test rode the Spyder RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:35 am Thread Starter

test rode the Spyder RT

Wow, what a machine! They have really packed some nice engineering in those things.

We went on about a 30 -40 min test ride Sat. I had the option of the RS or the RT, so I took the RT. My buddy took the RS.

The RT was loaded: stereo, electric windshield, heated grips, cruise, electronic suspension, electronic parking brake, fog lights, and comfort seat.

How did it handle? Well, at first it felt really sketchy, like the frontend wanted to wander, but as the drive went along, I didn't seem as bad. Maybe because I bumped up the suspension. Going through sweepers, it felt like it wanted to go straight and I felt like I had to keep correcting in the curve. There again, I think that was me more than the "Roadster" (as they call it). It is a totally different riding style. You do not countersteer and you do not put your foot down at stops. There is no front brake lever. All the ABS brakes (standard) are linked to the foot brake (on the right, thank god). Before the ride they went over a "safety" talk and told us about the no brake lever and DO NOT put your foot down at stops. They also said it's easiest to use the footpegs to mount the Roadster just like you'd get on a horse. So, next was a warm up lap to get familiar with the thing. Just a small circle with a couple of stops and to get you used to the width of it and the turning. Well, first thing I did was throw a leg over. At 6'3", I don't need no stinkin' foot pegs to mount. Well, according to them, I do. So, off I go. First stop, ok. Second stop ok. I round the circle and come to a stop by the instructors, and what do I do? I reach for the brake lever, but catch myself, but not before the instructor sees me. Another hand slap. And instinctively, as I come to a stop, I put my left foot down. Another hand slap. But I did get to go for the ride.

As far as leg room, like I said I'm 6'3" and I was not cramped at all. There was one owner there that was 6'6" and he said he felt fine - maybe lower the pegs a little. He's added bar risers to his RS so he's not leaned over as far. Yes, the RS is sportier, where the RT is more positioned like the LT or Wing. BTW, the passenger floorboards are adjustable.

Power? Well, we didn't get a chance to open it up, so I'm really not sure. It seemed to me like doing 50 in 5th gear (5 speed gear box) was bogging it down. I think that Rotax engine likes 4 - 5K rpms. One thing for sure, a GT it ain't.

Now, here's some of stats, which I reckon you could look up on your own, but.....

RT - 100HP, 80ft/lbs torque
RS - 106Hp, 70ft/lbs

est gas mileage - RT - 30mpg
RS - 35mpg (owners were verifying this number)

Fuel cap - RT - ~6gals
RS - ~7gals

vehicle weight - RT - 929lbs
RS - 699lbs

load capacity - RT - 525lbs
RS - 440lbs

Pricing (MSRP) - RT - $21k - $25K
RS - $16K - $19K

http://spyder.brp.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	army1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	25260   Click image for larger version

Name:	army2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	25261   Click image for larger version

Name:	army3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	25262   Click image for larger version

Name:	owner1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	25263   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsnrt.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	25264  

Name:	RS-RT.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	25265   Click image for larger version

Name:	RS-RT.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	25266   Click image for larger version

Name:	rt.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	25267   Click image for larger version

Name:	starsnstripes1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	25268   Click image for larger version

Name:	starsnstripes2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	25269  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Re: test rode the Spyder RT

more pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	touring1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	25270   Click image for larger version

Name:	touring2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	25271   Click image for larger version

Name:	touring3.jpg
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	25272   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	25273   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	25274  

Name:	trailer3.jpg
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	25275  

Marshall, Tx

post #3 of 6 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:55 am

I'd like to have one of those for a 2nd bike. Of course the SO would probably ride it a lot too...
I think she's going to retire next year, & wants a Camaro or Mustang convertable. But maybe I can coerce?

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Would you buy one over a regular bike? And if you had health problems preventing you from riding, do you think its better than a trike or a hack?

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #5 of 6 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Would you buy one over a regular bike?

Good question. I don't think I would, but that friend I went with is serious about trading his B-King in on the RS because his wife is more comfortable on the Spyder.

Quote:
And if you had health problems preventing you from riding, do you think its better than a trike or a hack?
I like hacks, but I don't like trikes. If I had a choice between a hack, a trike or the Spyder, I'd definitely take the Spyder. I love the engineering in that thing. It's the type of vehicle I wouldn't hesitate riding in any weather. I don't like riding in the rain here in San Antonio because the roads get so slick, but with the Spyder's traction control and stability system, it would work great.

I would also seriously consider the Spyder as a 2-up tourer. I think the passenger would feel more secure and you definitely wouldn't have to worry about dropping the thing after a long day. The only drawback is the sucky gas mileage.

Marshall, Tx

post #6 of 6 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

I forgot to mention the service intervals. According to the factory guys, first service is at 600 miles(thats normal), then every 3K after that. But that's just fluids, and probably the belt drive. The valves are done every 12K. I did not think to ask the dealer what the service intervals would cost.

Marshall, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in