Gotta Love Southern Riders - Seriously!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 7th, 2009, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Gotta Love Southern Riders - Seriously!!

I've been in Arkansas for over a week helping my mother. She broke her shoulder and had to have surgery this past week to repair it (brought her home yesterday). She's doing well and a full recovery is expected after 6-8 weeks of recuperation and therapy. Needless to say it's been a very intense and stressful peroiod for all of us. Luckily my sister is here now as well and that's taking some of the pressure off, but it's been a tough week all around.

Her deacon at church stopped by last Sunday to check on her. He's ridden Harleys for a number of years and got his dream bike - 2007 Heritage Softail Classic - for his birthday this year. He's put about 5000 miles on it so he rides a good bit. Of course our conversation turned to bikes and riding and along the way he told me to come grab his bike if I want to take it for a ride. I said the polite, "sure, thank you" stuff as usual, not really expecting to go ride it. The next day his wife came by and dropped off the keys to the bike, and said to just come get it anytime I want to go! Since Mom was going into the hospital early Wednesday I wasn't able to ride beforehand, but he left the keys at her house anyway. Today I figured, what the hell, so I called and asked if it was OK. He was headed out of town but left a helmet and jacket on the seat of the bike in his carport and said come get it and go ride as much as I want. So I did! I rode a 70+ mile stretch of the Crowley's Ridge Parkway from Forrest City to Jonesboro and it was a blast! Had some lunch, turned around and rode the same scenic, winding tarmac all the way back home. Sunny, fall breeze, and 70 - 75 degrees all day. 140 or so miles of head cleansing motorcycling bliss!

I called him tonight to thank him and told him what a great time I had, and to meet up to return his keys. He wouldn't take them back; insisted I keep them and go for another ride tomorrow! And I really tried to give them back, but he would have none of it. So before he leaves for Sunday School in the morning he'll put the jacket, helmet and gloves back on the saddle, and I guess I get to go roam the countryside on his steed once again.

So, to John Harbin Sr., my 2 wheeled benefactor - Thank you, my riding brother, for bringing some much needed stress relief and biking happiness to an otherwise rough couple of weeks! There's a bike for you in California anytime you want to ride it!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 7th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Re: Gotta Love Southern Riders - Seriously!!

Hey Dave, Sorry to hear about your mom and gald it looks like a full recovery. I totaly understand what it is like to not have a ride, mine is gone now since July. I just returned to work finished my first week today. I am looking forward to getting back to 100%. My heart hurts when I hear a bike or see a rider.

I am so looking forward to getting back on the horse! To take a long ride.

Ride safe my brother!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Nov 7th, 2009, 10:26 pm

Ain't those 'pass it forward' moments awesome, David. Plus, I do declare - those nawthern Arkansas roads were laid out by bikers, for bikers - no matter the marquee!!

Good to hear that your Mom is gonna recover nicely - she's had some mighty good 'care and wellness' help, and with her positive attitude, I betcha Santa is gonna pay her some attention --- soon!!!

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 8:26 am Thread Starter

I am coming back at Christmas time, so she needs to get better so she can cook a bird!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #5 of 10 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 10:47 am

Sorry to hear about mom David.. That's tough duty to see your mom hurtin'...

Where exactly in Arkansas are you ?

We should get you over to Oark for a feedin while you're still here...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 10 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Faggot.... (see http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50886 and you'll understand!)

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #7 of 10 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Yup...he's a fag now.

post #8 of 10 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Sorry to hear about mom David.. That's tough duty to see your mom hurtin'...

Where exactly in Arkansas are you ?

We should get you over to Oark for a feedin while you're still here...

John
I'm in Forrest City in Northeast Arkansas, which is about 45 miles west of Memphis on I-40.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #9 of 10 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer608
Faggot.... (see http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50886 and you'll understand!)
Thanks, I'm feeling the love.

I haven't seen the episode but I've heard about it. Internet is too slow here to watch it online so I'll have to see it when I get home. I guess the possums aren't running in their wheels fast enough.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #10 of 10 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 9:42 am

If I had a HD, I'd be trying to give the keys away too, and I wouldn't want them back either !

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in