Have a couple hundred thousand injury-free miles behind you? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 8:46 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Have a couple hundred thousand injury-free miles behind you?

If so, this isn't 'luck'. There must be a reason.
How about we try to define that reason?
If you had just ONE line to pass on to other riders - what would it be?

Mine would be:
Be a Paranoid rider - treat every driver like he is out to get you.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 8:50 am

Re: Have a couple hundred thousand injury-free miles behind you?

Ride like you're invisible.Nobody sees you or gives you the right of way.

P. s. How long before anyone on this site says " Loud pipes save lives" ?

Jeff Bokusky

Shoreview ,Mn.

2001 K1200LT ---
1973 Harley FLH 96 c.i.
1948 Harley EL 88 c.i.
1985 kawasaki KX250
1993 honda XR 200--
1978 Triumph Bonneville
post #3 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefMn
Ride like you're invisible.Nobody sees you or gives you the right of way.

P. s. How long before anyone on this site says " Loud pipes save lives" ?
Someone just did .....

The best advice I got was that everything within 100 yds. of you is trying to kill you.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654

post #4 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

See everything, look at nothing.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:04 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
I like that one a lot

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #6 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt

Jer
I llike that a lot as well. My usual answer is to ride as if you're invisible. I have always driven every vehicle with this philosophy, including my full sized truck and it keeps me out of trouble.

The "see everything, look at nothing" is one I had not considered, but now that you mention it, I like it even better. I have a yellow GS with Touratech boxes and a ham radio antenna and I work and live in a fairly small and rural area. I'm very easy to spot and I'm spotted a lot. Several of my co-workers and friends often comment that they see me on the bike all the time. In no case have I ever seen them waive at me. Only other rides can figure out why I can see the car but not the driver.

Good topic.
post #7 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:29 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109
Several of my co-workers and friends often comment that they see me on the bike all the time. In no case have I ever seen them waive at me.
Yep - loads of people think I am being ignorant in not waving back - I don't see them.
So this tell us what? My guess is we somehow 'instinctively' know some of the 'essential' ways of surviving on a bike without being consciously aware of them. No one ever told me that I should see but not look before today - but that is what I do.
The question is - can we teach something that is instinctive to some, but not others?

Keep them rolling in!

post #8 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:31 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Ride it like you stole it!
Has that philosophy of riding seriously kept you out of the hospital for "a couple hundred thousand injury-free miles"?

post #9 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:45 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yes.

That and a few other idoms of wisdom.

= Tongue N Cheek
Come on 'court jester', you have been riding for a while (or whatever classes as a very long while). Your alive. How do you do it?

I almost lost a good riding buddy last week. The weekend before we had gone out for a ride. He lost his cool and took off, scraping his 1970s pegs on every corner till I lost sight of him. He didn't know the road, what was round the next bend or even how old the tyres were on that old bike of his. Hit a car last week and if anyone had asked me 'who just came off' - he would have been top of my guess list.

So what can I instil in him before his legs mend?

post #10 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 11:42 am

Training and more Training. Important enough for me to say it twice.

There are some good riders out there who spend alot of time learning good riding techniques, and in some cases will teach through structured learning in a class room, followed up by time on the road for little or no reward.

I concider myself a good rider, but every couple of years I do a Ride Safe training weekend with the local Motorcycle Police, and hope to keep my body in one piece.

+ side to riding with local plod, they get to know you, and know you are a safe rider, and might just turn a blind eye if you ride a little quicker

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #11 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 11:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Yep - loads of people think I am being ignorant in not waving back - I don't see them.
So this tell us what? My guess is we somehow 'instinctively' know some of the 'essential' ways of surviving on a bike without being consciously aware of them. No one ever told me that I should see but not look before today - but that is what I do.
The question is - can we teach something that is instinctive to some, but not others?

Keep them rolling in!
I was actually taught this as a way to drive a car. I was 14 when my friends brother came back from Vietnam. He taught us how to drive his car. He was a Green Beret and knew the skills to stay alive while crawling into tunnels. He mentioned a few examples such as scanning the mirrors and noticing unusual movement, like that of feet or bike tire moving under a parked car. Then he mentioned "See everything and look at nothing". My guess is that's what he did in all aspects of his life.
So, I guess this concept can be taught.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #12 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 11:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
If so, this isn't 'luck'. There must be a reason.
How about we try to define that reason?
If you had just ONE line to pass on to other riders - what would it be?

Mine would be:
Be a Paranoid rider - treat every driver like he is out to get you.
Since you gave me only one line and I want to squeeze the most out of it, here it is:

Read "Proficient Motorcycling", "More Proficient Motorcycling", "Sport Riding Techniques", and "Total Control" and then practice until the lessons you have learned become second nature.
post #13 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 12:52 pm

Exactly what Mom said - right after she almost took me out at an intersection - "I couldn't see you!"

Has worked well for 50 years, except for the time an angry SUV attacked my m/c, with me on it. Not bad, considering over 100K just on BMWs. Got away with minor stuff (and a free triple bypass).

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #14 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 2:34 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Ok, You Asked: Safe Riding Intentions
You know, I have used mantras in many areas of my life, but never thought for a second to use one for my riding. I can even scientifically justify a mantra such as this - No one likes to be wrong, so pick a good mantra and you MAKE it happen - it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

I like it.

post #15 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 5:23 pm

Quote:
Ok, You Asked: Safe Riding Intentions
I like it, sort of setting the scene for your ride. I kind of do something similar, I kind of picture my ride if going over familier ground, or image an enjoyable trip if I'm covering new ground.

Think I'll still invest time in the training, and keep picking up the couple of books I have, and maybe I'll buy a new jacket. This one leaks a little in heavy rain which tends to put me off riding in the crappy weather we get here.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #16 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 5:43 pm

Trust your pessimistic instincts!

As you gain judgment from your experiences you will have a larger "library" of instincts.

I see things such as a truck with a water heater laying crossways on the flat bed in front of me.

My thoughts are "that thing could roll off there"....and it did! I was perpared for it so I avoided it.

This is an actual event that happened to me.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #17 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 5:56 pm

"Fate is the hunter."

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #18 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 8:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I guess it is the same thing that kept me alive for 6 years on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. Have your head on a swivel and be AWARE of everything around you and process the threats subconsciously while focusing on the more imminent dangers without sacrificing your peripheral vision. Tough one to teach to someone.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #19 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:38 pm

What my momma shouted to me when I slammed the door behind me and left home when I turned 18:

"Son, you're not good lookin' - don't be stupid!"

I say this out loud to myself every time I ride or fly as part of my "pre-flight" brain and hardware inspection.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #20 of 26 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 3:18 am
Enjoy The Ride

If you have very many accidents in the four wheelers then you don't belong on a motorcycle.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #21 of 26 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 4:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

When you're busy patting yourself on the back because you think you're a good rider, remember that the most dangerous part on a motorcycle is the nut holding the bars!

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #22 of 26 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 7:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Just one? Apologies for offering two:

1. "Let it go". A lesson learned from this site. To me, this means not taking personally the actions of the inconsiderate, unaware, or clueless drivers out there. If someone cuts you off, for example, you don't have to catch up to him to let him know your feelings about his actions.

2. "Relax". As in: take it easy, slow down (sometimes ), take time to smell the roses, ride your own ride. Maybe this is a variant of the classic "speed kills", although you could also make the argument that sometimes speed saves.

Great topic!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #23 of 26 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 7:09 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Just one? Apologies for offering two:

1. "Let it go". A lesson learned from this site. To me, this means not taking personally the actions of the inconsiderate, unaware, or clueless drivers out there. If someone cuts you off, for example, you don't have to catch up to him to let him know your feelings about his actions.!
I think this can be taken in many useful ways.
I was told during my driving lessons that if I made a mistake, I should learn from it, but not let it bug me to the extent that it made me make more mistakes - If I made a mistake, the instructor would just say quietly and calmly "let it go".
Another way to take it is in letting every day life effect your riding. When I put on my leathers, I am changing not just what I wear, but my attitude. I am preparing mentally as well as phisically, for something that is very serious. If I am stressed about something, that gets left behind as I get ready for the ride. The ride itself should never be a way of blasting out anger etc.

post #24 of 26 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 9:55 am

This topic reminds me that riding a motorcycle is a lot like self defense. I have taken a number of firearm training classes and read a lot of books on the topic and its amazing just how much overlap there is with the motorcycle survival discussion. The two parts that really stand out are taining and mindset. The best shooters take lots of classes, including ones that are seemingly below their skill level. Its a refresher and always reminds the participant that they still have to focus on the basics.

The other part is the concept of mindset. A guy named Jeff Cooper had the color code of mental awareness. Condition white was relaxed and unaware. Condition yellow was alert and aware, but not focused on a specific threat. Orange was that a threat had been identified and that becomes our primary focus. Red is actively engaged in a fight or conflict which takes up all of our energy.

Living in condition yellow isn't easy. It means constant vigilance, but not to the point where it interferres in our ability to have fun and enjoy life. It just means being aware of our surroundings in a way that most people don't. It means scanning and not being surprised... ever. It works for self defense and it works for riding a motorcycle.
post #25 of 26 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 5:31 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefMn
....P. s. How long before anyone on this site says " Loud pipes save lives" ?
Have your loud pipes facing FORWARD!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #26 of 26 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 7:07 pm

My dad passed his love for riding on to me and my two brothers. His advise way back in time before any safety training was popular. Never think your to good or the beast will burn you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in