GT vs RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

GT vs RT

Now that my wife is riding her own bike and loving it, I am wanting to step down from the LT to perhaps a used GT or R1200RT, maybe an '04 to '06. Any suggestions on which is preferable?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: GT vs RT

GT more powerful, faster, 4 cyl, liquid cooled,modern design, a blast to ride shorter distances in my opinion, RT more comfortable, better handling, better wind protection, lighter, 2 cyl air cooled,simpler older proven design, not as smooth as the LT or the GT, my choice when I traded my LT for an 08 RT, love it, good luck with you choice,
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 4:20 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Any suggestions on which is preferable?
Yes. Ride them both then make up your own mind.

Seriously, both are fine bikes and either will do what you want. But they are different flavors, so you gotta find which suits you best. It's like asking if you prefer creamy or chunky peanut butter.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 4:24 pm

I couldn't agree more with the above posts. You really need to ride them both and then decide. I'm a 4 cyl type of guy I went to the dealer to by a GT. Test rode both and went home with a RT. Couldn't be happier
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 6:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferna12
GT more powerful, faster, 4 cyl, liquid cooled,modern design, a blast to ride shorter distances in my opinion, RT more comfortable, better handling, better wind protection, lighter, 2 cyl air cooled,simpler older proven design, not as smooth as the LT or the GT, my choice when I traded my LT for an 08 RT, love it, good luck with you choice,
Interesting. I've been looking at a 2008 RT. Thanks for you summary.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #6 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 6:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yes. Ride them both then make up your own mind.

Seriously, both are fine bikes and either will do what you want. But they are different flavors, so you gotta find which suits you best. It's like asking if you prefer creamy or chunky peanut butter.
This is, of course, good advice. But to really get a feel for a bike, I think I need a longer and more elaborate test ride than most dealers want to give. Know what I mean?

Greg

post #7 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 9:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
This is, of course, good advice. But to really get a feel for a bike, I think I need a longer and more elaborate test ride than most dealers want to give. Know what I mean?
If you are a serious buyer, some BMW dealers will allow you to take a weekend test ride.

Another option is to rent each bike and decide. Compared with your investment in a new bike, a rental is cheap insurance to make sure you are getting exactly what best fits your needs. I rented several bikes before buying my K1200GT. IMHO, the rental money was well spent, as I learned which bikes are NOT a good fit for my riding needs.
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 1:35 pm

"Another option is to rent each bike and decide. Compared with your investment in a new bike, a rental is cheap insurance to make sure you are getting exactly what best fits your needs. I rented several bikes before buying my K1200GT. IMHO, the rental money was well spent, as I learned which bikes are NOT a good fit for my riding needs."

+1 for the above comments.

'05 1200 RT, Ruby, as in RED, '04 1150 RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto,
'93 Yamaha Seca II, '93 K1100RS (Silk Blue), '83 Yamaha Maxim 750
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
If you are a serious buyer, some BMW dealers will allow you to take a weekend test ride.

Another option is to rent each bike and decide. Compared with your investment in a new bike, a rental is cheap insurance to make sure you are getting exactly what best fits your needs. I rented several bikes before buying my K1200GT. IMHO, the rental money was well spent, as I learned which bikes are NOT a good fit for my riding needs.
Hadn't thought of that. Good idea.

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in