Dog Carrier - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Dog Carrier

My wife and I recently got a tea cup miniture Schnauzer. My wife has been waring a chest carrier so the dog can ride with us on our K1200LT. Does anyone have other ideas or ways to carry a small dog on an LT?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 5:43 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Dog Carrier

I've seen people carry dogs on the top case rack in one of those dogie carriers that looks like a small purse or suit case...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcd
My wife and I recently got a tea cup miniture Schnauzer. My wife has been waring a chest carrier so the dog can ride with us on our K1200LT. Does anyone have other ideas or ways to carry a small dog on an LT?
Thanks
I carry KoKo, our 13 lb. poodle all the time - he absolutely loves to go touring. If I walk over toward the LT in the garage he'll jump up on the rear seat and whine, ready to go. We've done multi thousand mile trips without any issues.

I modified a carrier that is somewhat tubular in shape and has plastic "stays" in it. It also has mesh on three sides for excellent ventilation - which is of course EXTREMELY important since dogs can't sweat when it gets hot. I made him a VERY comfortable bed using the same visco foam I use in my seats. I made also a zip on top made from convertible window vinyl, the really thick stuff, to eliminate wind chill and rain when appropriate. It's big enough so that he can move around inside to change position. I would not want to confine a dog to a specific position for any length of time.

He always travels with a polyester fill vest to keep him warm, and he gets frequent stops - at least once an hour - to run around a bit.

I've tried carrying him behind us on the rack but no way since he is way too exposed to wind buffeting - he loves to sit in front of his dad and take in the scenery behind the wind shield. Bikers that carry their dogs on trailers behind the bike should be castrated - it REALLY pisses me off when I see that. I always ask them if they would put a 2 year old CHILD back there...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoKo's carrier 001.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	25403   Click image for larger version

Name:	KoKo's carrier 002.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	25404   Click image for larger version

Name:	KoKo's carrier 003.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	25405   Click image for larger version

Name:	KoKo's mc kennel 001.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	25406   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL seat and KoKo's new monkey 010.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	25407  

Name:	Utah vacation pictures 060.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	25408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah vacation pictures 087.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	740.4 KB
ID:	25409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah vacation pictures 108.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	25410  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 24th, 2009 at 6:36 pm.

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 6:31 pm
jsr

We have carried 2 different dogs for over 300,000 on different bikes. What has worked best for us is to use a book bag with long enough straps so that it rests on my wifes lap while riding. The dog is protected between the 2 of us and can still relocate within the bag for comfort. I will try to attach a picture.

Jeff
2005 K1200LT 204,000+ miles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	v505.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	25411  
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I carry KoKo, our 13 lb. poodle all the time - he absolutely loves to go touring. If I walk over toward the LT in the garage he'll jump up on the rear seat and whine, ready to go. We've done multi thousand mile trips without any issues.

I modified a carrier that is somewhat tubular in shape and has plastic "stays" in it. It also has mesh on three sides for excellent ventilation - which is of course EXTREMELY important since dogs can't sweat when it gets hot. I made him a VERY comfortable bed using the same visco foam I use in my seats. I made also a zip on top made from convertible window vinyl, the really thick stuff, to eliminate wind chill and rain when appropriate. It's big enough so that he can move around inside to change position. I would not want to confine a dog to a specific position for any length of time.

He always travels with a polyester fill vest to keep him warm, and he gets frequent stops - at least once an hour - to run around a bit.

I've tried carrying him behind us on the rack but no way since he is way too exposed to wind buffeting - he loves to sit in front of his dad and take in the scenery behind the wind shield. Bikers that carry their dogs on trailers behind the bike should be castrated - it REALLY pisses me off when I see that. I always ask them if they would put a 2 year old CHILD back there...
We've finally seen the softer side of Ron!

I'd take my dog, but he's about a 30 pounder, and won't fit for "three-up" riding!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 11:11 pm

A fellow in my club (Blackgoldbeemeers) has a hole cut in the top case lid of his LT (removed the rack) & his small Alaskan something rides there without trouble. He also has 1200GS & he has done a similar thing to the lid of one of the side bags.
And a warning is don't go near his bike's when the dog is there, he will rip your arm off

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #7 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 6:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
We've finally seen the softer side of Ron!

I'd take my dog, but he's about a 30 pounder, and won't fit for "three-up" riding!
LOL! Yeah, I've got a real "man's" dog....

Funny thing is, if I was single, he would be the best chick magnet a guy could ever have, and I think he just may have a higher IQ than his dad.

...but then again - 75 ain't hard to beat!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 9:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

well , ... here is a shot of our old dog carrier , & our new one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0465.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	25415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Email0001.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	25416  

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #9 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
LOL! Yeah, I've got a real "man's" dog....

Funny thing is, if I was single, he would be the best chick magnet a guy could ever have, and I think he just may have a higher IQ than his dad.

...but then again - 75 ain't hard to beat!
Now that's funny, speaking of "chick magnets"!

Back in my single days, I would volunteer to take my infant nephew shopping. Chicks always want to look at babies, and of course, they ask, "How old is your son?"

When they heard that I was just a single, caring uncle, I'd get the big "Awwwww, what a guy!", and a few dates...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Now that's funny, speaking of "chick magnets"!

Back in my single days, I would volunteer to take my infant nephew shopping. Chicks always want to look at babies, and of course, they ask, "How old is your son?"

When they heard that I was just a single, caring uncle, I'd get the big "Awwwww, what a guy!", and a few dates...
You dawg, you!

Make them come to you - I like the way you think!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
well , ... here is a shot of our old dog carrier , & our new one
Well, I never thought I would EVER use this word on a motorcycle forum - but that's just plain CUTE! Those are some very lucky pooches!

We've had an absolute blast taking KoKo along - people and especially kids - are just stunned when he leaps from the top of the "tank" and runs up to them - tail waggin' and tonque lickin' full speed.

In Carmel, CA we were literally invited INSIDE the best restaurants in town, the locals didn't even give him a glance as he settled in with a bowl of water and some treats from the staff.

Loews Resorts are exceptionally dog friendly as well - they even have special room service menus. If you let them know in advance you are traveling with a canine friend they'll have a special place mat, water and food bowls, some treats and a welcome letter from the General Manager - in your room ahead of time.

It is indeed a dog's life.

SMART business...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 13 Old Dec 18th, 2009, 11:56 pm
Super Moderator

Well - here you go!!

I believe that is a Schnauzer in the dog house . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #13 of 13 Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 6:39 am

There's nothing unmanly about traveling with poodles. Just ask John Steinbeck, Charley was a poodle. Napoleon used poodles as guard dogs. I have also heard that the bite pressure from a poodle exceeds that of most other dogs. (I'm waiting for Dr. Brady Barr to conduct further studies on this.)

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in