virtually every way to the ones they replace. If I really do like the old models better, they will be on sale at giveaway prices - so the worst that will happen is that I buy a pre-owned and get a great deal. I think I win either way.
Except...what are ya gonna ride between now and then???

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #15 of 18 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 8:17 pm

Wink Re: Thinking about vision tour

Quote:

Or you cash in your chips while waiting (who knows how long) and get to ride neither.
I would consider a used LT immediatly as they are a fantastic value when you find one properly maintained regardless of mileage.
Then you can trade/sell it for whatever you decide to get if and when the mfg's finally release something you can not live without.
Just my opinion, it's your money.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #16 of 18 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 7:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
What is that old adage . . . Never buy the first year of a new model . . or sumpthin like that ?
Get some wheels now and enjoy!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #17 of 18 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 10:29 pm

[QUOTE=PMitchell]What is that old adage . . . Never buy the first year of a new model . . or sumpthin like that ?
Get some wheels now and enjoy! [/QUOTE

Exactly, ask any early production owner of a 1200/1300GT,
let the bugs get worked out 1st, lots of very nice used LT's out there now.

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
post #18 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 7:41 am

That's if they even bother to work out the known bugs after 11 years.

Shall we start a list?

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in